• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Web Football

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
If not too late to join:

Name: El Squido
Position (gk/df/mf/fw): mf
Main skill (heading/dribbling/anticipation/finishing/etc.): Work rate
Nationality (optional, will be randomly generated if not selected): Fijian
Gender and pronouns (optional, but useful for match reports): It/its

cnerd123

likes this
It's nice to have an understudy.

Vision you ****ing pleb, honestly.
I played football for a decade but gave no ****s about the sport. I just jumped around and stopped the ball like any good cricket fieldsman would

Educate me sensei

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Vision is a trait you'd want in a creative player, typically

In this context it's used to refer to the ability to identify opportunities and chances, rather given it's literal meaning (i.e. How well you can see)

That's not to say it's undesirable for a keeper to have vision, it's not. But it's probably low on the list of priorities for most.

cnerd123

likes this
Reading the game was one of my biggest strengths as a 'keeper - helped me get into the right positions to cut off angles. Worth adding I played a lot more 5v5 with tiny goals than 11v11 with big goals

What traits do you look for in the goalie then? I assume reflexes, athleticism, anticipation, positioning, reach...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Reading the game was one of my biggest strengths as a 'keeper - helped me get into the right positions to cut off angles. Worth adding I played a lot more 5v5 with tiny goals than 11v11 with big goals

What traits do you look for in the goalie then? I assume reflexes, athleticism, anticipation, positioning, reach...
I think what you are referring to here is probably closer to anticipation tbh. The way an outfield. or certainly attacking/creative player "reads" the game is very different to the way a keeper or defensive player would read it.

And yeah, the attributes you mention are all typical things you would look for in a goalkeeper, as well as handling obviously.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I need a couple volunteers. Nothing big just spreadsheet feedback.

GIMH, sledger, could you spare the time?

Also, out of character, a ground rule which should go in post 1: I know I can come across like a devious railroad mod in this, so you get one chance to say "No, I don't like this"

Otherwise I will try to my best to respect your feedback, but it should be noted this thing is helping me process some old **** as well.

cpr

International Coach

If only there was an attribute called positioning.

TBF MG only showed the outfield player characteristics, so a bit unfair for a keeper who's never played FM.

Also I'm absolutely not telling you any other key attributes as I like being first choice, and keepers never get the rotation chances outfield players have ;)

cpr

International Coach
I need a couple volunteers. Nothing big just spreadsheet feedback.

GIMH, sledger, could you spare the time?

Also, out of character, a ground rule which should go in post 1: I know I can come across like a devious railroad mod in this, so you get one chance to say "No, I don't like this"

Otherwise I will try to my best to respect your feedback, but it should be noted this thing is helping me process some old **** as well.

I'll help with spreadsheets, nothing says 'I'm working' more than a excel book with figures my boss doesn't understand

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Duke of Liechtenstein executed.

13 June 2020, Vaduz (NZZ/PA)

The severed head of the Duke GIMH, Lord Protector of Liechtenstein, was found in a kitchen basket in an English townhouse last night.

The Duke is mourned by a loving wife, at least two daughters, and a castle in the middle of nowhere.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Signups still open?

I'm even more of a n00b than ***** when it comes to football so any help would be appreciated.

Name: Guy Incognito
Position (gk/df/mf/fw): FW
Main skill (heading/dribbling/anticipation/finishing/etc.) Technique
Nationality (optional, will be randomly generated if not selected): random
Gender and pronouns (optional, but useful for match reports): Male/Him

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Duke of Liechtenstein executed.

13 June 2020, Vaduz (NZZ/PA)

The severed head of the Duke GIMH, Lord Protector of Liechtenstein, was found in a kitchen basket in an English townhouse last night.

The Duke is mourned by a loving wife, at least two daughters, and a castle in the middle of nowhere.
hang on what

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Signups still open?

I'm even more of a n00b than ***** when it comes to football so any help would be appreciated.

Position (gk/df/mf/fw): FW
Main skill (heading/dribbling/anticipation/finishing/etc.) Technique
Nationality (optional, will be randomly generated if not selected): random
No idea how I forgot to put a name down.

Name: Guy Incognito

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Signing up if not too late

Name: Navel Pedved
Position (gk/df/mf/fw): MF
Main skill (heading/dribbling/anticipation/finishing/etc.) Dribbling
Nationality (optional, will be randomly generated if not selected): Czech Republic