• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't see it. Germany will surely beat them given that they have to, and after Australia's crushing win over Serbia they'll get edged out on goal difference.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Six places clearly more than Africa should have, of course I'll get panned for saying it, but South America only gets five and a half IIRC. South America has I believe 9 WCs, Africa yet to produce a semi-finalist...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Six places clearly more than Africa should have, of course I'll get panned for saying it, but South America only gets five and a half IIRC. South America has I believe 9 WCs, Africa yet to produce a semi-finalist...
Every 4 years people talk of the 'rise of Africa.' Right on time, magazines here have front page covers talking about how powerful Africa is. People seem to have a soft spot for African football. There is nothing wrong with that but often it interferes with assessing their ability. They are not, (collectively) as a group, very good.

Over the years I cant count the number of articles I have read on "The rise of Africa", "The Africans are taking over the world", "African Invasion"...etc

Two things about that. a) The numbers dont fit the hype and b) They always seem to focus on sub-saharan Africa and ignore North Africa that is arguably stronger.

Ive always been far more amazed by the efforts of teams from Scandinavia than Africa.

Regarding the 5 spots for S. America. Sure they only get 5 sports but there are only 10 teams in qualifying. When 50% are guaranteed qualification then it is hard to argue that they should have more.

It will never happen but Id combine CONCACAF with CONMEBOL and take a place from Africa and give it to them. Currently 4.5 from 10 and 3.5 from 35. TBH, they could also give it to Europe or a play off game.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I realise that the South American pool is small (will be 5 from 9 next time out, checked the allocation for 2014 after my last post) but quality over quantity. There's a fair chance that all 5 reps from CONEMBOL will make the last 16 - could wind up with just three but at this point Paraguay and Chile are both in with a very good chance.

With that in mind, no idea how good Ecuador are but are they better than the African sides we've seen in this tournament?

That being said I like your idea of CONEMBOL and CONCACAF merging.

I'd probably split the 31 places as follows:

14 Europe
10 Americas
4 Asia/Oceania
3 Africa

Haven't put any thought into it and it's probably completely flawed but that's how I'd do it

edit, on reflection it might be a little unfair. Potentially take away a place or two from Europe and have some global play-offs from all reps for the final spots, would balance things up a bit in terms of quality

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Qualfying is always an interesting process. This WC does not have the 11th and 12th ranked teams in the world (Russia and Egypt, #1 team in Africa by a mile)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ghana a reasonable chance of going through tbf
As Sean said, I can't see it. Jerry to thump them IMHO.

Personally think Algeria, gash as they obviously are, have more of a chance. They beat the US and a draw, a Slovenian win or an England win by two puts them through.

& qualifying should be worldwide, IMHO. We live in the age of air travel.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I agree in principle Brumby but obviously that will never happen.

Would love to see the Prem manager's faces if their players were flying to Vanuatu at the weekend

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Im all for global qualification. Im just not sure on the system. Obviously we dont want England playing Tahiti but on the other hand we dont want borderline teams complaining that they have to jump through hoops that bigger nations dont.

Off the top of my head, Id give all Confederation champs (not Oceania) automatic qualification to the WC as well as hosts and holders. The rest can go in a big pot. As I said, not sure of the best method though.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah it is hard to envisage how it would work fairly without an awful lot of matches which Europe would never accept.

South American countries like the current system as well I believe, the big league system has apparently been excellent in raising the standards of the nations other than Brazil and Argentina, something which seems aparent in this tournament so far.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah and thing with the South America thing is it's not got the random interference of a draw. Greece are probably worse than a few European teams who did not qualify this time round but obviously a league could not work in Europe. It's hard to be too critical but ever since Cameroon got to the quarters FIFA have been in love with African teams and yet it's still a massive achievement when one gets to the last sixteen.

In summary, UEFA should adopt aussie's suggestion of inviting Brazil and Argentina to the Euros and the WC should be discontinued

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah it is hard to envisage how it would work fairly without an awful lot of matches which Europe would never accept.

South American countries like the current system as well I believe, the big league system has apparently been excellent in raising the standards of the nations other than Brazil and Argentina, something which seems aparent in this tournament so far.
Fair shout; not one European team has really lived up to expectations so far (Netherlands have got the results, tbf, but haven't looked like Dutch teams of old) & the lesser SA lights (Chile, Paraguay & Uruguay) all likely to feature in the second stage with their bigger brothers.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Qualfying is always an interesting process. This WC does not have the 11th and 12th ranked teams in the world (Russia and Egypt, #1 team in Africa by a mile)
Egypt is a fascinating beast - unquestionably the dominant force in African continental football with an unparallelled record in the African Cup of Nations, yet they virtually never qualify for the World Cup and on the very rare occasions that they have, have achieved nothing.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I always thought the African qualifying doubled up as ANC qualifiers?
Yeah, it usually does. Thats why for 2010 SA were involved in WC qualifying tournament as it doubles as Af Nations qual and Angola (host of Af Nations) was involved in Af Nations qual as it doubled as WC qual.

Obviously with 5 places available for WC and 16 places for the Af Nations some teams would qualify for CAF and not WC. That is exactly what Eygpt did before going on to win CAF.

Interestingly, as hosts, SA didnt need to qualify for WC but as they took part for CAF qualifying they ranked 24th in African qualifying. Not exactly supporting their free pass to the WC.