• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flattest you’ve felt after a sporting success

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Sometimes an event that should bring great joy doesn’t.

This year’s promotion from League 2 would be hard to top. Although even the Play Offs might not be entirely satisfactory, there is at least some tension and emotion involved.

A couple of years ago we drew 0-0 at Anfield in the FA Cup. I didn’t enjoy it at all. They had their Youth Team out and we spent the entire game camped in our own last third. It was horrible to watch and the Anfield atmosphere was flat.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's a hard question to answer because, almost by definition, such events don't really snag on the memory.

I guess beating Villa 1-0 in the last game of the 98/99 season felt pretty pyrrhic as we were relying on yer Spuds to do us a favour at Old Tartford to have any chance of retaining the title and they duly rolled over and had their bellies tickled 2-1 to make it ultimately pointless.

& England touching up San Marino 7-1 (after famously going one down after about 7 seconds when Pearce miss-hit a backpass and some plumber or something ran in and slotted it past Seaman) in the last game of the 94 WC qualifiers similarly meant squat as we needed Poland to beat the Dutch after home draws & away defeats to the Netherlands and Norway in the dog days of Taylor's regime. "Do I not like that!" "Linesman, linesman!" etc, etc.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India's Test series wins in England in 2007 and NZ in 2009 felt a bit flat because we could have won both those series 2-0, having set a huge target and failing to bowl out the opposition on day 5.

flibbertyjibber

Probably after winning the playoffs to get back into the league. A wretched season to watch in which we were clearly nowhere near as good as Chester or Hereford and we finished 3rd then won shootouts in the semi final against Barnet and then Aldershot in the final. It was hard to feel happy after as we were all so relieved we weren't stuck with another season in obscurity but deep down I knew we were lucky and were going to struggle the following season.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm going to get into trouble for this, but winning the 2019 cricket WC on the most boundaries rule didn't do much for me. Maybe not flat, but not as enjoyable as if we'd won it in less artificial circumstances.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm going to get into trouble for this, but winning the 2019 cricket WC on the most boundaries rule didn't do much for me. Maybe not flat, but not as enjoyable as if we'd won it in less artificial circumstances.
I have no problem with that win. It was the rules of the competition and we won. What makes it funnier is that you know when the next World Cup comes around we're going to get the hilarious "Will England win the World Cup for the first time" threads and know exactly who's going to start them. Someone will point out that it's trolling and you know exactly who will say "it's not trolling because it's true" ho ho ho. Every little snippet of bitterness (from non Kiwis) makes it better. That's not to say that New Zealand weren't shafted, but I was more uncomfortable with the overthrows because until that moment we were behind throughout most of the chase.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Arsenal thrashing an awful Villa in the FA Cup Final a few years ago was pretty anticlimactic at the time. The other FA cup wins either side against Hull and Chelsea much more memorable. Seems a lifetime ago.

Uppercut

The wins that really fall flat are the ones that prolong a regime that’s very obviously failing. Our 3-2 comeback win over Newcastle last season gave us a couple more painful months of Mourinho.

Burgey

You'd think for Liverpool fans it would be winning a title which will always have an asterisk next to it while not even being on the park.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I don't think winning a title without playing has all that much to do with it. Some of our more enjoyable titles weren't won on the field. 2003 and 2007 spring immediately to mind and of course we ended our own 26-year wait with Ferguson on the golf course; I don't think anyone has ever seriously suggested that took the gloss off of it. That said, winning it whilst no-one is allowed in to watch any of the games is quite funny.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I know there was some sort of apostrophe problem after the server move, but some of my older threads seem to have inserted a rather random selection of junk into the place where the apostrophe was.

Burgey

Must say I felt pretty flat after Parra's win over the mange yesterday. Very flat and given they were playing hapless water buffaloes, a two point win was rightly taken by the players as all but a loss