• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - England, Russia, Wales, Slovakia

Which teams will qualify from this pool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah 3rd out of 4 should never be going through, it is a poor format but I don't really mind because I have enjoyed teams like Albania and it is more football.

Scaly piscine

Well, quite. Henderson the worst culprit, especially from dead balls, but most of the midfield were shocking. Dier the one exception, naturally.
Yes Dier a cut above again, didn't just jog about, passing it back and forth like he was in a park and hope by some magic a great opening would create itself. Hit firm low balls to people which others could spin off, always had a purpose to what he was doing.

grecian

I know I'm in the huge minority, but in general i'm finding this Euros execrable, so many matches don't matter and last minute goals lighting up some insipid matches.

Was looking forward to an England match on Saturday, but now it'll be another Monday. pfftt

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I know I'm in the huge minority, but in general i'm finding this Euros execrable, so many matches don't matter and last minute goals lighting up some insipid matches.

Was looking forward to an England match on Saturday, but now it'll be another Monday. pfftt
The format sucks. If Slovakia have to finish second we probably win that match but no excuses. It was actually much like every Tranmere game I've watched against part time teams except with higher quality, you'll understand what I mean.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
England have struggled across all 3 games to create enough chances. Not the only team though. With little pace or width your waiting for a killer pass but against 2 narrow banks of 4 few players have that skill.

All the defensive teams that get through will play the same way in knockout games. Defend for penalties and hope for luck before then or during. If England get one of them then they will struggle.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like this format. Who can complain about more matches at international tournaments, and watching smaller teams? :) But yeah, it would be a bit weird if a third placed side went on to win it after qualifying from the group with 3-4 points.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Should go the Champions League 1997-99 route. 6 group winners and two best runners up to the quarters.

vcs

The CL has gone completely stale in recent years, dull groups and predictable knockout matches with a few teams monopolising all the talent. This is much better.

vcs

I think the predictability of the CL and the domination of a few clubs has been quite a common complaint in recent years. Wouldn't say it's an uncommon view.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hands up who had Chelsea, Dortmund, Atletico Madrid, Juventus and Atletico again reaching the last 5 finals.

vcs

That doesn't really refute my point. English teams dominated the CL in the latter half of the last decade, but only actually won it once.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That doesn't really refute my point. English teams dominated the CL in the latter half of the last decade, but only actually won it once.
Chelsea's 2012 vintage were rotten, you're lying if you had them winning the thing.

vcs

My point was that listing the finalists doesn't change the fact that the Champions League has become quite boring and predictable over the last few years and dominated by the Spanish clubs and Bayern.

I brought up the English teams in the previous decade to show that they only actually won it once at the peak of their dominance (Liverpool's win predated 2007-2009, when 3/4 of the semifinalists were English). Juventus/Dortmund/Atletico's final upset the norm by making the finals (still none of them could win it).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, but if we are to consider all of the things you mention, the only real concrete conclusion that can be drawn appears to be: the good teams tend to do well. Not: the competition in itself is predictable.

vcs

Most of the top talent (player-wise and managerial) is too concentrated in a few top teams. I'd prefer it to be spread a bit thinner. Can't exactly blame them for doing a good job and running the club sensibly, I get your point, but money makes it much easier.

Also, the seedings in the group stages don't help matters. By Matchday 4/5, you know that these teams are going to top their group and avoid each other in the round of 16.

Last edited: