• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Crap bowling spells thread

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
He's an extremely promising 3rd seamer, lower order batsman and fielder who should be viewed as a future captain. He has been thrown in to a position he is nowhere near ready for and it shows. He used to bowl reasonably well at the death with some nice yorkers but since he became captain he has been pulverised in thoise death overs.

What I will say though is that he is a real man and doesn't shirk his responsibility and hide himself in the middle overs like Sammy used to when he was captain.
He's straight-up not a death bowler. Bring him on with the new ball to hit a length, move it either way, and then bowl him out by the 35th. And his batting looks quality -- I've been really impressed by him as a player in this World Cup.

Your point about Sammy is, and I'm sorry to be so blunt here, utter garbage. Sammy is an incredibly limited bowler and him being a "real man" (also, holy **** that idea is completely antiquated and utter bull**** on its own) by bowling at the death would have been literally the worst thing he could have done for the team.

This is why I don't like bowlers as captains more generally -- if they don't bowl at the death because they're **** death bowlers, their masculinity is called into question. Or they try to act all macho by bowling at the death when others are far more suited to it to avoid said masculinity being called into question.

Holder should not have been bowling death overs in this tournament if he could avoid it. It was poor captaincy (and lack of options) that he did so, and I think it speaks volumes about the state of West Indian cricket that he felt the need to continually do that to (presumably) try to gain the respect of his teammates.

Niall

International Coach
Dale Steyn World Cup Semi Final.

Lost them the game to cap of a ****e world cup campaign.

Should retire from Limited overs cricket immediately.

Shady Slim

International Coach
He was dreadful in the world cup semi final last year against India as well, feel for Morne as he stepped up today massively though.:ph34r:
yeah if by some chance steyn bowled a top last over and the saffas won I would have given the motm to Morkel

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Corey Anderson yesterday bowled absolute trash. All three of his wickets were from poor balls, his use of the short ball was baffling and atrocious in equal measure and it was staggering to me that he was bowled again for his last over given how poorly he'd bowled in the preceding one. Yes, his wickets were useful but people can still take wickets with absolute tripe in ODIs at times (c.f. Mitch McClenaghan).

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't you know he's NZ's premier death bowler? No way would SA have scored >300 if they played the 50 after the break. /hendrix :ph34r:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Corey's job is to be unpredictable and troll batsmen into poor shots. It's no fluke that he so consistently gets wickets with poor balls, it's because he genuinely unsettles batsmen and makes them take him on.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Dale Steyn World Cup Semi Final.

Lost them the game to cap of a ****e world cup campaign.

Should retire from Limited overs cricket immediately.
No way. Steyn didn't bowl badly, he simply got dismantled. Firstly by McCullum, and then by Vettori and Elliott's almost psychic ability to guess where he was going to bowl.

OverratedSanity

Steyn was just ok... average. Nothing crap about his spell. McCullum just had one of his crazy days and it came off. Even the final over was fine... the boundary which Dan squeezed away which kept NZ alive was off pretty much a perfect wide yorker. There's not much a bowler can do when that happens.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Corey Anderson yesterday bowled absolute trash. All three of his wickets were from poor balls, his use of the short ball was baffling and atrocious in equal measure and it was staggering to me that he was bowled again for his last over given how poorly he'd bowled in the preceding one. Yes, his wickets were useful but people can still take wickets with absolute tripe in ODIs at times (c.f. Mitch McClenaghan).
How well did everyone else bar Morkel bowl at the death?

Does anyone bowl well at Eden Park in the last 15 overs when there are wickets in hand?

OverratedSanity

How well did everyone else bar Morkel bowl at the death?

Does anyone bowl well at Eden Park in the last 15 overs when there are wickets in hand?
Haha you just completely contradicted your own position in that other thread then. If you truly believe what you said here, then there's now way you can honestly say SA wouldn't have got to 350 if they'd got the 50 overs.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Haha you just completely contradicted your own position in that other thread then. If you truly believe what you said here, then there's now way you can honestly say SA wouldn't have got to 350 if they'd got the 50 overs.
not really, i just said noone bowls well.

you don't really have to bowl all that well to get wickets if the batsmen are swinging for the fences in the last 15, those wickets always look jammy as ****.

OverratedSanity

not really, i just said noone bowls well.

you don't really have to bowl all that well to get wickets if the batsmen are swinging for the fences in the last 15, those wickets always look jammy as ****.
You're really clutching at straws now.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hendrix is copping a lot of flak on this Anderson-death thing.

And to set things straight, no Anderson isn't our premier death bowler. Southee is. However Anderson is still expected to bowl 4+ death overs in the current NZ bowling plan. That is his role in the team. In the last 15 we usually have Southee with between 3-5 overs, Boult 0-2, Milne/3rd seamer - 3-4 oversand Anderson the rest.

He isn't a bowler we really expect to go under 8 an over, he is there because we back him to not get absolutely taken to pieces and to give us the flexibility to bowl our swing bowlers heavily up front.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Anderson is really an ODI bowler who invariably bowls many of his overs in T20 conditions (which is why his strike rate is almost as good as Starc's). He has enough variability that batsmen can't just predict where the ball will be and premeditate a slog off it.

He needs a bit more pace if he's going to keep bowling that shorter ball though. Was slapped with ease through midwicket against SA.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How is that relevant. His bowling was **** throughout. As I've said in my original post, in particular his use of the short ball was staggeringly poor and his execution of it was even worse. He's a much better bowler than he showed yesterday. I somehow assumed someone had asked him to fill the McClenaghan 'bowl poorly, take wickets' role. I honestly can't see how anyone can think that was anything other than a poor spell yesterday - which is a completely separate argument to whether he's a decent death bowler or not.

And as to your other point regarding how well did everyone else bowl at the death - well, you point me in the direction of a South African who gave away so many short-ball wides as Anderson:

Anderson to Rossouw, 1 wide, starts with a bouncer first up. The crowd boos as it is called wide for height. It is touch and go on height. Rossouw's legs are bent and this has gone just over the head
Anderson to de Villiers, 1 wide, bouncer again, and called wide on height again. Might have been down leg too
Anderson to Miller, 1 wide, bouncer, leg-stump line, pretty high, Rod Tucker at square leg makes a late call for a wide
Anderson to Duminy, 1 wide, this is called a wide. Height, I presume? Anderson goes for the bouncer, and he has let it go

Got away with this one as well:

Anderson to Duminy, no run, Duminy looks to shuffle across and go over short fine leg, but has been beaten by the pace of a short ball from Anderson. Ronchi doesn't allow a bye

Plus the du Plessis wicket. Which was an awful ball and (fortunately) an equally poor/unfortunate shot in the circumstances.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Look I agree that he bowled poorly but the short ball plan at the death is specific to Eden Park and actually works surprisingly often.

Blame Shane Bond for the plan, although yeah the execution was poor.

The flexibility of Anderson going at 8-9 an over at the death is what allows us to keep bringing S&B back for spells and allows us to pick Henry over McCleneghan.

Southee is our best death bowler but after that we just don't have anyone all that grew so Anderson is our best bet.