• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Top 7 going forward?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Borthwick needs to justify his place for his batting alone if he's going to have a long Test career - at First Class level he takes less than two wickets per match and has only two five-fers - in fairness to him Durham tracks aren't generally conducive to what he does, but whichever way you cut it he's no Shane Warne (although bizarrely his overall strike rate is better than Warne's, and by a distance - I suspect because of the timing of his being brought on to bowl)

England need to decide who their next potential match winning spinner is and then stick with him - to my mind it's obviously Kegga - he's got 11 five-fers and twice taken 10 in a match in fewer outings than Borthwick has had - he has had more favourable wickets to bowl on, but then until last season he had to share those with Keeds, who was day in day out one of the best spinners in the country, yet Kegga often outbowled him

It's ridiculous to suggest that after one lousy outing a bowler with Kegga's talent should be discarded and if England do do that then Flower and the selectors need to be put up against a wall and shot, not just sacked

Flem274*

123/5
cbf writing up the same post I did ages ago but the gist is the stars aligned for what was always a potentially good team and they beat the crap out of a side where everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Don't panic.

Prior is still easily the best option England have and since recall has been the best wicket keeper batsman in the world. He's had a crap 6 months, but many do. Keep the faith.

I wouldn't change much. I'd be wary of dropping Carberry since he wasn't an improvement on the much maligned but statistically competent Compton, who was shunted fairly quickly once everyone realised he was no Compton snr but just a solid and uninspiring batsman. I've never seen Robson play so I have no idea how good he is but don't make a similar mistake with Carberry. Sometimes you just need to settle, like South Africa have with Alviro.

You guys also need to decide where Root plays. IMO batting number three for England as a young man isn't the most trying job in the world, though it is tough. Still, Bravo and Williamson bat at three for teams which have had even less stability from the openers than England does now at times. With Stokes succeeding down the order there isn't really room to play Root as the sheltered rookie anymore and he has opened in CC hasn't he? Bat him at three and see what he is made of.

Cook
Opener
Root
KP
Bell
Stokes
Prior

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The thing about Prior is that all his struggles have been against the one team. Or was his home series against NZ no good either?

King Pietersen

International Captain
If I was picking an XI for a game that started tomorrow. I'd go with:

Cook
Robson
Bell
Pietersen
Taylor
Stokes
Buttler +
Broad
Anderson
Onions
Kerrigan

Lot of rebuilding to do for England. I wasn't too keen on dropping too many players, but the 5th Test was embarrassing. Bairstow definitely has to go and I'd replace him with Buttler, until Prior goes away and scores runs for Sussex Buttler's the best shout, Root needs big runs for Yorks to even be considered, Carbs needs to go away and pile on the runs, I'd go for Taylor ahead of Ballance, and then I think Kerrigan should be given another go. Had a shocker in his first Test, but is a better bowling option than Borthwick or Dockrell right now for me.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No good vs. NZ in Eng as well.

Only 2 Tests though. Masterful away to them. Think he went into the Ashes slightly out of nick after that NZ series, and then having the same opponent thereafter has really worked him over.

I'd have him back against Sri Lanka unless he fails miserably early season for Sussex.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shouldn't Woakes now be a shoe-in?
So Woakes as 4th bowler as back up to Stokes, Anderson and Broad?

Wouldn't be against that. 6,7 and 8 being Woakes, Stokes and keeper in whatever order they choose.

Might be the right time to go back to making side tough to beat by having long batting line up like they did when Swann and Broad first started.

grecian

So play the Somerset team?
Finally some joined-up thinking, capital idea old Chap.

Make them all play for their counties from the off next season and then pick Stokes plus the first six in the averages as at the weekend before the first Test
Yes, I wouldn't go that far, but, I honestly think we need to announce to the counties, that the closed-shop has ended, and with some time before the First Test, that people that stand-up and perform can get a place.

So I'm not going to name a 7, because I hope the selectors have an open mind too, about most of the team.

King Pietersen

International Captain
The thing about Prior is that all his struggles have been against the one team. Or was his home series against NZ no good either?
Crap in the home series against NZ too. Top score of 39 in 4 innings, other 3 innings he made 4 runs. Was very good in the 3 series prior to that though, so with a good start to the CC season, he could be in with a shot of getting back in. It's all on him. I'd certainly back him to do a better job than Bairstow. Time for Buttler to be given a go for me though.

Pothas

Yes, I wouldn't go that far, but, I honestly think we need to announce to the counties, that the closed-shop has ended, and with some time before the First Test, that people that stand-up and perform can get a place.

So I'm not going to name a 7, because I hope the selectors have an open mind too, about most of the team.
Yeah one of the only good things about this whole debacle is the early county season is going to be really interesting now, just hope we get some decent weather. Incentives are really there for everyone.

A few players really have to make runs, Prior in particular but others have just got a great opportunity. Will be interesting to see if Trott makes the start of the county season.

grecian

Yeah one of the only good things about this whole debacle is the early county season is going to be really interesting now, just hope we get some decent weather. Incentives are really there for everyone.

A few players really have to make runs, Prior in particular but others have just got a great opportunity. Will be interesting to see if Trott makes the start of the county season.
Yep, I think we really need to look at all, young, old, intermediate, honestly if Foster or Read get off to a fast start, why not?, at least we know they'll ****ing catch the ball. Oh and yes if people currently in the England set-up smash it out of the park, then they may deserve more faith.

I'm really not drawing the line under anyone, but just feel we need a real sense of competition.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you realise what shoe-in means? Of course he isn't, especially considering Stokes now occupies the role he was initially picked for.
I don't think there was a designated 'role' for Woakes. He was just picked at six in a dead rubber to see what he could do. I don't think there is a long-term plan for him to bat in the top six unless he really puts up some big numbers in CC. He can slot in just fine at 8, thus allowing for five bowlers.

Flem274*

123/5
Woakes FC v List A record is so different. Makes me wonder just why he was picked for ODIs first and so often.

He could be a very handy player in a dual allrounder combo with Stokes provided he turns out to be one of those unspectacular yet effective types rather than just not quite up to it.

91Jmay

International Coach
Woakes should be in Englands plans, without question. Even if its just as Stokes back up for now. He would really sure up the batting with Stokes and the keeper, and his bowling is very useful. I worry that he and Stokes could have off days with the ball though resulting in us bowling Broad/Jimmy into the ground. Especially if the madness with Borthwick is persisted with.