• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Are You Doing On CM?

cpr

International Coach
My Utd save on '18 has been built on 3 at the back. Managed to pick up Rugani for peanuts in January (£11m ffs) so him, Bailly and Lindelof were my middle 3. I'd started on a 4-4-2 but was struggling to score, finding too many 1-0 wins and annoying 1-0 losses (so Jose). Bringing in Odriozola in that first window too allowed me to go to wing backs and just try and overpower teams (was a 5-3-2, with an AM), turned into a proper Keeganesque 'score one more than you' team.

Finally in season 6 I've managed to convert one CD into a DM and go for a mental 2 at the back. Wanted to do this from the start and use Blind as a CD/DM hybrid, but could never get it to work. Have a young Spanish regen/unknown I picked up in season one who's finally come of age and is basically Busquets II, so just sits in that hole and stops anything coming through. It helps the rest of the team is absolute class so little gets to the back line, and picking up Kessie in season 5 to replace Matic was a dream move.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
Games are too scared to go down that route for fear of litigation. Imagine a game where Juventus could bribe their way to the league title. It'd be realistic, but not very well received in Turin.

For similar reasons FM had to remove stuff like players failing drug tests (not even sure that made a full release in the end) and bans for punching officials (that one did)
FM doesn't even let real players have negative personalities; only regens.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Quite encouraged that Bayern have reacted to my league win by chucking in excess of £150m at new players, as well as signing Federico Chiesa for £84m in the January window. I've had issues with previous versions of FM where the challenge dies after 2 or 3 seasons because the AI is ****ing terrible in the transfer market.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The AI is definitely much better in the more recent games (as you'd hope/expect I suppose). Still not perfect, but miles better than what it was even a few years ago.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I never managed to get 3 at the back to work for Arsenal on FM18. Had similar results to you, some great wins but also some horrible defeats. In the end had to shift to a system with wingers which worked a lot better.
Lacazette and Aubameyang score almost every game so that is the reason for it. Working nicely now although still behind Chelsea at the moment, why is it always them who are good on this? I swear City are always rubbish.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The AI is definitely much better in the more recent games (as you'd hope/expect I suppose). Still not perfect, but miles better than what it was even a few years ago.
This is a positive though.

Last time I played the Bundesliga Bayern's transfer activity over 3 seasons was literally 'sign some backup striker from some other Bundesliga team for €10m'

Which made it easy as **** to dominate after 3 seasons. This time round I've made improvements to my squad, but what Bayern are doing, combined with playing in the Champions League as opposed to the Europa League will be a hell of a lot tougher.

Pothas

Chelsea choked so won the league but a horrible turn of events in the Europa league semi-final saw us going out after finishing the game with 9 men and Rob Holding in goal. Not had such a stupidly fun few matches on FM for years.

Pothas

and then a ridiculous penalty shootout win against Chelsea in the FA cup final in which almost everyone missed (which they seem to all the bloody time)

andmark

International Captain
I was working in a charity shop today and found CM 2000/01. I'm really quite tempted to get it to recreate the Arsenal Invincibles.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Does anyone else feel like they get awarded a disproportionately large amount of penalties on FM19?

I guess I shouldn't complain, but I have had about 15 awarded to me over the course of a season, which seems a lot.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
lol and just to add weight to the previous post, just beaten Chelsea 3-0 at Stamford Bridge with Lacazette grabbing a hat trick of penalties.

MrPrez

International Debutant
The preset tactics on FM19 (e.g. Gegenpress and Tiki Taka etc.) are absolute hot garbage.
Gegenpress was fairly good in my experience. The rest are awful though.

(To be fair, I haven't tried the default Gegenpress since the update, so they may have nerfed it).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Does anyone have any suggestions for tactics which allow you to play nice football and win? (with a team that is full of players who are fast, good technically and great at passing)

For some reason on FM19 the only permutations I seem to be able to come up with are "nice football and lose", or "horrible football and win".

Trying to play attacking passing football through the middle of the pitch seems an impossibility for me. Seem to score all of my goals from crosses (headers) and set pieces, which isn't especially pleasing (especially given my Starting XI contains a combination of Asensio, Chiesa, Bailey, Dele Alli, Van der Beek, and Cuisance).

Last edited:

Agent TBY

International Captain
I play the 4-1-4-1 with Chesterfield and "struggle for possession in the opposition's half" every game. It's funny because I end up with like 55-65% possession every time, which means my three midfielders are just knocking it among one another for the majority of the game. I should change my wingers to the Support duty, but they're so good at counters when they happen that I don't really want to.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think I have inadvertently discovered a cheat tactic. Absolutely smashing through La Liga with Valencia having made no signings at all. Top of the table after 10 matches, having barely conceded any goals and scored loads.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Ok, so 4-4-2 formation, positive mentality.

Two pressing forwards (one on attack and one on support)

Inverted winger (attack), BBM (support), DLP (support), Wide midfielder (support).

WB (support), Two CDs (both defend), FB (attack).

Sweeper Keeper (defend).

In possession:
Pass into space, play out of defence, low crosses, wide width.

In Transition: Roll in out, Distribute to CBs, counter, counter press.

Out of possession: Defend narrower, much higher defensive line, much higher line of engagement, extremely urgent, prevent short GK distribution, use offside trap.

cpr

International Coach
My FM18 tactic was (is) an absolute beast, its basically a 4-4-2 diamond but with the FB's up as WB's. Insanely attacking, but that's because I'm on season 7 now and my squad is immense. Until start of season 6 it was a 3-5-2, but dragged one CD into DM to basically act as a blocker in front of the line.

Despite having wing backs, Its set to narrow play/through centre. Even so, the amount of goals set up by the FB's is pretty impressive - and they get on the end of a fair few crosses from each other too.