• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A: Germany, Costa Rica, Poland, Ecuador

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
My take - jam has nothing to do with it. Germany just kept going, and going.

How anyone can say that they were lucky after they had hit the bar twice in a second is beyond me.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Poland's World Cup over already bar the shouting. Still, they've got their pride, and some nice flavoured vodka, it's all a Pole needs to get on in life.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Never write off Jerry.

Personally I'm pretty mystified why Poland seemed to be content with a draw. If Ecuador beat Costa Rica (as seems probable) they were pretty much out anyway.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Terrific game there. Poland fought hard and you have to feel a little sorry for them, but Germany played good football and made plenty of chances, and the better team won in the end.

Pretty dire group this one. I'd back Ecuador to take the other spot based on the way they played in game one. They should manage a point at least against Costa Rica, and that's all they'll need now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
Terrific game there. Poland fought hard and you have to feel a little sorry for them, but Germany played good football and made plenty of chances, and the better team won in the end.

Pretty dire group this one. I'd back Ecuador to take the other spot based on the way they played in game one. They should manage a point at least against Costa Rica, and that's all they'll need now.
Probably, but not necessarily. With a draw Costa Rica could still progress if they beat Poland & Germany beat Ecuador.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Probably, but not necessarily. With a draw Costa Rica could still progress if they beat Poland & Germany beat Ecuador.
Yeah, just realised that after I hit post.

Blaze

Banned
Wonderful finish to a frustrating game for me. I needed Germany to win as part of a bet I had going so when they finally scored I was very happy..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Poland could still go through if the following results happen

Costa Rica and germany both beat Ecuador
Poland beat Costa Rica

I'm hoping for a Costa Rica win later, just to keep the group alive :)

Blaze

Banned
Yeah I want Costa Rica to win as well..

Poland don't deserve to get through.. They paid for not being up for their first game.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Congratulations to the BBC:

1 min: Ecuador's record at altitude was said to be the reason behind their good record in qualifying and right from the kick off they are looking to hit the high ball to the front men.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Important 3rd goal from Ecuador there, means that a draw against Germany is enough for Ecuador to top the group.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Which increases the likelihood of Germany getting thrown out of their own party very early by the World Champions-elect, England :)

Steulen

International Regular
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Which increases the likelihood of Germany getting thrown out of their own party very early by the World Champions-elect, England :)
Keep dreaming. It means England out in round 2.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i hope Germany defeat Ecuador at least by a two goal margin since i don't want England to come up againts the germans in the round of 16 even though i think we would beat them.