• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Medal Tally

PY

International Coach
Ooooh someone's uptight today. :laugh:

Still smarting over the beating the McGee took. :p

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Didn't even see it TBH :P was watching Australia vs Iraq football on the other channel.

Your still crying about David Davies getting beat, and that Womans 4000m individual pursuit cyclist being lapped by our Aussie girl.

Or is it that your cranky cause your 4x100m Medaly team got disqualified?

Not sure, but feel free to help me out there :P

PY

International Coach
Ah but we weren't supposed to win any of those ones. The Aussies were favourites in all of them but your guy was a world champ. :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Norway 1-0-0
Sweden 1-0-1 (grunt)
Denmark 0-0-3

We'll be on top of the Nordic standings tomorrow :D
<quack> Is that when the Olympic fishing, fish-eating and fish-throwing contests take place?

Stop baiting Samuel_Vimes, DD

<quack> Bait - very good, LE

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Is this the place to mention Australia 0-1 Iraq?!
That WAS a surprise.

You could understand it if it were one of the more established footy-playing nations like Argentina or Germany

<quack> or the Solomon Islands

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
luckyeddie said:
<quack> Is that when the Olympic fishing, fish-eating and fish-throwing contests take place?

Stop baiting Samuel_Vimes, DD

<quack> Bait - very good, LE
Nah, GBR will take that - I heard they have three competitors from Grimsby...

Craig

World Traveller
Just want to know this, if a competitior from Wales wins Gold, do they play "God Save the Queen" or "Land Of Our Fathers"?

PY

International Coach
For all competitors who represent GB, it is 'God Save The Queen' (oh how it wish they would play the *** Pistols version just once :D).

In the Europeans (I think), they compete as separate countries and use their own national anthems. I'm not even sure that 'God Save The Queen' is used to for England which is quite worrying because I really should know that.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
No, that's the Commonwealths that we compete as England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney...

I *think* Land of Hope and Glory is used in the Commonwealths for England.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Just want to know this, if a competitior from Wales wins Gold, do they play "God Save the Queen" or "Land Of Our Fathers"?
<quack>

Same as when New Zealanders win golds - "God save the sheep"

I am going to say something now which will change how you look on the Dutch for ever.

Whenever you hear the Dutch national anthem being played, you are forever cursed to hear the following song going around in your head....

"And a partridge in a pear tree"

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
No, that's the Commonwealths that we compete as England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney...

Correct - sung to the tune of "We hate Nottingham Forest".

I like the Commonwealth Games - and the 'Last Night of the Proms'.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not such a good day, Samuel_Vimes, eh?

Sweden winning the triple jump over boxes of fish and looking like winning the high jump over boxes of fish too.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Looking like? Holm won it two hours ago...

*goes to claim Swedish passport thanks to his great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great...-great-grandad from Piteå*

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Looking like? Holm won it two hours ago...

*goes to claim Swedish passport thanks to his great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great...-great-grandad from Piteå*
I feel a saga coming on...

Samuel the Vimes, son of Eric the Blue (so named because of his habit of falling in the fjord), son of Ingrid the Ambiguous, son of Greta the not so Ambiguous who always carried a mattress in case she met a friend, first cousin of Olaf the Swede, very good friend (but not THAT good a friend) of Umbert the Broccoli who looked a little like Sven the FA Secretary-Humper, son of Tomas the Border Crosser, owner of Rex the Border Collie....

Yup. Your story checks out.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:

So how come in the Olympics you lot compete as one, but at the Common Wealth Games you compete seperatly?