• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Man of the tournament?

Who is your pick for Man of the Tournament?

• David Warner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mitchell Starc

• Jasprit Bumrah

• Lockie Ferguson

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bizarre. They mentioned fair play and leadership, was his captaincy that big a factor?

Howe_zat

Audio File
I was alright with it. I had KW in my team of the tournament for his captaincy and batting. Yeah he scored fewer runs than Shakib but you'd take Williamson's fifty against India over Shakib's hundred against England any day.

Daemon

Shakib just unlucky he’s from a side that’s not very good I suppose. Otherwise more of his innings would be match winning.

Anyways, couldn’t have gone to a better bloke and he did lead well so I’m not really upset.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was alright with it. I had KW in my team of the tournament for his captaincy and batting. Yeah he scored fewer runs than Shakib but you'd take Williamson's fifty against India over Shakib's hundred against England any day.
Yeah I did too but that puts him on a shortlist of eleven, and he was one of the last players I picked in it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It’s the ultimate slap in the face to Kane as well. Didn’t win the tournament, didn’t score the most runs, didn’t hit the most hundreds. Given a consolation prize.

Naarn

Cricket Spectator
Wow. Speechless.

Kane's last 5 innings in the world cup: 41, 40, 27, 67, 30. And NZ lost 4 of those 5 games.

Great captaincy and sportsmanship though. Please...

If they felt they really needed to give it someone who actually played in the final, give it to Stokes. 465 runs and 7 wickets is a bloody good tournament. Not in the Shakib league, but the guy pretty much single-handedly won the world cup. I would have been comfortable with Stokes winning it, but let's face it - Kane has won it for being a nice bloke.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Shakib was under pressure every match and he delivered, both with bat and ball. It should absolutely have gone to him. Totally not fair on him at all. He was a nice bloke as well. I don't understand at all on how Kane won over him.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Shakib was under pressure every match and he delivered, both with bat and ball. It should absolutely have gone to him. Totally not fair on him at all. He was a nice bloke as well. I don't understand at all on how Kane won over him.
More boundaries in the final IIRC.

Howsie

International Captain
And Williamson wasn’t?

Without Williamson NZ don’t sniff the semis. Yeah, New Zealand are a better team but even so our bowling attack needs something to bowl at, they’re not complete miracle workers.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Wow. Speechless.

Kane's last 5 innings in the world cup: 41, 40, 27, 67, 30. And NZ lost 4 of those 5 games.
It’s worth remembering that all pf those games save the England group game were low scoring matches so averaging 40+ is still pretty excellent.

Having said that, it does kinda feel like the decision makers were like “We can’t send NZ home with nothing after THAT. Let’s give Kane player of the tournament.”

Burgey

KW certainly deserved to be in the top two or three. Al Hasan was great but really had no pressure on him because he was basically in a minnow side which was never making the finals. England sort of shared their heroics around. Stokes was probably their strongest shot at it, but the ICC know he's a violent thug so doesn't deserve it. Roy missed a few games and should have been suspended for the final anyway. Archer was good but not good enough. Root flopped when it mattered in the final, as he basically always does. Sharma and Bumrah tanked in the semis and did nothing, likewise What's Your Emergency, Starc and Warner.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don’t agree with Kane as MOTS. Has an asterisk next to it. As far as I’m concerned Stokes was MOTS