• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Will Win

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It was in reference purely to batting. You'd admit that Klusener's batting is not anywhere near what it used to be? In his last 19 matches he's failed to cross 50 and has crossed 15 just 3 times. That's 13 innings. Take away the not outs and in 9 innings he's crossed 15 twice.
Klusener has indeed been disappointing of late. He's not, however, I don't think, had quite the opportunity for devestation that he had in his glory days of 1998-2000.
I still hope he can return to his swashbuckling best.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Why on Earth not? 8-)
Because it wouldn't have done too much long-term harm - you yourself have said that losing one ODI doesn't matter all that much.
Had England lost to Sri Lanka Vikram mightn't have got the stay-of-execution (and the chance to invert his appalling record v Zimbabwe) that he has. And there are others.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
As shown by their fantastic run of recent results 8-)
Vs. WI it's still 3-3 in the last 7 games - plus one washout that SA were on track to win.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Which makes my picking it all the better then...
It was you? Oh, right - good guess, then!
I was presuming it was patriotic optimism on Liam's part.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It wasn't a guess, I actually analysed it and explained why.

I also did it before the event, rather than posting with the benefit of hindsight...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
Vs. WI it's still 3-3 in the last 7 games - plus one washout that SA were on track to win.
Another clear example that you didn't see the game. Ask Kallis if South Africa was 'on track' to win that game. South Africa was batting under lights on a minefield of a pitch with the ball moving at inhuman angles and Dillon bowling well. South Africa could easily have fallen away to defeat as the game was still very much open given the conditions.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
It was you? Oh, right - good guess, then!
I was presuming it was patriotic optimism on Liam's part.
I expected the West Indies to make the semifinal and possibly the final, but I expected they'd collapse terribly somewhere along the way, thus losing it. They did collapse terribly, but they still won. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Another clear example that you didn't see the game. Ask Kallis if South Africa was 'on track' to win that game. South Africa was batting under lights on a minefield of a pitch with the ball moving at inhuman angles and Dillon bowling well. South Africa could easily have fallen away to defeat as the game was still very much open given the conditions.
I did see the game (well, all of it that lasted, anyway). Yes, Dillon was looking pretty good and the pitch wasn't playing very well, but we can really expect the might of Hurley and co. to take advantage of that, can't we. 8-) I would have been most surprised had South Africa not won that game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
It wasn't a guess, I actually analysed it and explained why.

I also did it before the event, rather than posting with the benefit of hindsight...
Hmm... and anyone could have a decent stab at analysing and explaining why any of the big 8 could have won the thing, and end-up being proven right. :)
Any chance of a link to this? 'T'would presumably make an interesting read with hindsight.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I believe I added comments about said bet and justifying it, but can't remember where they'd have been.