• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Henry Olonga Retired?

V Reddy

International Debutant
I just heard Tony Greig say that the Zim police have come to SAF for Olonga and the Saf police stopped them from meeting Olonga and hence Olonga has retired and he will not go to Zim b'coz he will get arrested if he goes there.Just heard it . So can't confirm it.

krkode

State Captain
This is intense:O

I hope he can just go away and live happily ever after, although I dunno how he can do that :(

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
He sent a letter to the press about it and it was read out on the news. I'm not sure what he's going to do because I heard he has a girlfriend or fiance and his family live in Zimbabwe. I don't think he's giving up cricket although he is a talented singer and he has often said that he hopes to have a career in music after he finishes with cricket. Maybe now is that time...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If that is true, then world cricket should boycott Zimbabwe 100%
unless and until his safety is guaranteed.

If it turns out to be true, then I feel that a 'stop the tour' campaign should be started to prevent Zimbabwe from coming over here this summer in the same way that the South Africans were stopped in 1970

I realise that this is unfair to the Zimbabwean team, but until the sporting authorities can prove that governments cannot pressurise them regarding team selection (as we all suspect has happened during this World Cup) there should be no place for them in the international arena.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't SA play a "coloured" player because of an order by the SA Prime Minister? Maybe it was, or maybe it was just another high ranking board member?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Didn't SA play a "coloured" player because of an order by the SA Prime Minister? Maybe it was, or maybe it was just another high ranking board member?
Whilst I cannot disagree, it was a decision taken on grounds of encouraging blacks to take up the sport - to give them a 'hero figure', if you like. It's a bit of 'reverse racism', maybe.

Whilst I can't say I wholeheartedly agree with the method, I cannot condemn the sentiment behind it.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Whilst I cannot disagree, it was a decision taken on grounds of encouraging blacks to take up the sport - to give them a 'hero figure', if you like. It's a bit of 'reverse racism', maybe.

Whilst I can't say I wholeheartedly agree with the method, I cannot condemn the sentiment behind it.
Well when they pick Justin Ontong in the place of Jaques Rudolf then something must be up :rolleyes:

I'm all for the selection of players who will bring something to the side, but Ontong is an average batsman and a rather average bowler (FC averages 30 and 43). Even Robin Peterson who has been picked in this WC hardly has an impressive record but when I saw him for the 1st time I realised he was what is commonly known as "Cape Coloured" (dark skinned), and that is probably why he was picked. South Africa will allways struggle when they pick players who are not up to playing in International cricket, but are playing just because they are black. It puts pressure on the players as well as the team which is appearing to "carry" that player.

I just wish they would pick players on ability, in trying to make up for a rather bad part of their history they are being rascist again, and so far they have suffered for it when they play top class opposition.

Oh and Pollock has just been sacked as Captain. Rather harsh I feel, it wasn't his fault his players just didn't perform. If it is about the miscalculation then that's also rather harsh, he is a human being, he can make mistakes. The question is who next?

Last edited:

krkode

State Captain
I agree that it's rather harsh to remove captains based on just the world cup. Look at all Pollock has done before that as captain...he's certainly done a great deal and it's sad to see he's been removed.

I would think Kallis would be a good candidate for captain...he's young, experienced and an important part of both test and ODI teams. Maybe Boucher...

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:

I just wish they would pick players on ability, in trying to make up for a rather bad part of their history they are being rascist again, and so far they have suffered for it when they play top class opposition.

Sharp intake of breath. If South Africa suddenly fast-tracked 6 or 7 lesser quality players into the side purely on colour, I would accept your point 100%.

The majority of the present side had an 'advantageous' upbringing. Remember that cricket clubs were no-go areas for blacks and coloureds until the 1990's, who played their cricket on matting pitches.

The current policy is one designed to bring players in at the grass roots of the game. An all-white team (although one which could bring short-term success) will further convince the youngsters that it is not 'their' game and there's a danger that they will just take up soccer.

If blacks are not encouraged to play the game, then cricket has no future in South Africa. If that's how they (the authorities) choose to encourage further participation, well, it's worth a try.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Sharp intake of breath. If South Africa suddenly fast-tracked 6 or 7 lesser quality players into the side purely on colour, I would accept your point 100%.

The majority of the present side had an 'advantageous' upbringing. Remember that cricket clubs were no-go areas for blacks and coloureds until the 1990's, who played their cricket on matting pitches.

The current policy is one designed to bring players in at the grass roots of the game. An all-white team (although one which could bring short-term success) will further convince the youngsters that it is not 'their' game and there's a danger that they will just take up soccer.

If blacks are not encouraged to play the game, then cricket has no future in South Africa. If that's how they (the authorities) choose to encourage further participation, well, it's worth a try.
Yeah fair enough, but Ontong just was not worthy of a Test place. Yes black players should be picked and encouraged but they really need to be of the right quality, Ashwell Prince looked like he could do a job but then he just lost it. The major problem I have is with the quotas, cricket should be open for all, and the colour of your skin should have nothing to do with your selection. Yes by all means attract them to play but don't just shove them in a team because they don't have white skin...pick them if they are good enough :)

South Africa will allways be in a mess until they let both races play alongside each other fairly, look at England, do we have quotas? No, but we have many "coloured" players like Mark Butcher, Alex Tudor, Hussain even. England mix cultures and are better for it. I hope South Africa stop trying so hard to make it up, they are doing the usual over-compensating.

Also, a final parting shot at Cricket In England: Players from the capes in South Africa might need to be encouraged but so do players from the minor counties in England. When you live in a minor county you are faced with a similer situation to the African youngsters, you need to go to the right school.

Sorry I'm just rather annoyed at the mo.

Langeveldt

Soutie
South Africa press for mixing cultures in every field imaginable...I have heard of people being told not to bother even going to a job interview because they are white, and there are not enough coloured people in the profession..Its a fact of life that in SA, you will have to make way for a non white person with less skill...That must be how guys like Jacques Rudolph and Martin Van Jaarsveld feel right now...

As for SA being the "rainbow nation", thats just a pack of lies designed to bring more tourists into the country...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
South Africa press for mixing cultures in every field imaginable...I have heard of people being told not to bother even going to a job interview because they are white, and there are not enough coloured people in the profession..Its a fact of life that in SA, you will have to make way for a non white person with less skill...That must be how guys like Jacques Rudolph and Martin Van Jaarsveld feel right now...

As for SA being the "rainbow nation", thats just a pack of lies designed to bring more tourists into the country...
Perhaps it's a case of trying to undo history?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:

South Africa will allways be in a mess until they let both races play alongside each other fairly, look at England, do we have quotas? No, but we have many "coloured" players like Mark Butcher, Alex Tudor, Hussain even. England mix cultures and are better for it. I hope South Africa stop trying so hard to make it up, they are doing the usual over-compensating.
The players you mentioned all had a chance to play cricket as they grew up. A lot of South Africans didn't.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
I am absolutely shocked at Greame Smith becoming Captain because he wasn't even in the WC starting squad for SA....Kallis or Kirsten or Boucher would have been better options IMO.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Marc, could you keep it on the mentioned topic ( Olonga) :rolleyes: .There is another thread for the captainsy of SAF in Cricket Chat ;) :D