• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v India

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Just woke up and trying to piece together what's happened...WTF.

What's all this about Bopara getting booed?? Scorecard at least suggests he was our best on ground??
It was the british indians booing him. Like Saj Mahmood and the british pakistanis a few years ago. Guess they feel like they've somehow betrayed their heritage which is lol. Most of the the indian fans are presumabely second generation brits just the same as Saj and Ravi. Might go someway to answer why England haven't produced more players of asian descent. Disgusting really and gotta feel for Ravi and before him Saj.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It was the british indians booing him. Like Saj Mahmood and the british pakistanis a few years ago. Guess they feel like they've somehow betrayed their heritage which is lol. Most of the the indian fans are presumabely second generation brits just the same as Saj and Ravi. Might go someway to answer why England haven't produced more players of asian descent. Disgusting really and gotta feel for Ravi and before him Saj.
Hahaha, what?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, it was a bit ignorant. The Tebbitt Test is one of the most assinine things in the world, have no trouble with people living here supprting any damn team they wish too. Yet booing people of Indian extraction, just makes little sense, it's not even as if these players could play for India if they wanted too.

Just not cricket.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Piss off, you're not Jono therefore you don't get to post annoying pictures of Virat Kohli. You need to earn that right.

theegyptian

Hahaha, what?
I would imagine it's pretty self explanatory if you think about it. If that is the British Indian attitude to a British asian turning out for England you're probably not gonna want to play for England. If you're gonna get barracked for it and discouraged by your family and friends you're probably going to do something else. I don't have a problem with it particularly. If you dont want to play for England because your allegiance is with the country of your parents well thats w/e. I just don't think it is always fair to put the blame completely at the feet of the ECB for not bringing on more asians into the game when you can't do much when their allegiance is to India, Pakistan, Bangladesh or SL or their families are so against it.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I would imagine it's pretty self explanatory if you think about it. If that is the British Indian attitude to a British asian turning out for England you're probably not gonna want to play for England. If you're gonna get barracked for it and discouraged by your family and friends you're probably going to do something else. I don't have a problem with it particularly. If you dont want to play for England because your allegiance is with the country of your parents well thats w/e. I just don't think it is always fair to put the blame completely at the feet of the ECB for not bringing on more asians into the game when you can't do much when their allegiance is to India, Pakistan, Bangladesh or SL or their families are so against it.
Obviously I don't have first hand experience but I seriously, seriously doubt:

1. When an Englishman with subcontinental heritage picks up the game as a kid, he'd get barracked and discouraged by his family on the grounds that if he turns out to be good enough, he'll be playing for England.

2. If someone of the above description actually turns out to good enough to represent England, he'd be discouraged at that point - after several years invested - by his family.

Essentially, the question of allegiance does not come in when people are still learning the game and the game becomes too important when the 0.005% of players finally cut it for allegiance to matter that much so I don't really think you have a point with re: to more asians at groundroot levels.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Is there anything other than anecdotal evidence to back that up?

theegyptian

Obviously I don't have first hand experience but I seriously, seriously doubt:

1. When an Englishman with subcontinental heritage picks up the game as a kid, he'd get barracked and discouraged by his family on the grounds that if he turns out to be good enough, he'll be playing for England.

2. If someone of the above description actually turns out to good enough to represent England, he'd be discouraged at that point - after several years invested - by his family.

Essentially, the question of allegiance does not come in when people are still learning the game and the game becomes too important when the 0.005% of players finally cut it for allegiance to matter that much so I don't really think you have a point with re: to more asians at groundroot levels.
I don;t know. There are many reasons why more Asians don't make the breakthrough to the professional game. This attitude today by some of the crowd suggests that they don't see playing for England as viable option for a British Indian. You're unlikely to make it as a cricketer if you don't have the support of your family in your early years. There are clearly issues on both sides. Many British Asians have felt( and still feel) English cricket is institionally racist. Many don't see a job as a professional cricketer as a worthy profession. Some people feel that British Asians don't do enough to integrate with the English game and viceversa.

There are many issues and I;m not really intelligent enough or like you completely in tune with the situation to make a thorough look at both sides of the argument but yes I believe what happened today showcases a section of british asians attitude towards playing for England. If someone like Bopara who is born in this country can be seen as a traitor by British Indians for playing for England then surely something is wrong.

theegyptian

Is there anything other than anecdotal evidence to back that up?
well no I haven't conducted an investigation. I was just offering an opinion on a subject which interests me. I'd love England cricket to harness a bit more of the asian population to make the cricket team better and for the benifits that it could hopefully do to society as a whole to help integrate different communities and help people be more understanding of different cultures and make the country a happier place.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
As an individual who, similar to the English born Indian fans is born in Australia but supports Indian, I don't feel that I haven't "assimilated" into Australian life or whatever that Tebitt Test is/was defined as. And I couldn't give a **** if people like me (albeit born in England rather than Australia) make Neil Pickup "angry" as this earlier post suggested (and if I've misunderstood I apologise). To me a view that they must support England or else have not assimilated or are not true Brits is just a lack of perspective on life really, and an inability to understand how other cultures and family upbringings work.

Having said that, the English born Indian fans (or really, wherever they were born) who booed Ravi Bopara simply because he's of Indian ethnicity, are absolute ****tards of the highest order. If I saw that happening at a ground I would definitely let them know it too.

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Bopara wasn't the only one booed, when Nass called up Jimmy Anderson for his medal they booed him too, I don't think the booing had anything to do with ethnicity.