• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Crap Innings thread

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Smith allowed Finch to play the innings he did. If Smith was struggling a little himself, Finch would have tried to hit himself into some better nick earlier and taken the game on; but there was no need to while Smith was taking the mickey out of it.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Finch didn't play a bad innings up until the point that he got out. That was an absolutely awful time to get out, and a horrid shot to get out to at that point. He had Smith take charge and take the responsibility for the team for his whole innings, so he could do what he did and play scratchy cricket to get himself in, and as soon as he was required to step up and take charge he played a honkin' shot and got out, putting two batsmen with 0 balls under their belt at the crease.

tl; dr, the innings was neither bad nor good until he threw it away at an awful stage to throw an innings like that away,

Spark

Global Moderator
Finch didn't play a bad innings up until the point that he got out. That was an absolutely awful time to get out, and a horrid shot to get out to at that point. He had Smith take charge and take the responsibility for the team for his whole innings, so he could do what he did and play scratchy cricket to get himself in, and as soon as he was required to step up and take charge he played a honkin' shot and got out, putting two batsmen with 0 balls under their belt at the crease.

tl; dr, the innings was neither bad nor good until he threw it away at an awful stage to throw an innings like that away,
pretty much this. some serious nonsense being spouted in the match thread though - "worst innings of the modern era", for real?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
pretty much this. some serious nonsense being spouted in the match thread though - "worst innings of the modern era", for real?
Yeah, my timeline was almost as bad with people spouting "Watson trying to lose us the game here" and other such garbage. Wonder if anyone has ever played a game of cricket where they weren't 12 beers deep in the backyard facing their alcoholic fathers offies.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, my timeline was almost as bad with people spouting "Watson trying to lose us the game here" and other such garbage. Wonder if anyone has ever played a game of cricket where they weren't 12 beers deep in the backyard facing their alcoholic fathers offies.
Tbf those decks can turn square out of the loose pavers.

dfrinku

U19 Debutant
I thought Dhoni's innings was the worst run-a-ball 65 in a chase of a high pressure match ever.

Dhoni is waiting for the powerplay to go for it... Umm, nope, just 25 runs from it.
Well, he must be waiting for the last 10... Hmm, no, still just trying to nudge it around.
Perhaps the other batsman is supposed to hit out while he survives? I don't think he's instructed them if that's the case.
Ahh, Shane Watson is bowling the 43rd over!.Should be easy enough from here! Hit him for 2 sixes and 15 off the over which is still below the RRR.
Only 100 off 30 needed, the lower order should be fine, there's certainly no reason to slide the bat to try and make the crease.

It almost reminded me or the 2007 final when you were wondering why Sri Lanka weren't going for it and then they show stump cam and it's basically pitch black and they can't see ****.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah. I kept thinking he must've been instructing Jadeja to hit out but even he wasn't swinging much. Was weird.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Dhoni played for a respectable loss probably.
Rahane is my vote for worst inning of the tournament. 44 off 68 balls at a strike rate of 64 was unacceptable.
I don't really, and never will, see the logic in milking maxwell for 3-5 runs an over and then saving your slogging for Starc and Johnson. But thAt is what rahane did. Or didn't quite do as he never got around to accelerating against anybody.
Rahane' inning was selfish.
Dhoni' was just confused and showed a lack of brain cells and courage. At least the West Indies gave it a real crack.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah Rahane is weird in that his best attacking shots truly do come against the pace bowlers. I guess he was hoping Raina would go after Maxwell.

But I agree they needed to hit Maxwell and Faulkner right from the start.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Dhoni's innings was pretty dire. Didn't even try to up the ante in the PP. And then annoyingly hit two sixes off Watson for lulz to get a pointless fifty.

Kohli was pretty **** too, he was crucial in that chase and played a horrible shot to get out.

I'd say Raina too but he's always crap imo.

OverratedSanity

Kohli was the worst. Played out tight overs and realized... oh no I'm on 1 (11) I need to hit FOURZ. Such a cbf dismissal. Lack of spine.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Nah Rahane is weird in that his best attacking shots truly do come against the pace bowlers. I guess he was hoping Raina would go after Maxwell.

Good post.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Kohli was the worst. Played out tight overs and realized... oh no I'm on 1 (11) I need to hit FOURZ. Such a cbf dismissal. Lack of spine.
I am ok with Kohli's inning. You may be unhappy with his dismissal but he has been taking on the short ball most of the summer.

Burgey

Faulkner had 0/29 off two overs. That's some decent nicking and nudging.

OverratedSanity

I am ok with Kohli's inning. You may be unhappy with his dismissal but he has been taking on the short ball most of the summer.
That's no excuse. Of course he's played the pull all summer. I'm disappointed by the poor execution (which was a result of him getting to excited to get a boundary after those dots). Not bothered by the shot selection, because the shot was on.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
That's no excuse. Of course he's played the pull all summer. I'm disappointed by the poor execution (which was a result of him getting to excited to get a boundary after those dots). Not bothered by the shot selection, because the shot was on.
Yeah I am withdrawing from this debate or I will end up contradicting myself and being all over the place. I guess he just failed so early in his inning that I don't hold him as responsible compared to those who got a start but used bad judgement as to how to pace their inning.

Burgey

Yeah but thats not cricket mate. You're in and going at a run a ball, a bloke bowls you one in your wheelhouse, you belt it. And he did. He just picked the bloke out. It shouldn't matter if it's faulkner, haze or Joel Garner. If you get a ball in your zone at none down and going well in a big chase, you throw hands at it.

Spark

Global Moderator
People having a go at Dhoni's innings are assuming he could actually have done anything meaningful in that situation.