• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England post ashes 13/14

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well we may go without a spinner depending on conditions and go with an extra bat.

Borthwick has an average Lyon can only dream of. :ph34r:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Cook

Bell
KP

Stokes

Broad

Anderson

Would say those are the only ones certain to start the English summer so plenty for the new selection panel to ponder in the coming months. Early season form has never been so vital for young players.
Finding an opener and a 3 will be hard but top order runs can just fix so many team issues its important. Haven't seen Robson or Compton but I wouldn't pick Carbs or Root. Getting a start and getting out at 33 isn't what you need and Root just doesn't look suited to open (technique) or 3 (gears). Not sure Bell helps at 3. Weakens a strength for debate able gain.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Finding an opener and a 3 will be hard but top order runs can just fix so many team issues its important. Haven't seen Robson or Compton but I wouldn't pick Carbs or Root. Getting a start and getting out at 33 isn't what you need and Root just doesn't look suited to open (technique) or 3 (gears). Not sure Bell helps at 3. Weakens a strength for debate able gain.
Compton is slow starting (which is what did for him) but is likely to get a score if he stays in. He has a big front foot which will do for him if it swings. Has two test match centuries on flat pitches but in fairness to him none of the rest of the team were stepping up in that series and NZ have a decent attack.

I haven't seen Robson either.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Cook
Compton, for now
Root
Pietersen
Bell
Stokes
Prior, for now
Broad
Anderson
Finn
A spinner

Not a spinner who can bat, there's already an alrounder in the team. Pick the best prospective spinner and play them every game, no matter what. England should be relying on their senior bowlers anyway, and the presence of Stokes in the team means they can afford to ease their spinner into things, much like NZ has done with Sodhi.

Blocky

Banned
Sodhi is a terrible selection for New Zealand and one that shouldn't be replicated anywhere in the world. The guy doesn't even deserve to play for the Northern Districts, let alone NZ.

My team selection for England would be something like

1. Cook (Never to Captain England again)
2. Root
3. Bell (failed in Ashes, but still needs to be tried here)
4. Pietersen
5. Sam Robson
6. Stokes
7. Jos Buttler (or Prior, if rejuvenated)
8. Broad (Captain)
9. Borthwick (Can bat, offers something with the ball and has the back up of Root, spin will not take wickets for England unless they get Swann out of retirement)
10. Anderson
11. Finn on the caveat that he's bowling quick. If he's not, drop him and find the fastest bowler in county cricket.

Blocky

Banned
I like the idea of the newest batsman in the team being allowed to settle at 5, and I also think #5, 6 and #7 should have experience combatting the newer ball because if the top order bats reasonably well, chances are they'll be in around the 80th over. I mean you could look to swap Bell and Robson around but I feel ultimately, Root has shown he's got the grit to handle opening, he's already had some result there and should be given a chance in his preferable position.

Do England have any out and out 150kmh bowlers in domestic at the moment?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Good, means Carberry and Bairstow can keep their places without preventing new faces coming in. #Escapegoat

:dry:

Tangles

682 @ 34 isn't flash but he's only bettered by Bell over the 10 Ashes tests. Had the most runs in Australia iirc so obviously the scapegoat. Lol

theegyptian

Pietersen has done enough crap over his career that if they do decide to drop him permanently I wouldn't complain. I'm indifferent really. It would hurt the team in the short term but would probably prove beneficial in the long run.

Tangles

He looked your best bat against us bar Bell in England. You don't have the depth to drop him from what I saw over 10 tests.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seems as if the knives are out for Pietersen. We don't know what has gone on behind the scenes though so it is difficult for us to comment.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah it is bloody anoying though.

Flower is a really impressive guy and does not strike me as the sort of person to hold petty grudges but really who knows. Either way I unlike some would be really sad to see KP go.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'd be sad to see him go as well, but I think, as others have said, it'll be the behind the scenes stuff that'll determine his fate. England would be stupid to cast aside a fully fit/motivated Pietersen, but if his heart's not really in it, and he's not interested in sticking around whilst the side goes through a period of rebuilding it's probably better to get rid sooner rather than later, as he'd just be taking the place of someone else who would really put their heart into it.

God knows who they'd replace him with if they did punt him though. Probably doesn't bear thinking about.

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
Flower is so clearly the one that needs to piss off, everyone has a clean slate then and the team can genuinely move on, with that arrogant bastard in charge England are going nowhere.