• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has Jos Buttler put a case for a test place forward?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Thought he was up around the 35-36 mark and had one good year
To be fair this is pretty much exactly what happened.

2006-2012: 126 wickets @ 35.58
2013: 46 wickets @ 22.02

The one good year just did wonders for his overall record.

He seemed to have visibly improved when I saw him bowl last season though; higher in his action to make better use of his height, and was getting a lot more overspin on the ball too. I'm faaaar from convinced he'd be Test standard and I don't think I'd pick him, but I don't think he'd be an Ashley Giles esque defensive game pauser as such either unless he was just used really poorly.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Playing Borthwick is like us sticking with Steve Smith as a pure bowler a few years ago.
Haha yeah, I made the comparison at the time.

correctly keeping the faith?
Well, the Australian selectors didn't keep the faith, and I'm not sure his initial baptism did him any favours. He's hit three Ashes tons since and you still get the odd person who thinks he's a bowling all-rounder....

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Made up Buttler has joined Lancs but spare a thought for Gareth Cross, btw any idea what he will be doing next season?
Doesn't seem to be any counties interested in him. He's not exactly a world beater tbh, and can't see him improving many counties squads. Poor with the bat and not really good enough with the gloves to blinker those poor batting stats.

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Doesn't seem to be any counties interested in him. He's not exactly a world beater tbh, and can't see him improving many counties squads. Poor with the bat and not really good enough with the gloves to blinker those poor batting stats.
don't disagree with you but as a member of the 2011 champion side I feel a certain amount of emotion.