• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gatecrashing the party

Sir Alex

Banned
So? A lot of my Indian friends are also showing a "finger" to IPL for what it has "achieved...."
If you think IPL was formed and is being run with the sole objective of making India the greatest t20 nation on earth, mate you couldn't be further from truth.

You have the English Premier League for example. And you've a struggling England team on the other side.

That said, IPL indeed rang all warnings. People were talking up how the senior like Sachin, Kumble etc dominated the charts this time. But forgot or ignored that this meant the so called young brigade, who would be representing India, didn't perform to expected standards.

The moron selectors compounded the issue by completely ignoring the IPL performances and instead stuck with out of form players like Yuvraj, Zaheer etc.

Had the team to West Indies been selected on merit, ie, IPL performances alone, the squad would've been roughly.

Uthappa
Vijay
S Tiwary
M Dhoni
R Sharma
V Kohli
N Ojha
S Raina
P Ojha
H Singh
A Mishra
A Dinda
P Kumar/ U Yadav
V Kumar
Ashwin

With the above team we'd have a greater chance of making to semi, after which is a big lottery anyways.

It gives a shudder we couldn't select our best IPL players like

S Ganguly
R Dravid
Sachin
Kumble

Who would comfortably make the top 6 best indian performers in IPL.

And we missed the services of Sehwag due to injury also.

In short, our world Cup team was in no way representative of our best IPL players, on talent and form.

It's high time selectors woke up to the fact that past exploits are nothing without form in t20, and with 14 games IPL couldn't be a better indicator of that.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Those 3 paragraphs are full of anti IPL sentiment, and as if Pakistan has shown the middle finger at them by reaching semi of world Cup. It clearly mentions non inclusion of Pakistani players as a snub and injustice.
Its blatantly obvious the article isn't supposed to be taken seriously, or are you not familiar with satire.

Sir Alex

Banned
Its blatantly obvious the article isn't supposed to be taken seriously, or are you not familiar with satire.
It's a good piece apart from those 3 rubbish paragraphs. Camouflaging IPL hate under name of satire couldn't be more obvious.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Whatever dude........you keep on making your own assumptions and then start giving explainations for that.....carry on.........

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It ofcourse is. But the reasons behind their non selection was hardly a question of merit. It had to do with political gamesmanship.
That wasn't what was said at the time though. The "official" line was that none of the franchises thought the Pakistani players in the auction was good enough, which given the calibre of Afridi, Gul and Ajmal in particular, was clearly absolute nonsense. Whilst I think there was an over-reaction from some Pakistanis, I can completely understand why they felt slighted.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Tbf, I'm relying on my own memory, I just remember being utterly mystified that Afridi in particular didn't go for a huge amount in the auction and the official line given was that the franchises didn't feel the Pakistan players were worthy additions to the side - despite the fact that T20 novices like Kemar Roach got signed to fat contracts.

Sir Alex

Banned
That wasn't what was said at the time though. The "official" line was that none of the franchises thought the Pakistani players in the auction was good enough, which given the calibre of Afridi, Gul and Ajmal in particular, was clearly absolute nonsense. Whilst I think there was an over-reaction from some Pakistanis, I can completely understand why they felt slighted.
Shah Rukh Khan came out in open saying he was advised not to bid for Pak players. Or else he'd have definitely made a bid for Razzak.

While I do agree as a sporting decision it cost IPL a bit, it's impossible for it to take a decision without considering effects of it in the political sphere.

I think it was the right decision considering all aspects. But I would like to see them in a future IPL, with the exception of that **** Tanveer.

pasag

RTDAS
Tbf, I'm relying on my own memory, I just remember being utterly mystified that Afridi in particular didn't go for a huge amount in the auction and the official line given was that the franchises didn't feel the Pakistan players were worthy additions to the side - despite the fact that T20 novices like Kemar Roach got signed to fat contracts.
Nah, not what happened.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The third IPL auction, held in Mumbai on Tuesday, has been overshadowed by a controversy arising from the fact that not a single Pakistani player of the 11 on the auction list - including several of the World Cup-winning team - was picked up. Pakistan's players have reacted with anger and attributed the blackout to politics; the IPL has said it was the franchises' decision and the franchises have explained it on grounds of cricketing strategy or availability during the tournament.
However, the inclusion of Pakistani players in the IPL's final auction list, released on January 6, was on the basis of specific requests received from the franchises - every player on that list had to be officially sought by at least one franchise. It is not clear what changed in the franchises' thinking within two weeks.
Pakistan players hurt and angered by snub at auction | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2010 | Cricinfo.com

India's home minister, P Chidambaram, has said the exclusion of Pakistan players from the third season of the IPL was a "disservice to cricket" and reiterated there was no government advice to do so. There has been outrage in Pakistan over the snub to their players at the IPL auction, where none of their 11 cricketers, several of whom were tipped to be hot buys, were bid for.

"I think it is disservice to cricket that some of these players were not picked," Chidambaram told the news channel Times Now. "I don't know why the IPL teams acted in the manner they acted. But certainly to suggest that there was a hint or nudge from the government is completely untrue."
Meanwhile Darren Berry, a member of the Rajasthan Royals' coaching staff, wrote in his column in the Australian daily, the Age, that until a few weeks ago highly rated 19-year-old Pakistan batsman Umar Akmal was the franchise's main target at the auction. However, for reasons Berry wasn't sure of, Akmal dropped off Rajasthan's radar.
Pakistan players exclusion a 'disservice to cricket' - India home minister | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2010 | Cricinfo.com

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah, nowhere does it mention that they were overlooked on ability.

As Mr Alex says, there were other factors at play regarding visas, risk management and politics and whatnot.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If you think IPL was formed and is being run with the sole objective of making India the greatest t20 nation on earth, mate you couldn't be further from truth.

You have the English Premier League for example. And you've a struggling England team on the other side.

That said, IPL indeed rang all warnings. People were talking up how the senior like Sachin, Kumble etc dominated the charts this time. But forgot or ignored that this meant the so called young brigade, who would be representing India, didn't perform to expected standards.

The moron selectors compounded the issue by completely ignoring the IPL performances and instead stuck with out of form players like Yuvraj, Zaheer etc.

Had the team to West Indies been selected on merit, ie, IPL performances alone, the squad would've been roughly.

Uthappa
Vijay
S Tiwary
M Dhoni
R Sharma
V Kohli
N Ojha
S Raina
P Ojha
H Singh
A Mishra
A Dinda
P Kumar/ U Yadav
V Kumar
Ashwin

With the above team we'd have a greater chance of making to semi, after which is a big lottery anyways.

It gives a shudder we couldn't select our best IPL players like

S Ganguly
R Dravid
Sachin
Kumble

Who would comfortably make the top 6 best indian performers in IPL.

And we missed the services of Sehwag due to injury also.

In short, our world Cup team was in no way representative of our best IPL players, on talent and form.

It's high time selectors woke up to the fact that past exploits are nothing without form in t20, and with 14 games IPL couldn't be a better indicator of that.
:unsure:

AaronK

State Regular
since we are on this Pemier League subject.. I read somewhere that Pakistan is coming with their own Premier league.. the matches will be held in Abu Dubai. it will be called Middle East Premier League.. Pakistani board has got the approve of pakistani prime minister Zardari to form this league

yet another League to destroy and hurt cricket.. you offer loads of money to Pakistani players.. they are already fighting with each other ignoring complately the team spirit and the spirit of playing for their national team.. this will be a catstrophic decision for pakistani cricket..

Teja.

Global Moderator
Right, so I've just gotten back from this sixteenth birthday party, three hours before it was supposed to end. I'm feeling pissed off, slightly scared and feeling extremely sorry for the birthday girl.

Why? The damn thing was crashed. About four carloads of 19-20 year olds turned up about an hour in (just because one of their mates had been refused entrance) and began hurling abuse and broken bottles at the birthday girl's brother and his mates. One was weilding a machetti.

Naturally, a fight broke out, until we all (about seventy of us in total) barricaded ourselves out the back and waited for the cops to come. Cops came, and told us all to go home.

Discuss: a) What, for you, has been the worst party-crashing experience of your life, and
b) Why do YOU think people do it? Why would a bunch of twenty year olds want to gatecrash a sixteenth birthday party? Kicks? A need to fight?
:laugh: