• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So many close games in this group, even Morocco at the bottom of the table were good. One of Spain or Portugal could so easily have missed out.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Here's a hint then. Try watching incidents before commenting on them aka spouting ****e.
Portugal has qualified while Morocco didn't. So the team which got shafted was Morocco. They were denied a penalty which cost them qualification. Portugal wouldn't have even qualified if Morocco got a penalty v them and scored. So who got shafted really?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Portugal has qualified while Morocco didn't. So the team which got shafted was Morocco. They were denied a penalty which cost them qualification. Portugal wouldn't have even qualified if Morocco got a penalty v them and scored. So who got shafted really?
Iran was cost qualification not Morocco. Morocco couldn't have qualified regardless of the result.

Victor Ian

International Coach
What the heck happened with that last corner kick from which Spain scored. The ball went out on the right hand side and they kicked it in from the other side, after sneaking it there while everyone is looking for it from the other side. Can you choose what side you want to take your corner from?

I'm only basing this on the rule in wiki... 'The kick is taken from the corner of the field of play nearest to where it went out. '

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So Portugal have to play Uruguay instead of Russia now cause of the penalty decision (plus Ronaldo's penalty miss)

Victor Ian

International Coach
Still confused about the Spain corner kick. Either the wiki rule is wrong or Spain cheated. Can't find any big furore over this so I'm guessing the playing side chooses their corner side and it was a great play by Spain. Can anyone confirm for a noob

Victor Ian

International Coach
This is from FIFA laws of the game Law 17 on page 53 if you wish to check

The ball must be placed inside the corner arc nearest to the point where the ball crossed the goal line
How on earth did they allow the Spanish goal? It seems everyone lost their head over the VARS review that deemed the goal was not offside. How has no one realised the kick into the goal square was illegal in the first place? It was placed on the opposite side of the field from where the ball went out. Spain lost. While they would have still progressed on Goal Difference, they would not be top of the table. Is this not singularly the biggest FUP of the world cup? And yet there is not a world being said about it anywhere. I have to listen to my wife go on about this like a rabid flat earther. Tell me it isn't so.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Depends who's taking them/defending them.

Some players can deliver an inswinging cross better than one that swings out etc. ANd some teams can defend one type better than the other etc.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Is there any advantage at all from taking a corner from one end compared to the other?
In this particular instance there was a good advantage. It seemed most players, Spanish included were looking for the ball on the side where you'd expect the corner to be taken and were all huddling up near the square looking the wrong way. So the Spanish managed to catch them a little bit off guard and not set up to defend properly. Still a great goal scored - I love those back foot shots - and if legal it was a masterstroke from the Spanish players. In fact, even if not legal, it was a masterstroke. They duped everyone.

I'll try and find footage - very hard to find though - they only show footage from the goal kick and not the minute before.