• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Men's Hockey thread

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Australia are my tip for gold .....I will be surprised if Spain don't win a medal. Very classy side with Tubau, Freixia, Alegre and coached by the arguably the best coach in the world in Maurit Hendriks.

One of Holland or Germany should grab that third medal spot. New Zealand are dark horses but they rely very heavily on Ryan ARchibald in midfield.
Great Britain are another team who could surprise.

David

International 12th Man
Really hoping the Kookaburra's can come through and win the gold. Will be attempting to watch everything televised. Wish Hockey got televised over here..

Beleg

International Regular
Bloody hell, Pakistan loses to freakin' Great Britain.

Shouldn't be playing field hockey anymore.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Nice second half comeback from NZ to knock over the South Koreans 3-1. Hayden Shaw again dangerous from the penalty corners - picked up a hatrick.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
How good are Pakistan nowadays, then?

Win's a win, any road.
Pretty good, ranked 5th in the world from memory. Kind of like their cricket team though, they can be pretty awful on a particular day. Still, thats a big result for GB, if you can sneak a draw against Australia or the Netherlands you'd be likely to qualify - I'd expect Pakistan to have a better chance of beating one of those two than your lot, so a draw might be enough.

Anyway, excellent second half by NZ last night. Were pretty crap in the first, though we managed a couple of shots, but we dominated the second half. Should have been 4-1, but Shea McAleese made a meal of an open goal.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh:

Handy 10-0 win for the Kookaburras over South Africa.
It's fine for them to graft out these tough wins over competitive teams, but I think it's also important to try to put a few more goals on the board in case it comes down to goal difference.

Beleg

International Regular
haha, Germany draws with Belgium. this almost eclipses Pakistani woefulness. (we beat canada 3 - 1).

Salamuddin

International Debutant
haha, Germany draws with Belgium. this almost eclipses Pakistani woefulness. (we beat canada 3 - 1).
That wasn't such a huge surprise IMO. Belgium are arguably the most improved side in world hockey under their Aussie coach Adam Commens and did defeat the Germans at teh Manchester olympic qualifiers last year.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Pretty good, ranked 5th in the world from memory. - I'd expect Pakistan to have a better chance of beating one of those two than your lot, so a draw might be enough.

Pakistan's ranking probably flatters them a bit tbh.....ever since they lost Sohail Abbas they have looked far more beatable. Muhammad Imran and Imran Warsi have not quite been able to fill Sohail's shoes.

They still have some talented players like Rehant Butt but tbh they are not a patch on Shhabaz's team of 1994 - probably the last truly strong Pakistan side on the world stage.

Beleg

International Regular
They still have some talented players like Rehant Butt but tbh they are not a patch on Shhabaz's team of 1994 - probably the last truly strong Pakistan side on the world stage.
Hmm, I'd say the 1998 side which lost to an extremely strong Dutch side in the 1998 champions trophy was pretty sweet as well.

But in general Pakistani hockey has been on a huge downwards turn during the last decade. I would never in a million years have expected the result against GB in 1998. It doesn't really surprise me today. After Sohail Abbas and Atif Bashir (way back when), we haven't produced a world class player.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Hmm, I'd say the 1998 side which lost to an extremely strong Dutch side in the 1998 champions trophy was pretty sweet as well.

But in general Pakistani hockey has been on a huge downwards turn during the last decade. I would never in a million years have expected the result against GB in 1998. It doesn't really surprise me today. After Sohail Abbas and Atif Bashir (way back when), we haven't produced a world class player.

That's a tad harsh on Rehan Butt and Shakeel Abbasi both of whom are very fine players. Whatever happened to Kashif Jawwad btw ?
Pakistan's problem is much the same as India's - their coaching and admin are light years behind those of other countries.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For those that know their hockey, are you able to tell me what significance the dotted semi-circle holds in front of each goal?

Kookaburras vs Netherlands has been great to watch so far. Especially seeing as we're leading :p