• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Combined Ashes XI after 4 tests

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Look maybe am biased on the Haze/Starc thing, but Finn ahead of Anderson is madness. Finn has performed excellently in one test this summer, where Jimmy also had a stellar game. His spell at Edgbaston first dig was every bit as series defining, in terms of the result, as Broad's at TB. He therefore also gets in ahead of Haze at the very least, and I would say Starc too.<br> 

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look maybe am biased on the Haze/Starc thing, but Finn ahead of Anderson is madness. Finn has performed excellently in one test this summer, where Jimmy also had a stellar game. His spell at Edgbaston first dig was every bit as series defining, in terms of the result, as Broad's at TB. He therefore also gets in ahead of Haze at the very least, and I would say Starc too.<br>*
This is an XI based on the English test summer to date, not based on their careers, so it's not that strange to think Finn has been more impressive in his 3 tests than Jimmy has in his 5.

As I said above, Jimmy had beautiful conditions to bowl in at Headingley vs. NZ, so not sure the fact he missed TB puts him at such a disadvantage.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only downside to Jimmeh was that he was totally ineffectual in good batting conditions at Lords #that'sthewayherolls

But it's rare when he isn't the first paceman picked in England and this isn't one of those times

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hard to justify Cook's selection on captaincy alone unless it's an Ashes XI - let him captain, bat him at 5 (no-one else) and hope someone runs the **** out

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only downside to Jimmeh was that he was totally ineffectual in good batting conditions at Lords #that'sthewayherolls

But it's rare when he isn't the first paceman picked in England and this isn't one of those times

Perhaps I should have been clearer. The XI is supposed to be based on performances this English summer, not based on the best team you can pick from the 3 sides generally. If that was the criteria, Jimmy would make it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This is an XI based on the English test summer to date, not based on their careers, so it's not that strange to think Finn has been more impressive in his 3 tests than Jimmy has in his 5.

As I said above, Jimmy had beautiful conditions to bowl in at Headingley vs. NZ, so not sure the fact he missed TB puts him at such a disadvantage.
Yeah I understand that but Finn hasn't been more impressive than Anderson. In the one match where Finn shone, Jimmy did too, and though Finn was a deserved MOTM, it was Anderson's first innings sixfer that win us that game

In the other games he's played, Finn has not done enough to have outperformed Anderson. IMO

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Anderson's had 3-4 really good matches, Finn has had one good match and one ok match.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Slightly non-Ashes related, but what about the best XI of the English test summer to date?

Rogers
Cook *
Williamson
Smith
Root
Stokes
Watling +
Broad
Hazel/Starc/Finn
Lyon
Boult

Handy side.
Take it to the English Test Summer subbie then.