• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commentary Thread

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Martyn was one of those guys like Gillespie who came into that series off great periods in their careers but as soon as the series began seemed to be immediately past it. Probably a combination of being given a thorough working over by a good team and time actually catching up with them. But they were probably Australia's best players the year before in the successful India tour, and Martyn scored tons of runs in the home series before the Ashes. Certainly would have been expected to contribute against England. At least with Gillespie there were some warning signs in New Zealand in the previous series.

Riggins

International Captain
Martyn also seemed to suffer disproportionately from shocking umpiring decisions.
I'm obviously biased cos I ****ing love the guy, but he got absolutely sawn off that series. His struggles were very different to say Gilchrist or Hayden who genuinely didn't even look like making any.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm obviously biased cos I ****ing love the guy, but he got absolutely sawn off that series. His struggles were very different to say Gilchrist or Hayden who genuinely didn't even look like making any.
Saw you'd posted and knew it would be defending Martyn

Fairly I might add. There's one that sticks in the mind where we appeal for lbw, Slater goes 'inside edge' finger goes up, he says, 'oh I thought I heard an inside edge!' and then lo and behold replay shows huge edge

I mean hey I don't specifically remember that the batsman was Martyn so I could be making myself look very silly but

Riggins

International Captain
You could probably also consider him facing a Giles delivery that actually spun the unluckiest of the lot, too.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Saw you'd posted and knew it would be defending Martyn

Fairly I might add. There's one that sticks in the mind where we appeal for lbw, Slater goes 'inside edge' finger goes up, he says, 'oh I thought I heard an inside edge!' and then lo and behold replay shows huge edge

I mean hey I don't specifically remember that the batsman was Martyn so I could be making myself look very silly but
It was 2nd dig at Old Trafford and Slater's line was "I thought I heard 2 noises."

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still marvel at Ponting's ton that day. Played on a different wicket to everyone else.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
RE: the channel nine coverage; they set up their coverage to appeal to the general fan to get as many ratings as possible during summer, it's coverage designed for anyone.

The Ashes is always going to have the dedicated cricket fan watching, not so much the casual fan as there is normal television programming at that stage of the season, and that time of night. Yet they are still providing coverage for the "everyman".

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There is a slightly different tone to the coverage I think. You don't get a "phwoah" or a "SMAAAASH" every third ball without Brayshaw there, there's less of an obvious effort to hype up ordinary stuff and only two people in the box instead of three calms it down a bit too. But it's really a personnel thing at this point. Healy and Warne are always going to provide a similar sort of commentary experience. When it's Taylor with Lloyd or something you get a slightly more channel 9 of the past feel, though there's obviously still some directives to not leave empty space between deliveries without talking about something etc.

I've been watching a bit on both Sky and Nine and the difference in quality really is amazing. Even at its worst Sky is tolerable, and some of the random things that the Nine guys appear to be instructed to do make so little sense to me, like talking over the third umpire during reviews so you can't understand the umpire or the commentator since they are speaking at the same time. Or the sense you get that the bowler delivering the ball is an inconvenient interruption to a commentary anecdote. Whatever flaws Sky has, Nine makes them seem totally insignificant.

Botham is pretty **** though.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I've long been convinced that the guys on 9 are contractually obliged to say a minimum amount of words per minute.

Midwinter

State Captain
The C9 commentators are directed to speak as if their audience are people who don't anything about cricket, ever since the WSC days. It hasn't changed.

Sky is a revelation to Australian cricket fans who have had watch C9 all their lives.

In fact it wasn't till I heard Ritchie Benaud on the BBC commentary in 2005 that I realised why the Poms thought he was a good commentator.On C9 he was plain boring most of the time, better that than the rest but boring just the same.
It just made me more annoyed with C9 that they had denied us the Ritchie that the English got to listen to.