• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England post ashes 13/14

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Brought in Tredders too tho, who wasn't.

Part of me can't help but think it was Swann's stamp of approval of Borthwick as his anointed successor that got him the gig, a la Warne and Beer in 10/11.

Whatever happened to him, btw?
Tredwell was coming over anyway for the ODIs though

Think I saw Beer on the Big Bash the other day?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brought in Tredders too tho, who wasn't.

Part of me can't help but think it was Swann's stamp of approval of Borthwick as his anointed successor that got him the gig, a la Warne and Beer in 10/11.

Whatever happened to him, btw?
Captaining Cricket Australia invitational XI's.

Warne has said he should be given a go as captain after Clarke gives it away.

91Jmay

International Coach
I'm sure I saw Michael Beer play in the Big Bash and not bat, bowl or catch a ball the other day?

benchmark00

Over the past couple of years Beer has been one of the better t20 'spinners' in the country. He normally opens the bowling and slides them on. Really tough to get away.

Hooksey

Banned
Great catch by Bairstow to get rid of Watson.

Inspired by the earlier comparisons of Borthwick with Warne. I'm now looking for flashes of Alan Knott in Bairstow.

Hooksey

Banned
Having seen Bairstow just turn that 3 into a 7 by throwing the ball to the boundary I've abandoned the Alan Knott comparison. It proved about as fruitful as the Borthwick Warne comparisons earlier :laugh:

Mark68

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Having seen Bairstow just turn that 3 into a 7 by throwing the ball to the boundary I've abandoned the Alan Knott comparison. It proved about as fruitful as the Borthwick Warne comparisons earlier :laugh:
Bairstow's a magician then? Turning a 3 into a 7. A neat trick.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bairstow's a magician then? Turning a 3 into a 7. A neat trick.
He's not lying...

Anderson to Rogers, 7 runs, this squirts off a thick outside between the slips and gully, and it will turn into a seven! It was chased hard to the boundary by Bell, but Bairstow collects the throw and hurls it straight past the non-striker's stumps. Something else to add to England's list

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I've no idea where we go from this.

It is the batting which let us down, but it's hard to say that the batsmen who played in the series were not, more or less, the best available. Cook, Bell and KP all failed but they are comfortably the 3 best batsmen in the country. Root failed, but he's precisely the sort of young talent that will be our future.

Carberry shouldn't play again, despite on paper doing relatively well, because during his long struggles at the crease he demonstrated that he is not Test class at present - he reminded me of Ramprakash struggling in 1991 - and at 33 he is not the future.

I'm not sure about Bairstow. A lot of people rate him very highly, though I've yet to see him play well. But he's not the reason we lost the series.

I liked the cut of Ballance's jib and my lengthy experience of him as a stalwart of my Sussex team in International Cricket Captain proves to me beyond reasonable doubt that he is the real deal.

As for the bowling, Swann's departure leaves an enormous hole. We lost a really good bowler, our only Test-class spinner, a good slip fielder and the heartbeat of the team. More fundamentally still, the balance of the bowling unit and the team as a whole will have to be re-thought.

Anderson's decline is another big worry, although high-class seamers are probably easier to replace than high-class spinners.

Bleugh. Tired and depressed.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
There just seems to be a generation of players that have either, not developed as expected, or not been given opportunities under Flower (focusing on test cricket). I'm thinking off the likes Patel, Bopara, Moeen, Davies, Morgan, Compton, Chopra etc. I mean, there's still time for them of course, but it's slightly worrying that only Compton, Morgan and Bopara have some test experience. I thought Trott and Bairstow were extremely lucky to make the squad as the former was going through a two year form dip and the latter has such obvious technical deficancies.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
There just seems to be a generation of players that have either, not developed as expected, or not been given opportunities under Flower (focusing on test cricket). I'm thinking off the likes Patel, Bopara, Moeen, Davies, Morgan, Compton, Chopra etc. I mean, there's still time for them of course, but it's slightly worrying that only Compton, Morgan and Bopara have some test experience. I thought Trott and Bairstow were extremely lucky to make the squad as the former was going through a two year form dip and the latter has such obvious technical deficancies.
Compton was sawn off far too early imo. Oh to be in the position now to think about dropping a relatively new guy with 2 test centuries. Trott was never going to be dropped, it's just not the way the selection panel worked. Bairstow i agree should not have been in the squad. Really now though we need to leave the Bopara's and other's of his generation behind us.

flibbertyjibber

Cook

Bell
KP

Stokes

Broad

Anderson

Would say those are the only ones certain to start the English summer so plenty for the new selection panel to ponder in the coming months. Early season form has never been so vital for young players.