• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How frequent should the World T20 be?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I like it every 3 years. There is already so much cricket that I don't want more T20 cricket. As the importance of T20 cricket increases, the international T20 world cups will hold more importance. I am not sure we need to worry too much about this, which the author ponders over.

I would also like lesser ODIs. India will keep playing a lot ODIs and very few T20s as more hours means more ad revenues. However, we do not have place for so much cricket all through the calendar year. I do hope to see ODI cricket being wrapped up in a decade or so, any ways.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2 years was alright for me, but mainly because of the lack of T20Is. If the number of those were to increase then I'm fine with a longer gap in between the World Cups.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Rebrand it IMO.

T20 World Championship and it gets decided every two years.
I'd like to keep it as distinct from the world cup proper as possible.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Well we essentially have a world ODI tournament every two years (World Cup and Champions Trophy on overlapping 4-year cycles), so I can see why people might want the intervening years to feature world T20 tournaments

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
no way, should be 4 years and people should basically do away with international t20 in between.

Just make it a sorta state-of-origin for t20 players.

91Jmay

International Coach
How much money did it make? Half of the grounds were empty and I know it was terribly ran by the BCCI but if it is an earner that can be used to help sustain the global game then 2 years. No point being prudish about it, cricket needs money.

Daemon

How much money did it make? Half of the grounds were empty and I know it was terribly ran by the BCCI but if it is an earner that can be used to help sustain the global game then 2 years. No point being prudish about it, cricket needs money.
Article in the OP has the deets.

Crowds were apparently excellent from the super 10 stage onwards, not sure how true that is.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
wasn't the idea for there to be an ICC event every year? Hence why there was a World T20 in 2009 and 2010

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
wasn't the idea for there to be an ICC event every year? Hence why there was a World T20 in 2009 and 2010
Don't think so. The 2010 World T20 was meant to be a Champions Trophy, but because the 2008 one in Pakistan got cancelled, they ended up doing a Champions Trophy in late 2009 instead. So they changed the West Indies tournament to a T20.

Having an ICC tournament every year sort of makes sense though. I'd keep it every two years as others have said.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Every 4 years, ICC to pioneer a double wicket tournament in the remaining year imo.

Year 1: World T20
Year 2: Champions Trophy
Year 3: Double Wicket
Year 4: World Cup

The world needs more meme double wicket cricket

Spikey

Every 4 years, ICC to pioneer a double wicket tournament in the remaining year imo.

Year 1: World T20
Year 2: Champions Trophy
Year 3: Double Wicket
Year 4: World Cup

The world needs more meme double wicket cricket
can't wait for england to knocked out in the group stages