• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Man Of The Tournament - Wc 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Agreed. Now does anyone want to argue that Sachin is not worthy of PLAYER (;)) of the Tournament?
Well...there are 2 more matches left to play. There are a lot of serious contenders still left in the fray, like Tendulkar, Vaas, Bichel, Bevan, even DeSilva, Srinath.....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
anilramavarma said:
a_b, I have been at pains to explain this point as clearly and succinctly as I can, but Marc, Neil and Rik just refuse to take it up. They come up with statements like Olonga is a much bigger "man", life is more important than cricket,
And you're denying that?

If this were, as more commonly used, a player of the Tournament, then there'd be no problem, but for me, and doubtless others, the real man of the Tournament will be remembered for far longer than the best player.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Best way to sort this out is a duel - custard pies at ten paces. Unfortunately, we live in different parts of the world so that's a non-starter.

I daresay we'll have a poll at the end of the tournament - job done.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Agreed. Now does anyone want to argue that Sachin is not worthy of PLAYER (;)) of the Tournament?
Yes because there are several bowlers who are close to beating the record number of wickets taken in a WC...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
And you're denying that?

If this were, as more commonly used, a player of the Tournament, then there'd be no problem, but for me, and doubtless others, the real man of the Tournament will be remembered for far longer than the best player.
Now, you are pulling me back into it. Who says I deny that? If you want to know my opinion on the relative importance of life and cricket, you can check back to my previous posts. I have been reiterating my points for ever and I just don't want to type everything again.

Player of the tournament, Man of the tournament.....you are just quibbling with words. Both point to the best player in the tournament, not the bravest, not the handsomest, not even the smartest, but the best. Ya get that? If you don't get it by now, you are never gonna get it. I am done with this argument, as Neil said, it's pointless and while I try to appreciate and put in perspective what you post, you just keep on repeating your statement in the most monotonous way whatever I post.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Geez, Marc and Rik why don't you BOTH grow a pair and stop trying to hijack what is obviously a thread about the players of the tournament, not the man of the tournament. If you're not talking about Olonga and Flower in terms of their performances in the cup, you ain't talking about what the thread is about.

You want to pay tribute to the brave actions of Olonga and Flower, go ahead. By my guest. But not in this thread. Continue along those lines and it's closed.

Don't troll a thread just because you're both feeling argumentative. You know what Anil means and these straw-man fallacies you keep using on his arguments to twist his words make you both look really stupid, not to mention like a couple of arrogant tossers. So leave him alone. Anil gets what you mean, I sure do and so does everyone else. If you keep hitting someone over the head with something, they get sore, okay? WE ALL GET IT. Now either start your own damn thread or just keep thy traps shut because you're wrecking this one.

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
Geez, Marc and Rik why don't you BOTH grow a pair and stop trying to hijack what is obviously a thread about the players of the tournament, not the man of the tournament. If you're not talking about Olonga and Flower in terms of their performances in the cup, you ain't talking about what the thread is about.

You want to pay tribute to the brave actions of Olonga and Flower, go ahead. By my guest. But not in this thread. Continue along those lines and it's closed.

Don't troll a thread just because you're both feeling argumentative. You know what Anil means and these straw-man fallacies you keep using on his arguments to twist his words make you both look really stupid, not to mention like a couple of arrogant tossers. So leave him alone. Anil gets what you mean, I sure do and so does everyone else. If you keep hitting someone over the head with something, they get sore, okay? WE ALL GET IT. Now either start your own damn thread or just keep thy traps shut because you're wrecking this one.
Corey, right, why don't YOU leave an arguement alone which has reached a dead end? Just leave it alone man, it's done. Close the thread if you like, just don't blame me because I finished talking about this a page ago.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey Corey, they've allowed images again, time to show off that funky Closed Thread sign again...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Check the Off Topis Section. My new thread is in memory of you.....dedicated to and centred around me however:D .

krkode

State Captain
Well this page pretty much sums it up:

http://www-usa.cricket.org/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2003/MAR/158225_ICC_17MAR2003.html

Sachin Tendulkar (Ind) 12
Marvan Atapattu (SL) 8
Chaminda Vaas (SL) 8
Sourav Ganguly (Ind) 7
Wasim Akram (Pak) 6
James Anderson (Eng) 6
John Davison (Can) 6
Sanath Jayasuriya (SL) 6
Andy Bichel (Aus) 5
Andy Blignaut (Zim) 5
Vasbert Drakes (WI) 5
Herschelle Gibbs (SA) 5
Lance Klusener (SA) 5
Brett Lee (Aus) 5
Thomas Odoyo (Ken) 5
Ricky Ponting (Aus) 5
Heath Streak (Zim) 5
Ganguly!! Surprise surprise!:wow:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
"Yes because there are several bowlers who are close to beating the record number of wickets taken in a WC..."

Suggesting that it's a bowlers' WC and Sachin's achievement's better.

Anyway, Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.