• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Duckworth Lewis discussion thread

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah there's bad luck involved but these competitions get planned months in advance and there's an obvious risk that Guyana in the rainy season is likely to be, well, rainy

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe scrap D/L for use in T20's full stop? Play it like tennis in Wimbeldon, if there's a rain break, keep trying to play the full overs and if you can't, play the rest tomorrow. It's a 3-hour game, much like your average 5-setter so it's a possibility.

maxtop123

Cricket Spectator
Yeah there's bad luck involved but these competitions get planned months in advance and there's an obvious risk that Guyana in the rainy season is likely to be, well, rainy
Yeah, because you know it NEVER rains in England. No siree.Never. That country DOES NOT have a reputation for being rainy. I mean it's not like rain HAD any impact at that wonderful, perfect tournament in that country last year. So let's only have tournaments in countries not known for being rainy because it's not like South Africa is known for rain either. Nope. Not all.

GraemeSmith

School Boy/Girl Captain
ICC has to act upon this rain in T20 nonsense. Ireland was robbed today. It's only a matter of time before a big powerhouse like Australia or India get knocked out of a tournament due to these stupid rain rules and then ICC will have to scramble and do damage control. Why don't they get ahead of the problem? They are either super lazy or just don't care.

As I posted in the other thread T20 matches should be played on artificial pitches allowing the game to continue during rain. It would be exciting to watch a match played in pouring rain

Top_Cat

As I posted in the other thread T20 matches should be played on artificial pitches allowing the game to continue during rain. It would be exciting to watch a match played in pouring rain
Don't think that'll change anything. Playing on matting in kicks would actually be more hazardous for the bowlers than playing on turf in spikes. This is aside from how the ball will behave, etc.

Sir Alex

Banned
Don't think that'll change anything. Playing on matting in kicks would actually be more hazardous for the bowlers than playing on turf in spikes. This is aside from how the ball will behave, etc.
Ha really. Unless it's Womens T20i.

Uppercut

Yeah, because you know it NEVER rains in England. No siree.Never. That country DOES NOT have a reputation for being rainy. I mean it's not like rain HAD any impact at that wonderful, perfect tournament in that country last year. So let's only have tournaments in countries not known for being rainy because it's not like South Africa is known for rain either. Nope. Not all.
His point was that logically the tournament could have been scheduled at a time of the year when it's not extremely likely to rain in Guyana. You might have noticed that if you hadn't been spending your time being snide instead.

Sir Alex

Banned
His point was that logically the tournament could have been scheduled at a time of the year when it's not extremely likely to rain in Guyana. You might have noticed that if you hadn't been spending your time being snide instead.
So they should not conduct any ICC events in England during summer because it's known to be fairly rainy? :wacko:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So they should not conduct any ICC events in England during summer because it's known to be fairly rainy? :wacko:
There's a difference between a spot of rain here and there, and a full-on rainy season though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well done, you've both jointly won the 'missing the point' award for this week!

Yes, it rains in England a bit in summer. But we don't hold World Cups in october, last I checked, and that would be the equivalent argument.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Well done, you've both jointly won the 'missing the point' award for this week!

Yes, it rains in England a bit in summer. But we don't hold World Cups in october, last I checked, and that would be the equivalent argument.
I would add that if for whatever reason you do decide to play cricket in the rainiest country in world cricket in the wet season, it might be a decent idea to allow an extra day in case it rains. They didn't do so, and this particular group of matches has been ruined as a result. It just seems such a waste, and so harsh on Ireland (where, before you perceptively point it out maxtop and Sir Alex, I'm aware it does also rain).

Sir Alex

Banned
I would add that if for whatever reason you do decide to play cricket in the rainiest country in world cricket in the wet season, it might be a decent idea to allow an extra day in case it rains. They didn't do so, and this particular group of matches has been ruined as a result. It just seems such a waste, and so harsh on Ireland (where, before you perceptively point it out maxtop and Sir Alex, I'm aware it does also rain).
I agree it is harsh. But no more harsh than what happened to England in last years cup.

The point is suggest another time to hold the cup then, because afaic, even the lesser months get more precipitation than what England gets in their wettest months.

My point is these things are really out of their hands who draw up the fixtures. Only 2 weeks back Guyana was suffering a drought, which is not something you'd predict looking at the precipitation charts.

I agree your point regarding having extra days for these matches.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The point is suggest another time to hold the cup then, because afaic, even the lesser months get more precipitation than what England gets in their wettest months.
February?

I don't see the relevance of the England comparison. Whether a tournament is being held in England or elsewhere it seems to me to make sense to schedule it when the weather tends to be best suited to cricket. It's about minimising the risk of games being ruined by the weather.

Sir Alex

Banned
February?

I don't see the relevance of the England comparison. Whether a tournament is being held in England or elsewhere it seems to me to make sense to schedule it when the weather tends to be best suited to cricket. It's about minimising the risk of games being ruined by the weather.
Impossible considering One Day World Cup starts Feb last.

maxtop123

Cricket Spectator
And had you been paying attention there was a drought in Guyana that lasted UNTIL the cricket actually started. It rains In Guyana. Not news. Just as it does in Engalnd and just as it did in last year's T20. England is also a rainy country regardless of whatever you might wish to say. So if there should be no T20s in Guyana in the rainy season which can be whebeer, the same rukles should apply to England. Get it?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
And had you been paying attention there was a drought in Guyana that lasted UNTIL the cricket actually started. It rains In Guyana. Not news. Just as it does in Engalnd and just as it did in last year's T20. England is also a rainy country regardless of whatever you might wish to say. So if there should be no T20s in Guyana in the rainy season which can be whebeer, the same rukles should apply to England. Get it?
I doubt they were aware of the drought when they scheduled the tournament.

You seem to be a little defensive about the Guyanese weather. No-one's having a go about that, and no-one's saying that tournaments shouldn't be held there. What I'm saying is that, given it's a rainy place, scheduling a tournament there in the wet season seems stupid. What's even more stupid is not arranging a back-up day.

The fact that it rains in England is not the issue. What is relevant is that they don't schedule tournaments in England when the weather is likeliest to be bad. If they scheduled international cricket in England in, say, January, and it was too dark, too wet and too cold to play, I'd call that stupid too.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Impossible considering One Day World Cup starts Feb last.
It occurs to me that - gasp - perhaps they're playing too many limited overs tournaments, and ridiculous scheduling is a natural consequence. The last World T20 was less than a year ago FFS, and we've only just finished the IPL.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No, because it's not a valid comparison.

There's a reason why it's called the wet season.

In England you're gambling with the weather - you could have 3 weeks of glorious sunshine, or you could have 3 weeks of rubbish weather. That's just the chances you take with the British summer.

On the other hand, Guyana is in a tropical region of the world, and has a wet season where you're likely to get heavy rain. It's the drought that's unusual.