• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If South Africa beat India and make the World T20 final...

Sri Lanka vs. South Africa Final - Who is more likely to choke?

• Sri Lanka

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

YorksLanka

International Debutant
I've said it before, and I'l say it again... (because who doesn't love a chubby little SLA master?)

Herath

Also, very early days but you may come to appreciate Eranga one day, maybe.

And tbf Burgey's point stands, no amount of WC wins in the SC will change the fact that SL suck at tests, particularly overseas
yes we are not great in tests but who cares?i dont, i will take world cup wins in both formats over tests any day of the week.. as i said before, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if you dont like us, jog on and good luck to ya..

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty much, you can point out that we have a weakness in test cricket, but that's no reason to **** all over Sri Lanka as a cricket nation, especially given the LO achievements

Howe_zat

Audio File
There is no taste.

Noted subcontinental team playing at the top level for 30 years does well in the subcontinent, the only place it's ever done well. That's in no way inconsistent with what I wrote in my erudite and measured first post in this thread; namely, SL has done SFA outside it's comfort zone and should therefore be rightly rounded upon as a disappointment.

Let's be honest here, they've had Sanga and Aravinda as truly world class bats; Malinga is their only true quick, and their spinners are uselsss away from the SC. You'd back yourself to play every SL bowler save Murali and Malinga with a stick of celery. I'd add Vaas to the list too, provided there's an impending thunder storm overhead and he gets the ball to move half a centimetre sideways.

Wouldn't give you two bob for the rest. Harsh, but fair.
It's weird that you'd rate Malinga at all given that this argument is mostly about what they've done in the long format.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yes we are not great in tests but who cares?i dont, i will take world cup wins in both formats over tests any day of the week.. as i said before, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if you dont like us, jog on and good luck to ya..
It's not a dislike, it's more frustration.

And, as Maximas said, Herath. Especially the randomly freakish catches out of nowhere on the boundary.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon you're gonna have to go fishing for another species Burgey.......these Sri Lankans appear way too laid back to be getting upset by the likes of you.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I reckon you're gonna have to go fishing for another species Burgey.......these Sri Lankans appear way too laid back to be getting upset by the likes of you.
Check out the Indian and Pakistan politics threads. He's already moved on.

Jassy

Banned
I've said it before, and I'l say it again... (because who doesn't love a chubby little SLA master?)

Herath

Also, very early days but you may come to appreciate Eranga one day, maybe.

And tbf Burgey's point stands, no amount of WC wins in the SC will change the fact that SL suck at tests, particularly overseas
Just on the bolded part - how does it matter that it was in the subcontinent? That all 3 of Sri Lanka's ICC trophies (WC 1996, CT 2002 shared, World T20 2014) have come on the subcontinent has been doing the rounds ever since they won and quite frankly, even as someone who is not a SL fan, it is a little annoying. A major trophy win is a major trophy win, regardless of where it came. I can understand if someone says it isn't that important because of the format but the conditions shouldn't matter IMO.

Sri Lanka have been mediocre in tests; it isn't really that they've done well in SC and sucked away from it; they have just been mediocre overall. It's a bit of a myth that SL have been great in the SC and dire away from it; in tests they have actually had better results away in some cases. Good at home and mediocre away would be a more accurate assessment. They are yet to even win a test in India; whereas they have series wins in England and New Zealand and have won a test in South Africa.

India and Pakistan are pretty much the same in tests so unfair to single SL out IMO. If you take out minnows, they both have won less tests than they have lost. India are yet to win series in Australia and SA; Pakistan are yet to win in SA, Aus and West Indies. In LOIs too, SL have now overtaken Pakistan in terms of major trophies. They now have 3, Pakistan 2 and India 5(3 of which have come since 2007, the reason why Dhoni has been able to get away with shoddy test performances).

Burgey

It doesn't have to matter. If supporters and the team are happy with that, then fine. I'm coming at this from the persepctive of someone who wants to see them kick on when they tour here. If you take India as an example, when they used to tour here it was pretty ho hum. But once they beat Australia in India in 01, then backed that up with a drawn series here in 03-04, the rivalry really took off and their tours now are much anticipated because of that rivalry.

Much as we like to make fun of Tony Greig's "little Sri Lankans" comments, I would prefer to have them arrive here and feel a sense of trepidation that they'll knock us off. It'll happen one day, no doubt. I'm just getting a bit sick and tired of waiting for it.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
@Jassy, it doesn't really matter, I was just demonstrating that LO achievements really don't impact the opinion of people like Burgey who want to see test success, particularly overseas. But I wonder what he'd think if Sri Lanka won say the 2015 WC?

Burgey

I think it would be fantastic, and could well propel them onto success further afield.

Jassy

Banned
Yeah look I don't think Burgey rates the T20 cup at all which I'm totally okay with. I don't think he'd care even if they'd won the T20 cup in Australia or something.

I think you guys are pretty much on the money as far as Sri Lanka's overseas test results go. They clearly haven't been flash. Against Australia they've done little of note anywhere - just a solitary test win in their entire history if I am not wrong. Pakistan have been woeful too against Australia; something like one test win(circa the spot fixing saga) since 1995 or whatever it is. Tbh, as an Aus fan I'd probably be slightly more worried about facing SL than Pak although I'd probably back Aus to beat both of them, home and away.

Burgey

I think Australia will get towelled by Pakistan in the UAE tbh. They'll need Clarke and TPC to score ultra heavy if they are to combat Ajmal et al.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
He is as good if not better, but Pakistan have Rehman in support and Junaid too, then again SL have the batting.