• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Robinson would be an ATG if other countries didn't cheat and keep preparing wickets that didn't play to his strengths.
He was rubbish in the Ashes at home(average under 30 in that series isn't a reflection on how he bowled) and he's just carried that on.

He averaged 25.96 away in first 9 tests. His 10th in India has knocked that down to 28.47.

Don't see how it's India fault he bowled crap

Last edited:

Chin Music

U19 Captain
Yeah, but with all this, as soon as they id them as the next big thing they get injured, Stone, Tongue, Archer, Mahmood the list is endless.

We'll almost certainly have the same guys as normal at home, because they'll be fit, and they'll do well.

Atkinson being withdrawn from the IPL by England is so strange, to manage his workload of not playing at all, just fear he's another made of glass. 26 years old, 14 first-class games played, hmmm.
I would hope it is because they would want him to be playing the earlier rounds of the CC but yeah it sounds weird.

Ali TT

International Debutant
He was rubbish in the Ashes at home(average under 30 in that series isn't a reflection on how he bowled) and he's just carried that on.

He averaged 25.96 away in first 9 tests. His 10th in India has knocked that down to 28.47.

Don't see how it's India fault he bowled crap
I was reflecting that wisdom of some on this board is that if a bowler does less well overseas, it's the home country's fault.

More seriously, Robinson seems to struggle with the game either being too hard or too easy, not sure which. I'm loathe to go after someone's personality/attitude though, as we've seen in the past that there can be lots of other things going on under the bonnet that only surface a long time later.

Hungry Llama

Cricket Spectator
If Woakes stays fit, I'd go with him in summer. You can hardly say hes too old and still
keep picking Jimmy. As Robbos back seems a major issue, its a bit of a risk to pick him
for another test match. As for others, Pots certainly deserves a go this summer, perhaps
with Wood or Atkinson, but it also depends on how much bowling Stokes can do.
And has anyone seen the mysterious John Turner actually bowl? He always seems injured.

What about the spinners? Its unlikely that england will be picking 2 except perhaps
at OT, but Bash seems more promising, whereas Hartley is the better bat. That is if they
dont go back to Leach cos hopefully he will have recovered by July. I'd be surprised
if Ahmed was picked for a home test.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
If Woakes stays fit, I'd go with him in summer. You can hardly say hes too old and still
keep picking Jimmy. As Robbos back seems a major issue, its a bit of a risk to pick him
for another test match. As for others, Pots certainly deserves a go this summer, perhaps
with Wood or Atkinson, but it also depends on how much bowling Stokes can do.
And has anyone seen the mysterious John Turner actually bowl? He always seems injured.

What about the spinners? Its unlikely that england will be picking 2 except perhaps
at OT, but Bash seems more promising, whereas Hartley is the better bat. That is if they
dont go back to Leach cos hopefully he will have recovered by July. I'd be surprised
if Ahmed was picked for a home test.
A llama of consummate taste.