• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root captaincy thread

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The poms must really hate Smith, from the pressers I've seen. They only ever say things along the lines of "he's in great form at the moment" and not admitting that he's just much better at cricket than any of them.

Burgey

There’s probably someone in the 400 strong entourage that goes with teams these days who’s tasked with working out what you can or cannot say publicly, to give you a “real mental edge over your opponent.” ****ing woeful

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Yeah, wouldn't hurt for modern cricketers to actually behave like awestruck fans once in a while. Gamesmanship is fine to an extent but he's whipping you anyway so why not give in to your inner nerd? Would help humanize some of these personality vacuums.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The poms must really hate Smith, from the pressers I've seen. They only ever say things along the lines of "he's in great form at the moment" and not admitting that he's just much better at cricket than any of them.
I'm not sure what you'd expect them to say really. Obviously your last point is the truth of the matter, but if they say that in public there's no point in playing against him and we may as well concede the next few Ashes series and stop wasting everyone's time.

My problem is that they don't actually think they can get him out once he's passed 20 or so. The body language and whole feel of the side is just lousy, and that has a lot to do with the leadership. Maybe Smith will continue to average 150 in every series for the rest of his career, but I suspect he won't against sides with better bowlers and a better attitude. He'll still do fine of course, but not to the extent that we've seen this summer.

Daemon

Anderson should come back to the team as captain. Will be quite deserving too as he has been a great servant for English cricket.
Dunno about this. Anderson’s probably the biggest **** in the team, which may just turn out to be what the side needs.

Obviously he needs to be on the park first tho.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Root certainly doesn't give the impression of enjoying the captaincy - Stokes will get the job pretty soon, but I'd like to see Broad have a tilt at it first

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Both this thread and the Paine thread are incorrectly named. Because Tim Paine hasn't failed and Joe Root hasn't captained (to a passable standard).

TheJediBrah

that's why they call him stephen the triggerer

Root seems to say things like this -- "oh well if not for..." -- an awful lot I find
Toxic influence of guys like Anderson, Broad, Prior and Swann living on. It's always someone else's fault.

vcs

They need to take it off him just so that he can go back to batting as he used to.

Jack1

International Debutant
Captain could be Burns. He's experienced at it with Surrey. Root may make more runs if he doesn't have to think about captaincy or vice. Vice could possibly be Foakes with gloves for the right vice captaincy fit. Denly, Roy in particular aren't good enough for the side which gives leeway to pick Foakes as keeper plus Bairstow. If they are really desperate they can get Buttler in there too.

E.g.

1. Burns (c)
2. Sibley
3. Root
4. Stokes
5. Bairstow
6. Buttler
7. Foakes (wk)(vc)
8. Archer
9. Leach
10. Broad
11. Anderson

It's an option at least. Gives you YJB in the field, who is a gun in the field. Buttler is the real question mark. There's an argument for batting Ballance 3 and sliding 3-5 down one spot. Meaning Buttler dropped. It's a conundrum. I do feel however that the only viable alternative to Root is Burns as test captain. Burns bats better with the captaincy, Root bats worse with it. Long term Sibley comes in for Denly. They waited too long to pick Burns, he could have 25 tests or so under his belt by now. England's selectors can be strange at times.

TheJediBrah

Captain could be Burns. He's experienced at it with Surrey. Root may make more runs if he doesn't have to think about captaincy or vice. Vice could possibly be Foakes with gloves for the right vice captaincy fit. Denly, Roy in particular aren't good enough for the side which gives leeway to pick Foakes as keeper plus Bairstow. If they are really desperate they can get Buttler in there too.

E.g.

1. Burns (c)
2. Sibley
3. Root
4. Stokes
5. Bairstow
6. Buttler
7. Foakes (wk)(vc)
8. Archer
9. Leach
10. Broad
11. Anderson

It's an option at least. Gives you YJB in the field, who is a gun in the field. Buttler is the real question mark. There's an argument for batting Ballance 3 and sliding 3-5 down one spot. Meaning Buttler dropped. It's a conundrum. I do feel however that the only viable alternative to Root is Burns as test captain. Burns bats better with the captaincy, Root bats worse with it. Long term Sibley comes in for Denly. They waited too long to pick Burns, he could have 25 tests or so under his belt by now. England's selectors can be strange at times.
ok but is YJB good enough to play as a Test batsman? Not by this series' evidence

Jack1

International Debutant
ok but is YJB good enough to play as a Test batsman? Not by this series' evidence
Pope is probably the best option to replace him long term. I didn't want to make too many changes at once and leave Root too much out to dry. Keeping YJB in there was giving Root a bit of a safety blanket as mad as that sounds. YJB is a gun fielder so I was hoping he would support the bowling attack well. Pope instead of Bairstow is ok. I quite like Bairstow's volatile personality. It probably spurs the team on on and off the field. Without being around the group I can't be sure of that. Numbers wise Pope should play instead. Slot Pope in there long term and the team looks strong to me. If it gets the chance to grow.