• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Web Football

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Soccer in chaos

(14 June 2020, Anna van der Westhuizen, Cape Argus/News24.co.za)

The men's soccer world is reeling from two major incidents. UEFA has seen no choice but to reschedule most of EURO 2020, resulting in frantic moving of TV schedules that had previously been set years in advance. The tournament is currently expected to start on 31 June.
The Copa América hobbles on with a number of games rescheduled, a feature match being Australia’s 4– 0 win over Bolivia. The Colombian team are yet to play a match as their matches are now being set to be played in Brazil. CONMEBOL has put out a call to search for mediators in the protracted conflict.

Women’s Super League secures TV contract

(15 June 2020, Press Association)

Despite recent unfortunate developments in the world of football, the FA WSL announces a 4-year TV deal for their product in America. The deal is expected to secure the finances of the league and provide content for all interested parties.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
In spite of, or maybe because of, the changes to the football calendar and the uncertain whereabouts of one of the game’s stars, the transfer circuit continues at whirlwind pace. Liverpool acquires Lazio’s Milinković-Savić and Dortmund’s Sancho for a cool $250 million altogether, while Crabs acquire Portuguese creative midfielder Rafael da Silva from Benfica. Euro 2020 is eventually curtailed to an 8-team tournament, though it appears the eight teams have been picked by a draw somewhere in the dark catacombs of Aleksandar Ceferin's office.

The Euro quarterfinals are: Portugal v Germany; Belgium v Italy; Netherlands v Ukraine; Spain v England.

Meanwhile, Hannah McCormack announces her retirement from the Crabs senior team. In a statement, the Norwegian-Scots playmaker stated that “football is an amazing game that has taught me a lot of lessons. However, I feel I have achieved all I can in my current position and it is time to move on into a position where she could improve the chances for girls and women who will be enjoying this game after me.” The Crabs’ WSL club are rumoured to be keen to have such an experienced player on board, having just secured the coveted signature of the daughter and heir to the Principality of Liechtenstein, Molly GIMH(21), as well as the lightning quick Australian winger Sky Wideopen.

The negotiations between Crabs and the syndicate associated with Daniel de Souza continues apace. Rumours in the Latin American press indicate that a solution is close at hand, but that the English club are struggling to raise the liquid funds to complete all obligations - those experienced in reading between the lines will note the danger of a large amount of the transfer fee being siphoned off to other sources. Social media was further befuddled by the appearance of a letter on Dan's instagram account, where the letter writer assured the watching public that the kidnapped player was fine, had access to all vital nutrients and, given cooperation from all relevant parties, could resume a professional football career within a few months. Given that the letter was written in ornate cursive, a flurry of speculation arose that this must surely be something Dan had been put up to by the kidnappers. All efforts to resume the Copa América were declared dead on 27 June, with the players allowed to return to their club duties from 13 July onwards.