• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FINAL - Germany vs Argentina

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Messi is a terrible call, you could argue he was the most influential to his team's performance other than Rodriguez, and Argentina made the final. Nobody ever gets the golden ball without playing the full 7 games.

Also fair to argue he wasn't the best player, really just depends on how your interpret the criteria. Also how highly you value the group stage vs knockouts.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't think Messi is a terrible call, you could argue he was the most influential to his team's performance other than Rodriguez, and Argentina made the final. Nobody ever gets the golden ball without playing the full 7 games.

Also fair to argue he wasn't the best player, really just depends on how your interpret the criteria. Also how highly you value the group stage vs knockouts.
Not since 2010 anyway. :ph34r:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
World cups aren't won in the group stages, tbf.

Someone, think it may've been wpd, said after the 2nd round Messi had done more than Maradona had at the same stage in 86.

Maradona's a legend now.

Gotze the first sub to get the winner in a WC final, so Lineker has just informed us.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Thoughts on the Messi not an ATG without lifting the WC talk? Load of rubbish for me, you only have to look at what he's achieved at club level to see how good he is. Not his fault the Argentinian side have either been average, or had a ****house manager to go with it. Still one of the best players of all time imo.
Yep this.

He should arguably have scored that chance as well but I hate how a whole career is judged on a few games that happen every four years. Not that it should be ignored completely, but it is a negligible part of a career and just a tiny sample size. This is before acknowledging that the reason Messi hasn't won a World Cup is mostly not his fault anyway. Just ****s me. Sure, it might have an impact on what is remembered as the so-called defining moment of his career, but that is a very different thing to how good he actually is.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's a bit dumb, but you can win the golden boot by scoring a hattrick in the third place game so it makes sense you can win the other awards too.
Oh yeah absolutely, I wasn't challenging your point, I was just remarking on how it's just dawned on me that I simply do not think of that match as being a part of the World Cup proper.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just on Messi not being an ATG as he's never properly done it in a WC: Alfredo Di Stefano and Georgie Best never even played in a finals tournament...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep this.

He should arguably have scored that chance as well but I hate how a whole career is judged on a few games that happen every four years. Not that it should be ignored completely, but it is a negligible part of a career and just a tiny sample size. This is before acknowledging that the reason Messi hasn't won a World Cup is mostly not his fault anyway. Just ****s me. Sure, it might have an impact on what is remembered as the so-called defining moment of his career, but that is a very different thing to how good he actually is.
How the hell is it negligible, if he'd scored it would have been his climax and greatest moment. Negligible is almost totally opposite to what it is. In the end it would show he was great, it would show he held is nerve in the most pressure-cooker moment. It hasn't written off his career but it has seriously hindered his claims as greatest ever.

Again as I'm sure people will just concentrate on other stuff, my main point for arguing with Halz post is "negligible"