• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root captaincy thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Carberry was England's second best bat behind Pietersen. Averaged in the 30s IIRC (edit: 28.1), opening the batting against 2013/14 Mitchell Johnson. Having watched both series I can tell you that Carberry in 2013/14 ****s all over Burns in 2019. And if we're talking about openers with mental toughness it's hard to beat Carberry that series.

I'm not saying this to talk down Burns, as I said he's one of the first picked at this stage. Just pointing out that the reason for that is more because of how bad the rest have been, and that Carberry was canned having been just as good, or better.
Having also watched both series I can tell you that you're wrong

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Having also watched both series I can tell you that you're wrong
That should pretty much be the default position with Brah and cricket. If you ever think he's right, have another think and then decide he's wrong.

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
I have more faith in my judgement than yours, funnily enough. But I do appreciate the input
Mate, Australia bowled incredible this series..more so with the new ball. Burns averaging that much is almost mind-numbing considering his test average coming into the series. Hazlewood and Cummins were unplayable at times with the new ball, in fact it might be the best bowling I've seen in general from Australia in a series in England ever their seamers were really that good. Carberry shouldn't have been dropped after that series, but that isn't a reason to slate Burns he did well. I suspect Carberry stuck up for, and got along with, KP resulting in both getting dropped. I suspect Tremlett was in the same boat.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mate, Australia bowled incredible this series..more so with the new ball. Burns averaging that much is almost mind-numbing considering his test average coming into the series. Hazlewood and Cummins were unplayable at times with the new ball, in fact it might be the best bowling I've seen in general from Australia in a series in England ever their seamers were really that good. Carberry shouldn't have been dropped after that series, but that isn't a reason to slate Burns he did well. I suspect Carberry stuck up for, and got along with, KP resulting in both getting dropped. I suspect Tremlett was in the same boat.
I specifically stated multiple times that I wasn't slating Burns. I also specifically said that he should be one of the first picked in the side for the next series. My point was that I wouldn't be locking him in for a long term position based purely on this series.

Flem274*

123/5
england should drop burns because 5 years ago carberry was solid against mitchell johnson and also got dropped.

Jack1

International Debutant
I specifically stated multiple times that I wasn't slating Burns. I also specifically said that he should be one of the first picked in the side for the next series. My point was that I wouldn't be locking him in for a long term position based purely on this series.
It was more the Carberry ****ting all over Burns comment. To be fair the only reason he's a lock in - the cupboard is completely bare. So he has to be.

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
You could say that about his entire England career . Carberry was on the margins of selection for bloody years ...getting leapfrogged by Kolpakers for a chance that was rightfully his. From memory it seemed like he was always in the Lions and development programs .

Not unusual though in English cricket . Up at Durham Chris Rushworth has been kicking arse and taking names for a lot of years . Apart from a couple of sniffs , England have never even given him a little go .Now he's too old for England but he's still taking hatfulls of wickets. A lot of perfectly good talent gets wasted here .

England would bite your hand off for a young Carberry right now :) .

Bijed

International Regular
Completely agree he shouldn't have been dropped after 13/14, but tbf I suppose at that point we probably felt we had a bit of a pool promising/developing options and, at only 1 and bit years into the post-strauss wheel, hadn't realised yet that a gutsy opener averaging in the high 20s was pretty much our ceiling, even against lesser bowling.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Carberry had a blood clot that basically ended his career didnt he?
No that was before The Ashes series and he was on medication. I don’t think the original point was necessarily about Carberry. It was more about one good series not ensuring long term selection in the case of Burns. Carberry ****ing all over Burns was a follow up that was a slight exaggeration, but Carberry did enough amongst the batting carnage of that series to merit a place the following summer. But he never played again for whatever reason.

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
Blood clots during and apparently cancer at the end . Poor sod didn't have a lot of luck outside the game either :(