• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

hughes and johnson to lead the way

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
no it suggests what i think.see where i said "but i really think".
Yeah - where you said "but I really think if that happens the selectors would still back him for the next series" that hints that I was saying a) he was likely to have a poor Ashes (which I didn't) and b) that that was likely to cost him a place and thus he'd not have a good Test career (which I certainly didn't say).

cowboy up

Banned
To suggest Hughes is unlikely to have a Test future would be to make a suggestion that all evidence points in the other direction of; and I think he's much more likely than not to have Ashes success.

But anyone can have a bad series, any time.
i was talking about were you said "but anyone can have a bad series, any time"
if he did have a bad series witch im not saying either of us are,i think the selectors would still back him in the next series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes - and there wasn't really any need to say it, because you were essentially just repeating what I said. Only posting if you've got something new to add is a decent starting point.

cowboy up

Banned
Yes - and there wasn't really any need to say it, because you were essentially just repeating what I said. Only posting if you've got something new to add is a decent starting point.
yes there is because your trying to argue a point with me i didnt make. the point of my last post was to point out the fact i never said that you said that hughes would have a bad series and i wasnt repeating what you said because acording to you i did say that you said hughes would have a bad series.you are trying to argue with me richard over stuff i never said.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I'm tipping Johnson will be a slight disapointment with both bat and ball, still doing ok just not as amazingly as some seem to be expecting. I think Siddle will overshadow him and be the bowler of the series.

It's too unpredictable with Hughes, he's a great talent and his lead-up form is superb, but he does still have some obvious shortcomings in his game and he's also never really faced top-quality spin (unless you'd call Harris top drawer, and even he made Hughes look pretty unsure of himself at times in South Africa). That said if they bowl poorly to him (ie give him any width) he'll make runs for fun. I'd be equally unsuprised if Hughes scores 450+ runs or if he is a complete flop.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's too unpredictable with Hughes, he's a great talent and his lead-up form is superb, but he does still have some obvious shortcomings in his game and he's also never really faced top-quality spin (unless you'd call Harris top drawer, and even he made Hughes look pretty unsure of himself at times in South Africa). That said if they bowl poorly to him (ie give him any width) he'll make runs for fun. I'd be equally unsuprised if Hughes scores 450+ runs or if he is a complete flop.
In fairness, Hughes did score big runs in SA when the deck with spinning like a top with Harris making the ball pop outside off-stump. Was clearly uncomfortable but didn't give it away easily, either. I think that aspect of his game, rather than pure technique, is why people tip him for big things. Can spank the ball to all parts but can pare it back and put his ego in check if needed.

The guys just seems hungry for runs through any means necessary. Big plus, in my view.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
i have been really impressed by both hughes and johnson leading into the ashe's series.hughes has already proven himself in english condition's scoring over 800 run's for middlesex in his little stint over there and mitch took 4 for not many i think in a lead up match over there.i can smell a aussie onslaught coming on for the next few month's.there will be no open top bus and no honour's from the queen after this series:jawdrop::nopity::stretcher:cheers:
Worst call fair dinkum.