• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did South Africa choke?

U19 12th Man
I respect the way South Africa goes about it and they're one of the teams I love to watch play the game. This is in no way intended to be a malicious opinion. But...

Yes, they very definitely choked. There were opportunities spooned to them and an apparent element of fear in the intensity they displayed saw them make a meal of those.

De Villers is arguably the best fielder in the world and certainly in the South African team. That was an easy, easy run out. The moment got to him. The mess he made of that stop on the boundary. He stepped outside of himself. He didn't handle the moment.

Behardien and Duminy looked panic-stricken going for that catch. It was regulation. They made it look difficult.

I absolutely love de Villiers. He's my favourite batsmen, and has been since 2008. I felt for him a bit. You could feel the gargantuan weight on his shoulders. But the way he handled such a defining juncture in his career just slightly cracked my image of him. You make a sporting titan of yourself, you define your legacy, by stepping up and owning those moments. As much as I want to think he didn't fail to do that, I can't help but feel that he (and his team) wilted.

Last edited:

anil1405

International Captain
I respect the way South Africa goes about it and they're one of the teams I love to watch play the game. This is in no way intended to be a malicious opinion. But...

Yes, they very definitely choked. There were opportunities spooned to them and an apparent element of fear in the intensity they displayed saw them make a meal of those.

De Villers is arguably the best fielder in the world and certainly in the South African team. That was an easy, easy run out. The moment got to him. The mess he made of that stop on the boundary. He didn't handle the moment.

Behardien and Duminy looked panic-stricken going for that catch. It was regulation. They made it look difficult.

I absolutely love de Villiers. He's my favourite batsmen, and has been since 2008. I felt for him a bit. You could feel the gargantuan weight on his shoulders. But the way he handled such a defining juncture in his career just slightly cracked my image of him. You make a sporting titan of yourself, you define your legacy, by stepping up and owning those moments. As much as I want to think he didn't fail to do that, I can't help but feel that he (and his team) wilted.
Thanks. Stopped reading your post after the term 'fear'

Debris

International 12th Man
80% of fast bowlers who are injured wouldn't dive at the third man boundary to stop the ball that is coming from around 50 mts distance. I might not even expect 20% of injured bowlers to do that. Anyway my point is the amount of intensity Proteas showed in the field yesterday was commendable. And yes I might not expect many teams to have saved the amount of runs Proteas did yesterday taking into account the ground size and the hostile atmosphere.
You have mentioned one piece of fielding and I can guarantee that it did not save 20 runs. Every game has a moment where someone does a better than usual job of fielding. I would bet if you had the fieldsman from any other side in the semi-finals swapped in, they would not be 20 runs worse off.

anil1405

International Captain
You have mentioned one piece of fielding and I can guarantee that it did not save 20 runs. Every game has a moment where someone does a better than usual job of fielding. I would bet if you had the fieldsman from any other side in the semi-finals swapped in, they would not be 20 runs worse off.
Its like saying every ODI innings has a century and a 4 wicket haul written all over it and its just a matter of players taking alternatives to achieve it. Thats obviously not the case.

And its not in every game that you have a boundary which measures 45 to 65 mts with a hostile atmosphere.

I'd politely disagree with you if you say that ANY team would've shown the same intensity as Proteas did the other day.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Yeah, the throw was basically a yorker. Would've been livid with Roussoww.
I don't think who is to blame for the run-out miss matters; it should've been out.

~~~~~~

Overall I'd liken it to say a tennis match where SA had a couple bad UFEs on breakpoints in the 5th and couldn't capitalize. Not full choke territory but somewhat disappointing for SA fans. Obviously bait for low quality banter but I'd hope CW wouldn't really go there.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
For me the term choke indicates some kind of spectacular ****-up when under pressure. SA was certainly affected by the pressure, but I think thats the case for 99% of players. So no, not a choke in my book.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
My current view of the 'chokers' tag is same as Klusener's:

"No, I think it's just a word dreamt up by someone some day and it’s just something that the press has been able to hang on to, and I guess it won't go away until we win a big ICC trophy. That's just what it is.
I mean, any team can be associated with that [tag] if you looked hard enough. Every time someone loses a game, you can pretty much attach that [with any team] at your own convenience. It's just something that is just going to hang around with us; not necessarily apply to us, but just hang around with us until we win a big ICC event."

I must say that I've been guilty of the same, but I have changed my opinion.

U19 12th Man
Thanks. Stopped reading your post after the term 'fear'
If you don't think they played with fear of failure in the field you're kidding yourself. I'm not saying the entire XI did. Those who were confronted with those step up or step down junctures in the game I mentioned.

Last edited:

U19 12th Man
Not an easy run out, Athers was the only bloke on commentary who pointed out the throw being an issue.
Bull****.

He had so much ****ing time!! The throw got to him quickly, he needed only be aware of the dynamic at play - batsman halfway down the pitch and completely out of the contest - and make an appropriate decision. He had about three junctures after the throw to complete the run out. He overbalanced and did a somersault with the batsman halfway down the pitch ffs. This is de Villiers we're talking about. A fieldsman of his quality. He didn't handle the situation.

We can say they choked, we can say they wilted. The fact is they succumbed to the pressure when the contest would reward whoever didn't.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
SA did not choke.

Now, to the real burning issue....Did the reigning World Champions Choke? India halted a stupendously ominous Australian total to something reachable. They then got of to a great start and probably smelled the victory just around the corner.... then messed up badly. Particularly Dhoni's awful runout. That was either a choke or a selfish attempt to preserve his 39 wins from 40 not outs chasing. Fair call?

anil1405

International Captain
If you don't think they played with fear of failure in the field you're kidding yourself. I'm not saying the entire XI did. Those who were confronted with those step up or step down junctures in the game I mentioned.
'Fear of failure' is the most rubbish term i've encountered in this thread or with anyone that i've been discussing this South African defeat. If South African players were playing with fear in the field then the game would've been done and dusted way earlier than it actually did.

smash84

The Tiger King
SA did not choke.

Now, to the real burning issue....Did the reigning World Champions Choke? India halted a stupendously ominous Australian total to something reachable. They then got of to a great start and probably smelled the victory just around the corner.... then messed up badly. Particularly Dhoni's awful runout. That was either a choke or a selfish attempt to preserve his 39 wins from 40 not outs chasing. Fair call?
Well, I wouldn't say India choked. They were just up against a significantly superior side. Most people had bet that Australia should win comfortably, and they did. I don't how choke fits in here.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Particularly Dhoni's awful runout. That was either a choke or a selfish attempt to preserve his 39 wins from 40 not outs chasing. Fair call?
The game was done and dusted before dhoni's run out. Can't associate this as panic stricken. Also it's weird to suggest something like he gave his wicket away to preserve that record.

Flem274*

123/5
williamson dropped ABCD on about 30.

so yeah let's not play pretend SA were the only side to stuff up, and let's also not pretend this was SA's game to lose and they lost it only because they are mental pussies or something.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Well, I wouldn't say India choked. They were just up against a significantly superior side. Most people had bet that Australia should win comfortably, and they did. I don't how choke fits in here.
Fair enough. I find it funny that some are eager to suggest South Africa choked but not India. Both were up against a better team but South Africa got far closer. Neither choked and should be proud, if somewhat disappointed with their efforts this world cup.

The Dhoni comment was just a bit of a troll. I am actually quite amazed by that record. I'd like to analyse it deeper, but probably elsewhere.