• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C: Argentina, Cote d'Ivoire, Serbia & Montenegro, Holland

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
(Jumping the gun) So Holland or Portugal in the quarters, be interesting.
Holland for mine. Could go either way though. Looks like the highlight match of the second round, unless Italy fail to beat the Czechs and finish second to Ghana, in which case they'll play Brazil.

Steulen

International Regular
TT Boy said:
(Jumping the gun) So Holland or Portugal in the quarters, be interesting.
Yep. The Netherlands in the QF against England. Easy ride into the semis for us then :).

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Because of the colony connotations which are associated with it and the fact that the British contrived the name not the people of Côte d'Ivoire.
Wasn't Cote D'Ivoire a French colony?

Steulen

International Regular
Arrogant? Who? Me? should have used the :p smilie, though :)

But seriously...what today's match showed is that both teams are incredibly hard to beat, and that the Dutch are in very good shape physically. With the English on a crash course in fatal lethargy, I seriously believe The Netherlands will come out on top should they meet in the QF's. Portugal and Ecuador up first, though.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Steulen said:
Arrogant? Who? Me? should have used the :p smilie, though :)

But seriously...what today's match showed is that both teams are incredibly hard to beat, and that the Dutch are in very good shape physically. With the English on a crash course in fatal lethargy, I seriously believe The Netherlands will come out on top should they meet in the QF's. Portugal and Ecuador up first, though.
Yes we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, however I think we'll both get through and will meet. I can't pick a winner to be honest, I'll venture that it'll be pretty close though.

Blaze

Banned
hmm Holland really have the hardest draw don't they?

In the group of death, finish joint top, lose out on goal difference and have to play Portugal in the 2nd round...

Oh well, I guess you have to beat the best to be the best...

Craig

World Traveller
Was the ref on a pay-per-yellow-card, and a tidy bonus for every red card in the Cote d'Ivorie andSerbia & Montenegro match?

Really though, where was Cote d'Ivorie's finishing? I mean two of their goals came from penalties, and one was a header? That is pretty poor, despite their many chances, even if they were missing Didier Drogba.

And was Serbian defender Dudic trying to win a contract with a NBA side or perhaps the Real Madrid basketball team?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The Ivory Coast/Serbia & Montenegro game was an absolute cracker. Didn't get it live here, but I caught the replay before bed, and it was one of the finest of the tournament.

Craig

World Traveller
FaaipDeOiad said:
The Ivory Coast/Serbia & Montenegro game was an absolute cracker. Didn't get it live here, but I caught the replay before bed, and it was one of the finest of the tournament.
The game started at 7.30 am on SBS), what time did you go to bed? :huh:

I missed the start as I was out getting the paper and missed the first goal.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
I always thought it was merely a translation of the name the French gave it. But then I was always rubbish at history. :huh:
The British derisively coined the term and the French just adopted it, it is quite strange that it is only a literal translation but the words Ivory Coast do net set well with the indigenous people. Kind like if Portugal had named their colony Brazil, Coca Land or The Bullion Coast. It is rather discourteous for the people to know the real implication and consequence of imperialism was solely Ivory (even though Ivory was not the most valuable commodity in Côte d'Ivoire)