• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dear Diary

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Dear Diary...

Today was my first initiation of what is commonly known as the pinnacle of cricket in our modern world. And as I set foot into headquaters this morning, I made an important discovery, this is a place where cricket is not merely a recreational sport, but a way of life.

This of course, I feel is typified in the salutation of `Yours in cricket`, and I was not a little suprised to see those words on the poster that was displayed on one of the walls of the resception room that I waited.

Nervously, I filled in the most basic of information on the registration form I recieved from the grizzled club secretary wearing, a white and blue polo, emblazoned with CW Cricket across the pectoralis major. As I wrote down my vital statistics, I couldn`t help but ponder, `Is this the right choice?`. To leave school, in your final year to pursue a cricketing career, which, as my father used to say, was like trying to find a parking spot in a crowded shoping center carpark. `All the spots are pretty much taken` he would say, and grin wryly. Mum certainly doesn`t think its the right thing to do. Should have finished school, she said, `Gonna end up like your cousin Dave, a nothing! Is that what you want?`
I try not to think about mum.

Finally the forms are done, and I`m led out to gergeous grounds and training facilities that are available to the CW top players. Nameless faces say Hello, and the atmosphere is warm and friendly. I`m asked if I brought my kit, and if so, would I like a hit in the nets? I anwer in the affirmative. Putting on the spikes, box, gloves, pads (left one first), then the helmet, seems to take longer than usual, as I witness the quality of the cricketers in the nets beside me. One quickie, must be clocking around 140km/h I`m sure. Butterflies flutter in my stomach as I face up in on the flat well used practice turf net. `Relax!` I tell my stomach. It doesn`t.
The first ball made me realise that this is going to be a bit harder than school First XI and club U-18s. A vicious off-cutter that cut me in half and whizzed over middle before I had time to even get the feet moving. The bowler, grinned cheekly at me and said nothing. The same bowler gave me a few tips on moving in line a few balls later when he knocked my off stump out, and also said `Nice shot young`n` when a crisply struck straight drive flew past his ankles on the way out to the center square.

20 mins later, I was exhausted from just having to deal with the quality of the attack. Even so I went out and joined in a bit of fielding, and was pleased with the intensity shown by all. No lazy school kids crappin about how they want to go home rather than chase a ball to the boundary and throw back over the stumps in hot temperatures. Fielding, I`ve always believed, is a joy, and I delighted in taking part in the drills. By the end of training and after a few of my left arm chinamans, which were easily dispatched by the netting batsman, I felt pleased with the day. A litttle out of my league, sure, but I reminded myself I`m 17, and a have a long time to go a long, long way.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
mate your more than welcome here if you keep up with quality stuff like that! a great read mate, i hope you become a blue! i wonder who the 140km guy was... some random Right-Arm pacer no doubt. Im Nath Patrick (Blues member) and im a fast-medium bowler and a gun bat (at number 11...). id be happy to bowl to you in the nets sometime, good luck.

KennyD

Day 2

Dear Diary

Feel tired. Two days of training and I`m pulling up sore now. Too much cake over winter, but mum makes em` so good. Training was intense once more, but I`m sure it`ll seem like nothing in a few months. The quicky bowling yesterday introduced himself today, Nathan Patrick is his name. Seems like a nice guy. Didn`t stop him from claiming me about 5 times in the nets though. Wouldn`t mind playing for CW Blue, if this is the sort of spearhead they got. Got to bowl to him to, but again I think Nathan came out top on that battle too, and I wonder `Was I ever any good at bowling?`

Probably not.

After drills, we had center wicket. 4 overs bating in pairs. Not sure if my contribution of 4 runs and getting out 3 time will impress the selectors but who knows, it was a classy 3 in my opinion. Mum says I shouldn`t be sarcastic, says its unattractive. I said, `Mum don`t patronise me, if you want me to be attractive, you should have got me from a different gene pool`. She didn`t like that.

What will tomorrow bring? Another training session you can be sure of that Mr Diary. I wonder if you want it bad enough can you make it in a sporting career, or does it rely on having a huge amount of talent to draw upon. Talent or sweat or both? A stylish century, a grafted 50, or the ability to do both. I should have a motto, something like watch and learn and grow or something inspirational like that. Or maybe not...

Last edited:

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Nnanden, HAHA, he'd be pushing 130km/h nevermind 140.

If you want quality pace, come see the blokes at CW Red. David Kennett, Mr Wright and Dave. This season we got 207 5D wickets @ 26.66 between the 3 of us. David Kennett and Mr Wright are currently playing in the CW XI (the international side) Which shows that we have one of the best, if not the best, pace attack by far.

/Self team promo ends.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
but Red suck dave, why would he want anything to do with them, blue is the place to be!!!

ash chaulk

International Captain
Sure dave wateva :P

Kenny mate great read but im sure you want to learn how to bat a bit better and going to red well.... wouldnt be the best idea.

Black attack!

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
AUST_HiTMaN said:
Nnanden, HAHA, he'd be pushing 130km/h nevermind 140.

If you want quality pace, come see the blokes at CW Red. David Kennett, Mr Wright and Dave. This season we got 207 5D wickets @ 26.66 between the 3 of us. David Kennett and Mr Wright are currently playing in the CW XI (the international side) Which shows that we have one of the best, if not the best, pace attack by far.

/Self team promo ends.

Just dragged myself away from the competitive Table Tennis match with Kennett in the team hotel to check on what's going on in the Domestic league and what a surprise! This youngster sure has some guts, determination and a quick wit, all things that make a good cricketer.

I have to back up Dave's comments. I'm assuming your a batsman there and if you want to improve your batting come to the Reds' nets, you'll get a chance to face some quality pace, and to hit Steds out of the nets a few times.

Welcome to the cricketweb establishment and keep up the diary, I for one will be tuning in to have a read.

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
I never said for him to come to red you idiot, chances are he will go to the new team if/when it gets put into place for next season.

I was purely saying where the quality pace lies if he needs some training.

Mister Wright

ash chaulk said:
Sure dave wateva :P

Kenny mate great read but im sure you want to learn how to bat a bit better and going to red well.... wouldnt be the best idea.

Black attack!

The reason why the Reds' batsman have been down a bit this year is because they have found it hard to get on top of the Reds' bowlers in the nets and centre wicket practice.

KennyD

Day 3

Dear Diary

3rd day here now and things started getting interesting. The warm, friendly atmosphere of the CW domestic leauges turned darker, abiet for only a short while where a couple of players from the Reds, Blues and one Black I believe, had a few words to say to each other about the quality of each sides respective pace battery. Though I am of course far too young and inexperienced to start voicing opinions about cricketing ability of domestic stars,I was still young enough to enjoy listening to a few heated words being exchanged. It proved to cause some nostalgia for the school yard which I left only weeks ago, and I almost began to egg members of both parties. But then I realised, No Ken, that would be stupid, very stupid. Insults began to fly like, Idiot, but nothing seemed to come from it. All and all, it showed that friendly rivalry between some of the leading players of the CW domestic competition was alive and well.

Mum wasn`t impressed though when I told her about it when I got home. She said they were a bad influence and would teach me bad habits like cussing, and talking to girls.
I seriously doubt whether mum`s with it sometimes. She still cooks alright but. Thats good at least.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Possibly the best writing skills I've seen on display here at CricketWeb, at least lately! Lovely stuff, enjoyable reading. I hope you find the right team for you - If you want to join CW Green we'll be sure to welcome you - we play cricket in the true spirit of the game, without the politics of other teams. :) Just good old fun cricket, and we've proven that we're one of the best teams out there - unfortunately that means a lot of players often get pushed up the ranks and we have a lot of our players on international duty. This can only be good for guys like you and me, though - we fill in the gaps and are given a true opportunity to shine.

New blood is exactly what keeps this place alive and kicking, and you'll love the time you spend here. Fingers crossed you will indeed end up playing in the same team as me, it'll be great! We've got the best captain, too - age master's awesome, he's got the perfect mix of leadership and team-spirit that really encourages his entire team to respect both him and each other, and this gives us all an awesome sense of pride. And don't think I'm just advertising in order to get one up on the other guys - you'll be competition for me, after all! Team before individual. :) That's the way to play it.

EDIT: Haha, your mum sounds like mine, aside from the girls bit - I think my Mum's a little too interested in my love life, or what love life there is.

Mister Wright

KennyD said:
Dear Diary

3rd day here now and things started getting interesting. The warm, friendly atmosphere of the CW domestic leauges turned darker, abiet for only a short while where a couple of players from the Reds, Blues and one Black I believe, had a few words to say to each other about the quality of each sides respective pace battery. Though I am of course far too young and inexperienced to start voicing opinions about cricketing ability of domestic stars,I was still young enough to enjoy listening to a few heated words being exchanged. It proved to cause some nostalgia for the school yard which I left only weeks ago, and I almost began to egg members of both parties. But then I realised, No Ken, that would be stupid, very stupid. Insults began to fly like, Idiot, but nothing seemed to come from it. All and all, it showed that friendly rivalry between some of the leading players of the CW domestic competition was alive and well.

Mum wasn`t impressed though when I told her about it when I got home. She said they were a bad influence and would teach me bad habits like cussing, and talking to girls.
I seriously doubt whether mum`s with it sometimes. She still cooks alright but. Thats good at least.
Your mum really only has to worry about Slats4eva - he eats far too many pies and has been known to induldge in the odd illegal substance. Halsey is a bit of a smart-**** and is all talk. Kears will bug you for statistics every day and Mr. P. will only be interested in his own performance :p . Oh yeah, and Cloete likes to talk about himself alot. They're the main ones you have to look out for, but the rest of us get on very well.

Last edited:

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Ash Chaulk is another to steer clear. He will influence you with some nasty Rap msuic, plus he tends to recite old nasty rap lyrics often.

A real bad influence that bloke.

If you get posted to another team other then Reds, you will get frustrated by the Reds chearsquad (I know some of us sure as hell do anyway :p ). The cheersquad consistas of Steds and Supah Freak, and their GO REDS

Just a few of the characters around the training grounds.

Last edited:

KennyD

lol this is funny as, you guys are great. Thanks for postin lol, I`ll be sure to keep updating the diary, I just need to find material to work with. But there seems to be a bunch of charaters around, real interesting characters, so I think it`ll be easy to keep writing, fun too.

Mister Wright

KennyD said:
lol this is funny as, you guys are great. Thanks for postin lol, I`ll be sure to keep updating the diary, I just need to find material to work with. But there seems to be a bunch of charaters around, real interesting characters, so I think it`ll be easy to keep writing, fun too.
Do you have MSN?