• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

james anderson averages 35 with the kookaburra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neptune

State Vice-Captain
Shouldn't have voted this incompetent government in last year, then.

He shouldn't apologize. You should all be apologizing for yourselves. Who'd have thought standing outside and clapping of an evening wouldn't replace effective governance and policy? And you all fall for it in your millions. Pathetic. Still, you'll always have Rorke's Drift I suppose.
I’m not apologising for something I haven’t done ffs, I voted labour, I didn’t vote for this government, why would I apologise on behalf of others. But making jokes about us all dying is fine in your books yeah?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Compton was an HTB too. The only English cricketers worth respecting are Hobbs and Hutton. Grace was a cheat. You have been tricked into thinking highly about the rest because of biased English writers having a monopoly on cricket journalism.
Probably got more to do with some of the lesser cricketing nations lacking fans who can read tbh

Burgey

I’m not apologising for something I haven’t done ffs, I voted labour, I didn’t vote for this government, why would I apologise on behalf of others. But making jokes about us all dying is fine in your books yeah?
At the end of the day it’s a stupid sensitivity tbh. This is the country whose fans chant about world wars. Fmd there were dingo jokes within a week of Azaria chamberlain being taken. You wouldn't GAF id it was a joke about Somalians starving would you?

Good on you for voting labour btw. Sensible choice.

Shady Slim

International Coach
jimmy is an all time very good arguably all time great swing bowler and for a tour of england current xi you’d pick a fully fit anderson to be in your team a hundred times out of ninety nine

however, it’s also the case that compared to the heights he reaches in england (and despite having a few good performances overseas as have been already noted by this thread), overall he’s got a pretty ****** record in non favourable conditions taken as a whole. what sticks out really like a sore thumb is his horrid average in australia and especially at perth and brisbane, because english and australian cricketers are judged especially for their ashes performances above tours of other countries

now

his longevity is amazing and should be applauded and you can’t take 600 wickets as a fast bowler without being a top athlete - but he’s always going to have the black marks on his name on account of his ashes performances in australia, whereas you’d say the truly great ashes players strike the fear in to the hearts of the opposition regardless of the conditions. it’s what sets a steve smith apart from a dave warner and what sets a pat cummins away from a james anderson

Bijed

International Regular
I would basically rate him as a great player (the criticisms levelled at him are fair, but his home record is outstanding, plus it's not like his away record (including 'neutral' just to be clear) is horrible, just a bit meh) whose career is an ATG one by virtue of this plus his incredible longevity.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anderson
Alderman
Bedser

Three quicks who were godlike in England and very ordinary abroad (by comparison).

Burgey

How’s the concentration over-bite there? Could chew an apple through a tennis racquet. Have never noticed that when he bowls (probably because he looks at the ground near his feet).

Neptune

State Vice-Captain
At the end of the day it’s a stupid sensitivity tbh. This is the country whose fans chant about world wars. Fmd there were dingo jokes within a week of Azaria chamberlain being taken. You wouldn't GAF id it was a joke about Somalians starving would you?

Good on you for voting labour btw. Sensible choice.
It’s not a stupid sensitivity at all. I get the coronavirus has barely done anything in Australia but over here it’s caused such pain and hardship on families, people aren’t even able to see their family members when they die. It’s absolutely terrible. I get Flem wasn’t trying to be nasty or anything, but imagine seeing a comment like that when they’ve just lost a close family member or friend. Far too soon. Also, blaming the number of deaths on the people who voted conservative in the last generally election is staggeringly moronic, people had no idea this virus was coming in December, don’t even go there. I don’t condone the behaviour of a minority who sing songs about world wars or joke about missing babies, because that’s ******. I actually would GAF if someone made a joke about starving somalians, and I hope others would too, would you not GAF?

Daemon

Yeah I tend to agree, it makes little sense to say you deserve it to people from a community that is currently suffering, simply because some of them were successfully duped.

Nothing to be terribly outraged over but my personal opinion is that it isn't a nice thing to say. Same goes with what Flem said.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
How soon we forget too when Australia was on fire earlier this year the love and support that came from the Motherland.

Jeremy Clarkson made some appalling comments (presumably in an attempt at humour) and he was quite rightly criticised from all quarters for them.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thing is, Australians, Kiwis, Chinese or Hong Kongians really can't joke about covid without it being in poor taste (at best). If someone from the UK who had lost their parents started joking about covid, that would be fine because they're doing it to in part cope with the situation.

Context is everything with this kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.