• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Golden Ball

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Who will it end up being?

OK, I really just started this thread to ask, what's the earliest that a Golden Ball winner has been out of the WC?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Salenko won (shared with Stoichkov) the Golden Boot for leading goalscorer - five goals in one match does that for you - but Romario won the Golden Ball.

I don't think there has ever been a Golden Ball winner for a team that didn't reach at least the semis - certainly not one that I can think of.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Didn't FIFA give the Boot to Muller outright last time despite other players also scoring 5? More assists or somesuch.

Cobblers, if so. Only one stat matters in football.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Have Robben at 40/1 and he's been amazing so far. Has a great chance if the dutch make the finals, IMO.

Messi the favourite though, obviously.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't FIFA give the Boot to Muller outright last time despite other players also scoring 5? More assists or somesuch.

Cobblers, if so. Only one stat matters in football.
Yeah, they don't do shared Boots any more so Muller got it on assists - if they're equal as well it goes to the bloke who has played the fewest tournament minutes, I believe.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, four players had five in 2010 and Forlan didn't even get 3rd place. Müller got it for assists with Villa second having less minutes than Sneijder who had less minutes than Forlan.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I had a bet on Villa to win it that still paid out, at least at quarter odds. Which is all that really counts.

Mind you, quarter payout was still a bit ****.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Incredible player though he was, Puskas winning it in '54 seems something of a pisstake. I'd also thought Kopa won it in '58 (he went on to win the Ballon D'Or that year) so him not even being top 3 was surprising.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I had a bet on Villa to win it that still paid out, at least at quarter odds. Which is all that really counts.

Mind you, quarter payout was still a bit ****.
Wonder if they have small print that you don't win in similar circumstances this year.