• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest ever innings played at Headingley

Better innings

• Botham 1981

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Stokes 2019

Votes: 24 96.0%

• Total voters

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pietersen's best innings was Arguably at Headingley too V South Africa 2012

Stokes' innings today was a better innings than Botham's though

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Might just be because it feels so fresh but I’m not sure there’s ever been a better innings than Stokes’s anywhere. Facing a genuinely excellent attack on a very tough pitch in the 4th innings with the Ashes on the line already puts it up there. Having to get the last 70 runs by clearing boundary riders while farming the strike, I don’t know how you even get close to that.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
It just had basically every facet of a great innings really, apart from not being chanceless.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Might just be because it feels so fresh but I’m not sure there’s ever been a better innings than Stokes’s anywhere. Facing a genuinely excellent attack on a very tough pitch in the 4th innings with the Ashes on the line already puts it up there. Having to get the last 70 runs by clearing boundary riders while farming the strike, I don’t know how you even get close to that.
Greatest at Headingley sure, but behave. Lara 153* in a similar situation was an almost faultless knock against Warne and McGrath on a worse pitch with Courtney Walsh at the other end.

Uppercut

Fair shout. That one looked much better too, being by Lara.

Can’t be too many others though.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I said when Perera played that it's got to be the most shocked I've ever been by the result of a test match. The same might have been true here except I had already been fantasising about England winning.

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
Leach comically cleaning his fogged-up glasses after every delivery tips this in Stokes' favor.

At times it looked like Stokes was batting with Woody Allen.

Last edited:

morgieb