• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Combined XI from the first test

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cummins is averaging 46 with the bat, which is higher than his highest score of 44. He's been out 3 times in the 40s and was not out for 11 in one innings. Remarkable consistency.

Gob

International Coach
Smitteh should stop making *** doing that enforcer ****. Wish he could get the new pill

Tannhauser

Cricket Spectator
Stoneman for Bancroft.
Bairstow for Paine.

Otherwise Aus.

EDIT: Should have read the subject header. At least it would explain 4 Englishmen being "reasonable"...

Last edited:

stephen

Forgot to do this after the 4th test.

Warner
Cook
Root
Smith (c)
Malan
S Marsh
Bairstow (w/k)
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood
Anderson

Cummins (12th)

Cook in for Stoneman, Root in for M Marsh, batting order shuffles down one.

TNT

Banned
Forgot to do this after the 4th test.

Warner
Cook
Root
Smith (c)
Malan
S Marsh
Bairstow (w/k)
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood
Anderson

Cummins (12th)

Cook in for Stoneman, Root in for M Marsh, batting order shuffles down one.
Root wont bat at three.

Root averages 40
MMarsh averages 109

stephen

Root wont bat at three.

Root averages 40
MMarsh averages 109
Root has been consistently decent, Marsh has made one score. It's a toss up really both are making arguments for their inclusion. Another 50+ from Marsh will get him into the team barring 2nd innings heroics by Root.

TNT

Banned
Root has been consistently decent, Marsh has made one score. It's a toss up really both are making arguments for their inclusion. Another 50+ from Marsh will get him into the team barring 2nd innings heroics by Root.

cough cough Cook.

TNT

Banned
Agreed but Cook's one score is better than Bancroft's one score and is better than Stoneman's three or so mediocre scores.
Replace Cook with Root

Warner
Root
Smith (c)
Malan
S Marsh
MMarsh
Paine (w/k)
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood
Anderson

TNT

Banned
For the series I think the team picks itself

Warner
Root
Kahwaja
Smith (c)
S Marsh
MMarsh
Paine (w/k)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warner
Cook
Smith
S Marsh
Malan
M Marsh
Bairstow
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
Anderson

Toughest deicisions were which keeper to pick and which of the 5 bowlers to leave out. I understand Starc had the best figures of the 5, but I think he bowled the worst of them. As for the keeper, Bairstow pinches it on the grounds that he scored a century.

Cook only makes it as I didn’t want to have someone who didn’t open opening the batting. Otherwise, I’d pick Khawaja.

stephen

My team of the series:

Warner
Cook
Root
Smith (c)
S Marsh
M Marsh
Bairstow (wk)
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

Malan and Anderson both unlucky to miss out.

stephen

Warner
Cook
Smith
S Marsh
Malan
M Marsh
Bairstow
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
Anderson

Toughest deicisions were which keeper to pick and which of the 5 bowlers to leave out. I understand Starc had the best figures of the 5, but I think he bowled the worst of them. As for the keeper, Bairstow pinches it on the grounds that he scored a century.

Cook only makes it as I didn’t want to have someone who didn’t open opening the batting. Otherwise, I’d pick Khawaja.
I agree somewhat about the bowlers. The reason I choose Starc is that he has the ability to pick up wickets when nobody else can on dead wickets. We may have won in Melbourne if he played over Bird.

TNT

Banned
Warner
Cook
Smith
S Marsh
Malan
M Marsh
Bairstow
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
Anderson

How could Starc have bowled worse than any of them if he had the best figures, he took 22 wickets @ 23.5 thats how bad he bowled.

As for the keepers Bairstow batting ave 34 and Paine 48.

Khawaja average 47.5 Malan 42.5

stephen

Not everything is about averages. Khawaja was disappointing for most of the series while Malan was one of the key English batsmen. I thought his series was better than Khawaja's.

TNT

Banned
Not everything is about averages. Khawaja was disappointing for most of the series while Malan was one of the key English batsmen. I thought his series was better than Khawaja's.
No its about scoring runs, Khawaja scored 333 runs and made more runs per wicket than every single english batsman.

Daemon

Since you love stats so much Malan scored his runs against bowlers averaging 25 for the series while Khawaja scored against bowlers averaging everything from 27 to a million.

TheJediBrah

Warner
Cook
Khawaja
Smith
S.Marsh
M.Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Hazlewood
Lyon
Anderson

Tried to add more Englishmen but picking Bairstow over Paine, or Malan over any of the others just wouldn't make sense