• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest delivery to go for a boundary

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Botham may have dispatched a few in his 149* at Headingley in 1981. I know they bowled a bit wide to him at times, but several other decent deliveries disappeared in his glorious slog. Pietersen probably provided some examples too. Possible innings to start with are his 158 at The Oval in 2005, his astonishing hundred against SA at Leeds in 2012, and his equally astonishing ton in India a few months later. I'm afraid I can't help with specific deliveries, but others may be able to oblige.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sehwag hitting Harris out of the rough 2 feet outside leg stump should probably be in here as well I guess

TheJediBrah

Botham may have dispatched a few in his 149* at Headingley in 1981. I know they bowled a bit wide to him at times, but several other decent deliveries disappeared in his glorious slog. Pietersen probably provided some examples too. Possible innings to start with are his 158 at The Oval in 2005, his astonishing hundred against SA at Leeds in 2012, and his equally astonishing ton in India a few months later. I'm afraid I can't help with specific deliveries, but others may be able to oblige.
kind of defeats the purpose of the thread but sure you're probably right

pardus

School Boy/Girl Captain
Viv Richards boundaries off fellow West Indian Sylvester Clarke's wicked, jagging-in deliveries in 1981 B&H Finals (Somerset vs Surrey).
As the legendary Richie Benaud comments after one of the boundaries - "There aren't too many men who can do that".
Back then, it was very rare for batsmen to go after hostile pace bowlers, especially someone like Sylvester Clarke

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Maybe not the greatest ball, but it's Brett Lee and it just jags off the surface in towards his head at 142k+ at the WACA. Seen that shot played a few times since, but I think that's the first time I recall someone playing it like that (anyone else seen that shot before?)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yes (though perhaps not so impressive at Adelaide)

(Good thing about the update is that the above video should play from the correct time, 1:15:23)
Great clip, thank you for posting it. Interesting to see Knott playing that shot over the slips, since there were several times in subsequent series when he was caught at third man against Australia. Interesting interview with Jim Laker afterwards. He was expressing what we all felt at the time, but looking back we were a bit harsh given what happened to WI 12 months later. Our batsmen were effectively shell-shocked, and most of them weren't bad players at all.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe not the greatest ball, but it's Brett Lee and it just jags off the surface in towards his head at 142k+ at the WACA. Seen that shot played a few times since, but I think that's the first time I recall someone playing it like that (anyone else seen that shot before?)
Tendulkar started playing this quite late in his career and Sehwag at around the same time. Did anyone before attempt and execute this shot successfully (aside from funny tailender's adventurs). AFAIR no one played this shot until end of 20th century.

EDIT: I see Knott played something similar though not over wicket-keeper but over slips.

vcs

Tendulkar started playing this quite late in his career and Sehwag at around the same time. Did anyone before attempt and execute this shot successfully (aside from funny tailender's adventurs). AFAIR no one played this shot until end of 20th century.
I seem to remember Tendulkar playing it even in his Cape Town 169.

Altaican

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

EDIT: I see Knott played something similar though not over wicket-keeper but over slips.
Gilchrist played a similar deliberate upper cut shot off Shoaib Akhtar in 1999 World Cup Final. Sanath Jayasurya played that shot frequently too in the mid-90s (and got out to it a few times caught at third man). Nevertheless Tendulkar plays the shot much closer to the body than anyone else I have seen.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Gilchrist played a similar deliberate upper cut shot off Shoaib Akhtar in 1999 World Cup Final. Sanath Jayasurya played that shot frequently too in the mid-90s (and got out to it a few times caught at third man). Nevertheless Tendulkar plays the shot much closer to the body than anyone else I have seen.
Only guy I can beating that is Chamara Silva, a virtual no name. However he used to uppr cut bouncers over the off peg to thrid man boundary. I can remember once Zaheer Khan had a first fly slip 3/4 way to the boundary and picked him up there.