• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Red Weekly

David

International 12th Man
Thursday 14th October 2004
CWXI Board allows Test Call ups to play domestically!

In recent media interviews prominent Reds fast bowlers Dave Watt and David Kennett were both astounded by the cricketweb boards decision to allow the CWXI Test squad to play domestic games as well. Kennett had this to say about the affair:
"I was honestly shocked by this decision, when I found out it was pretty hard to take. I think its a pretty ridiculous call, we're meant to be a team, train as a team, and its a bit hard to gel when we're all off in the land playing domestic cricket during the middle of a test series. Especially important after getting such a hiding in the first two tests..."
"I certainly won't make any excuses if I fail again in the third test, however, I can't say for the rest of the team. Kyle (Wright) and myself have been toiling here at the grounds wondering what is going to go on, it's just not cricket as they say"
Meanwhile fellow Red paceman Dave Watt said in an interview "Its got me baffled. In Australian domestic cricket, the Test players don't return to their respective domestic clubs in between tests, so why should CW players? I realise that the Board has its best intentions at heart, wanting to give these players as much game time as possible in preparation for the 3rd Test, but surely they should be kept together as a unit, the CW XI unit. While they are away it gives younger pace bowlers a big chance to step up and take more of the workload."
The controversial decision was further compounded by the Reds being unaware of the availability of its two test call-ups, which led to an under strength squad versus England A. On looking back at the game Dave (Watt) said "It really was a shocking performance, the bowlers lacked penetration during the England A first innings. Letting them slip to 446 all out is just not acceptable I'm afraid, and I take that lacklustre performance on my own shoulders being the senior strike bowler, and only managing 2 wickets for the match, meant we had to rely on the part timers a lot more then we would have liked. If we were aware that DK and Wright were available, I am certain Marc would of jumped at the opportunity and played those 2. The outcome of the match may have been very different if that was the case."
Although according to his interview Kennett said "I don't know if I would have taken the call up. Sure, the Reds mean everything to me, but it'd just be the wrong thing to do professionally in my opinion, I guess I just don't think it should be done."
Here at CW Red Weekly we'd have to agree.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wright: "I wouldn't have played.'

Wright: "I wouldn't have played.'

By Cameron Stanley

Cricket Web XI and Reds strike bowler Kyle Wright has said he wouldn't have played if he was aware he was available for the last Red's domestic game. Mister Wright when contacted by the media said that he felt it was unfair that the international players play while on tour.

"While I support the boards intentions on giving players much needed match practice approaching the third test, I don't think it was a good decision, because as a team we need to band together and strengthen for the third test." Mister Wright said.

"I was a little baffled when I turned up to training yesterday to find only myself and big DK (David Kennett) in the nets we bowled to each other for half an hour then went to the pub for the rest of the day.

"While we had a great time and met two beautiful female Sweedish tourists, we would have preferred to be training hard with the team to retain some pride in the Cricketweb XI badge.

"While I would never want to let my Red's team-mates down, it is important that others get a chance to prove themselves and felt it was important for the Crickeweb XI to band together.

"I can't wait for the third test." Mister Wright said.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The 3rd Test squad was not yet named, so the team would not have stayed to train together as there was no guarantee they would be together in the next game. However, after the squad is named, there is an intensive training period leading into the Test match.

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
I know its not my place to critisize and comment, but dont you think thats a strange way of running things?

I thought a 14 man squad at the start of the Test series, then an XI named 1 day prior to the Test, meaning the 3 players who missed out can return to dev league duties untill the next team was announced a day prior to the Test would make sense? Players dont return to domestic cricket in real life in between Tests, especially when there is only a matter of a few days between Test Matches! - whether it be a home seiries or away series, it just rarely happens.

Just doesnt make sense really.

My opinions, feel free to bash :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
AUST_HiTMaN said:
I know its not my place to critisize and comment, but dont you think thats a strange way of running things?

I thought a 14 man squad at the start of the Test series, then an XI named 1 day prior to the Test, meaning the 3 players who missed out can return to dev league duties untill the next team was announced a day prior to the Test would make sense? Players dont return to domestic cricket in real life in between Tests, especially when there is only a matter of a few days between Test Matches! - whether it be a home seiries or away series, it just rarely happens.

Just doesnt make sense really.

My opinions, feel free to bash :)
Well the Panel will refine its methods regarding an expanded initial squad as time goes on. This is but the first home series. Also keep in mind that CW XI time is different from actual time (ie a day in the schedule is not a day in CW time).

Loony BoB

International Captain
Kind of difficult to know how long there is between test when, in our time, 25Smash games take just as long as 5 day test matches - ie, one sim = one day, regardless of match length.

EDIT: Liam beat me to it. :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BREAKING NEWS!

A senior CW Red player has been sacked following a scandalous revelation earlier this evening.

Sources in the camp will not reveal the players name whilst the board make an announcement, but the board are aware of the issue, and are already dealing with the situation and an announcement is expected imminently.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
tut tut, Mr Khan.

Why did you do it? Crime doesn't pay, you know.

By the way, Baaaaaaaahh

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Sunday 17th October 2004
Red's Late Burst

CW Red has enjoyed a few wins late in Season 7. This season has proved to be Reds most rocky off the field, with several big incidents. The most recent involved Red's fast bowler, and all rounder - Imran Khan Jr. He has been sharing the new ball with Dave, and with his recent sacking, means there was a big hole in our bowling while DK and Wright were away. Young all-rounder Zaid Ghansar was required to take an extra work load as the 2nd opener.

We are currently enjoying a few wins late in the season, with a win in 5D against England A, a win in Smash 25 against England A and a win in the 1D competition over Australia A. Red's all rounder Ian Markus had this to say about their new-found form. "It was good to put all the problems we had earlier in the year behind us and start to play some good cricket. We always knew we were capable of defeating any team on our day, it was a matter of finding the passion to win".

Hopefully we can continue this run untill the end of the season, there is still a 5D game to be played, and still a couple of Smash25 games.

We might even be able to sneak our first win against rivals CW Black for the season! We are yet to beat them this season, however lets hope we can get the monkey off our backs.

Thats all for now. Keep in mind a special edition of CW Red Weekly will be produced, having CW Reds season in review.

David

International 12th Man
Reds Fate in Black Hands

Tuesday 19th October

Whilst they have been rife with controversy and oft times poor form in the first class game, the Reds have been quiet achievers in the one day aspect of the game, putting themselves in contention for the OD play offs. However, a few late dropped games have cost the Reds dearly, as now their fate lies in the hands of arch rivals CW black, who incidentally Reds have still not beaten.

Its shaping up for a classic encounter, should Black beat Australia A in the final game, the OD trophy playoff will be between Red and Black, should Australia A win, it'll be Australia A vs Black. An important game in which the fate of two sides hang in the balance, Black obviously think that a victory against Australia A will put them in a good position playing the Reds, but will that be assurance of victory? Red players say no. A loss to Australia A would mean the momentum is turned against them and they may find it tough to compete after losing such an important match. Australia A will go all out, their season rests in this game, that said, if they win, will they have played their grand final already? Both teams will certainly play to their fullest, and the encounter looks to be a gripping one.