• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Euro 2004 Forum

Cloete

International Captain
Luckily Fox Sports have all the live coverage over here so I'll be able to watch it all.

I wouldn't go too far past Sweden at 28-1, if a top team's off form sweden will beat them. If a top team is playing well they'll simply be outclassed.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Cloete said:
Luckily Fox Sports have all the live coverage over here so I'll be able to watch it all.

I wouldn't go too far past Sweden at 28-1, if a top team's off form sweden will beat them. If a top team is playing well they'll simply be outclassed.
I wouldn't touch Sweden. Don't have enough class to win it.

nibbs

International Captain
The Danes lack the class, but they have a good unit, capable of some big results. If they can string it together like they did '92 who knows. But they lack a Schmeichel and a set Laudrups. Thats the only issue.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
nibblet said:
The Danes lack the class, but they have a good unit, capable of some big results. If they can string it together like they did '92 who knows. But they lack a Schmeichel and a set Laudrups. Thats the only issue.
In other words have no class at all.

Rank outsiders for me.

Craig

World Traveller
Proud Indian said:
Yes we do...its called soccer...
Ok it is a European Football/soccer tournament held every four years with 16 of Europe's best countries compete in a tournament and the winner of it is crowned European Champions.

Stuff like 'Euro 2000' and 'Euro 2004' is the name of the European Championships with the name of the year it is in.

Hope this helps.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
I wouldn't touch Sweden. Don't have enough class to win it.
Well at least they have half a chance now with Henrik Larsson coming out of international retirement. And this is the same Sweden that knocked off England 1-0.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:
Well at least they have half a chance now with Henrik Larsson coming out of international retirement. And this is the same Sweden that knocked off England 1-0.
Friendlies count for absolutely zero.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
I love America.. 8-)
You know you could have actually answered his question. If I had said what you did, chances you and Andre would be telling me off for saying such a thing.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Im really looking foward to Euro 04, i like England's chances, i would be a lot more confident if they had a better keeper, but i think they have a good shot anyway. Im tipping France, like most people are, they hae the top players in great form, Holland have a team you can never count out, Italy have great players, you can never write off Germany and Czech Republic look like good outsiders. My top 3 picks are
1st: France
2nd: Holland
3rd: Czech Republic

Craig

World Traveller
France will require Zinedine Zidane to find his true form, Denmark really need Jesper Gronkjaer to be more consistent. Gronkjaer isnt a bad player, but needs to show more consistentcy in his game.

Greece may surprise a few.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
England will fall at the last hurdle like they always do.

I haven't really taken notice of recent friendlies so I wouldn't know who's on form to win.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Friendlies don't make much sense any more with 11 substitutions etc.

England will, I think, go out in the semis.

Still stand by my Germany bet as value.

Craig

World Traveller
Group A (Portugal, Greece, Spain, Russia) analaysis:

Portugal - Have home ground advantage and the backing of their home crowd. They are a solid side, however some of their stars like Rui Costa, Luis Figo are getting on a bit, and players like Cristiano Ronaldo are yet to establish themselves at international level. The fact that they didnt have to qualify and havent played a competitive international in two years when this tournament start may actually count against them.
Spain - One of the under achievers considering the talent they have available. Raul hasnt been in the greatest form this year at Real Madrid, but they have talented up and comers in Fernando Torres and Jose Antonio Reyes. Their defence leaves a lot to be desired, but a blessed in a world class goalkeeper in Ikar Casallas whom I consider the 3rd best keeper in the world.
Greece - Could surprise a few. They finished above Spain in the qualifyers which is a creditable performance in its self. They have some good midfielders. I'm not an expert in Greek football, but dont be surprised if they better then expected.
Russia - Out in the group stage. Wales are appealing their spot in the tournament, but have little chance of success (Wales winning their appeal).

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Craig said:
Ikar Casallas whom I consider the 3rd best keeper in the world.QUOTE]

Errrrrrrrr.

VERY overrated IMO. Good shot stoper - parries way too much on crosses/shots he should catch - that leads to a lot if goals I've noticed.

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Craig said:
Well who do you consider to be the top goal keepers in the world?
1) Kahn
2) Schwarzer
3) Friedel
4) Recber
5) Buffon
6) Lehmann
7) Coupet
8) Dida
9) Canizares
10) Cassilas
11) carini
12) Dudek