• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mullet Goes West

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Saturday 13th November 2004
1st Entry

After the little controversy with the Pirates in T&T, I walked in the clubrooms of the WACA early this morning and was greeted by Wayne Clark (Coach) and Dennis Lillee (President). They soon showed me around the grounds, and handed me my free drinks card for the Bradman Bar, which I'm sure will come in handy. I met up with a couple of the boys in the nets before official training started, the 2 blokes were Luke Ronchi and Sudeep Popat. I thought I recognised Sudeep from Dev League, but I wasn't too sure, must of been some junk rookie who'd been called up to play in place of the CW XI players leaving. Ronchi was a handy batter, and Sudeep was having a bit of a bowl to him, talk about pies! Ronchi was giving the pies thrown up by Sudeep the typical West Aussie treatment and putting them straight back over the bowlers head with no hesitation.

After watching the humiliation of Sudeep I made my way across to the bowling machine and padded up, had a bit of a hit (technically, miss), Felt alright, I was swinging the bat with some awsome speed, and the whoosh of the ball passing willow was sounding sweet as ever. So sweet was the sound that a few of the blokes actually turned and gave me a smile and a big thumbs up, Wow, am I in or what! After a few sweet edges through slip I thought it was enough practice for one day and decided not to spoil my talent with the willow. First game was later today, had to get some rest after my trip.

Last edited:

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Saturday 13th November 2004
2nd Entry

'Twas the first game of the season today, with us taking on Tasmania at home. I heard that Kyle Wright was a certain starter for Tasmania, which was good because it meant I got to face off against my Reds bowling partner.

Bad news came early, Steve Magoffin would miss the match, as he pulled up sore from a big night last night, Local Midland/Guilford player Peter Worthington was called upon to replace Magoffin at late notice. Another team selection issue which was no surprise at all, Mr Popat was left out of the starting XII and consequently had to play for PErth CC alongside his best mate, Luke Ronchi. Brad Hogg replaced Popat, as there was simply no chance of taking 2 spinners onto the WACA wicket. Sudeep was shattered, but at the same time, delighted he could play alongside Ronchi in a club game where he took 2/25 and hit a respectable 34*. Rest of the team was as planned, with Gilchrist taking gloves, Meuleman and Marsh making way for Langer and Martyn.

Our captain Michael Hussey lost the toss however this didn't hurt us as Tasmania decided to have a bat, which is suicidal on the WACA wicket. To kick off proceedings young gun David Dawson strided to the crease, only to quickly dissappear after 7 runs, lofting one straight to mid wicket where Hoggy was waiting. Bevan joined Cox, and also departed cheaply, scoring 4 before edging one behind to Gilchrist. 2/45 turned into 3/55 when DiVenuto was trapped in front for 5. Cox stuck around down his end, and top scored with 80, he was joined by Daniel Marsh who made a solid 65*. Tasmania all out for 285, with late inclusion Peter Worthington taking 4/66. Other noteable performances were Darren Wates - 3/33. Hoggy didn't bowl much and finished with 1/42.

We went in to bat fairly confident, with Marto Langer and Gilly all back from international duty. However they got an early breakthrough with Langer dismissed for 15. Goodwin and Hussey put a few on together, before Goodwin gave Kyle Wright his first wicket in the Pura Competition. Martyn didn't trouble the selectors. A wicket later: Enter AD Gilchrist. He made 168, Hussey down the other end hit a captains knock of 179. Hoggy also got a a nice 64, which brought us to 7/542 declared. Solid showing from our batting.

We got what we wanted, an early wicket, when I skittled Cox for 11. Score was 1/13. In a huge turn around, Dawson and Bevan put on 216 together, both hitting centuries. Only other resistance in the Tasmanian batting lineup was Michael Dighton scoring 95*. No chance of a result in the 4D game, and the match was drawn with Tasmania 6/488.

After the game, we had a team meeting and discussed the performance. Hussey let us know he will be unable to continue captaincy due to personal problems. Naturally I put my hand up, and got a solid vote from the boys. New WA captain, D.J Watt.

Next game is at the SCG and I have a gut feeling that we will be playing Popat and Hogg in tandem on the turning SCG wicket.

Also I believe Mr Popat is running his own Diary, this is sure to get the player rivalry going, however until he or Ronchi actually get named in a starting XI for us, I think he should keep the trash talking down a bit :p

Retravision Player Points (Game vs Tasmania FC)
5 Points - Adam Gilchrist
4 Points - Michael Hussey
3 Points - Brad Hogg
2 Points - Murray Goodwin
1 Point - Darren Wates

Last edited:

Sudeep

International Captain
Cricket Web said:
Unfortunately Sudeep Popat did not play, but rather took 12th man duties as the powers that be at Western Australia opted for the experience of Brad Hogg.
Watt said:
Mr Popat was left out of the starting XII and consequently had to play for PErth CC alongside his best mate, Luke Ronchi.
Jet lag?

Imagining club cricket matches... :wacko:

ash chaulk

International Captain
Dave do u know how jelous i am that u get to play for WA but.... my temporary home with 50cent in New York is just as good :P

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Thanks, the little good feedback I get helps. Some people just don't appriciate the effort that others go to, when they dont even have a diary of their own. *cough* Markus */end cough*

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
hahah i'd write a diary. IN fact Puffin Books (ur publisher) asked me first but I declined. There's diary overkill right now and I'll just help superkingdave with some cameo writing. I'm just voicing the opinions of Prince Town people.

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Sunday 14th November 2004
3rd Entry

Day off today, no cricket to worry about. However I have a fair few other things on my mind. The hotel I am staying at here in Sydney has recieved many anonymous phone calls from Trinidad and Tobago, word has it the West Indian drug lords arn't happy with my decision to leave the Pirates, and trouble is brewing over there. Reds teammate Ian Markus has been heckled at the local Deli just trying to buy his usual double beef pie, I fear for Fatty, if his basic food needs arn't met, he can become rather agressive, and tends to lash out - I know from Prior experience when he was denied thirds at the end of season dinner a few months ago! This tension wasnt helped at all by the lacklustre performance from DP Richards and CM Broadbent, who managed game stats of: 25-7-96-2, and 8 runs between them in 3 innings. We shall see how things pan out over there, luckilly I can hide behind the safety of Australian borders.

Today after the plane flight across to Sydney, there was a mixup at the Hyatt Hotel in Sydney. I ended up getting put with Sudeep Popat, what a dissapointment that was to me. We are 2 very different characters - Sudeep can't bat, I can. Sudeep bowls pies, I eat pies. However, this could be the start of a great partnership, I'm sure he has alot to learn from me regarding batting, and I think I could learn how to bowl pies as good as him. Time shall tell I guess. Sudeep rattled something off in Hindi about going to see his mate Aldex Feeney in Woolgoolga or something, I couldn't quite get the translation, but it looks like I'll have time alone to sit down and work out the starting XI for the match against NSW.

Slats4ever

It's good to read your diaries via the net even though i'm in the windies.

hahaha that's more like it... i can see you rooming with some guy who rattles something off in Hindi. haha so now you're alone are you? I wonder what's going on...
next time he goes u should follow him and see what adventures he gets up to...

ps why are the drug lords worried about you?

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Drug Lords arn't happy because they invest big $$$ in West Indian Cricket, and they don't like their players betraying them and venturing off to other clubs days before the first game.

Or so I'm told.

Slats4ever

**** hey. i had dinner the other night with a few guys who called themeselves gus, john and angry roger.... they were wearing suits and were a bit weird. they got me heaps drunk to and were asking me all these questions....

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Monday 15th November 2004
4th Entry

Talk about leading the team by example, recently promoted captain, myself, got Man of the Match honours from a stellar display against the hapless NSW. Anyway Sudeep covered that match in depth, so no need to post a match report here. However I believe Sudeep needs to get back in touch with the team, constantly calling poor Scott Meuleman - Fuelman. I understand Scotty is getting rather upset about it, given his prior history of Arson. Apart from that Popat's 68 was a great lower order innings, I believe the batting tips I gave him the night before really helped him out, I wish him all the best for his batting, and have offered to be his personal batting coach. He mumbled something in Hindi and walked off. I think I am onto a winner there.

Anyway, I apologise about the lack of entries recently, however after we caught the early flight home, I found myself the next morning in the East Perth lockup, where dear Mr Popat was bailing me out. God knows how I ended up there, Popat seems to think I was wandering the streets all night in search of a flight attendant? Bah, tis all just rumours. The next morning I had to face a team inquiry about the Balcony incident, however it was all a misunderstanding, well, I never meant to do it on purpose... I swear!

Only a short entry now, Must get back to my Penthouse Suite @ the Hyatt and do some relaxing prior to the first 1Der against Tasmania.

Retravision Player Points (Game vs NSW - FC)
5 Points - DJ Watt
4 Points - PC Worthington
3 Points - SE Marsh
2 Points - SC Popat
1 Point - L Ronchi

Overall Standings after 2 Games:

5 Points - Adam Gilchrist, Dave Watt
4 Points - Michael Hussey, Peter Worthington
3 Points - Brad Hogg, Shaun Marsh
2 Points - Murray Goodwin, Sudeep Popat
1 Point - Luke Ronchi, Darren Wates

Popat catches up to his arch rival, Brad Hogg, should be a interesting battle. Ronchi gets his first point for 7 catches in the match.

Until next time.

Dave

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Monday 15th November 2004
5th Entry

First 1D game of the season happened to be a Day Nighter @ the WACA verse Tasmania. This gives me a chance to face Kyle Wright, my fellow Reds bowler again. Chosing the XI Was a tough call, after the unfortunate injury to Luke Ronchi, meant Ryan Campbell had to take the gloves. David Edgar the team physio says the injury should only be a minor one at this stage, lasting 1-2 weeks, but nothing is confirmed 100%. Ervine came in for his first game of the season, and I decided to go with Brad Hogg and Sudeep Popat on the WACA pitch, to battle it out for who gets top spot.

Tassie won the toss and decided to have a bowl, Scotty Meuleman and Marcus Noth headed out to face Kyle Wright and Luke butterworth (insert laughter here). Both failed dismally, we were 2/6 with young bloke Adam Voges and the vice captain Mike Hussey at the crease, the 2 put on 101 for the 3rd wicket, before Hussey tryed tonking away at one and played on for 41. Murray Goodwin came to the crease to join Adam Voges, but just after Voges reached his half century he was caught by DiVenuto and out for 54. Enter the CricketWeb Head of Sudeep Popat. To Popat's credit he did put on 44 with Murray Goodwin, but he never looked settled, he ended up getting hit on the pads trying to leg glance one from middle. Pretty pathetic shot if you ask me. From there a few wickets fell and Ervine came to finish some business with the Tasmanian bowlers, hitting 24* from 21.

6/213 from 50 overs, not good enough im afraid. 213 will never be a competitive total on this pitch. However we got an early breakthrough, with myslef taking out Michael Dighton and Michael DiVenuto for 10 and 2. Ervine was bowling well, keeping it nice and tight, and picked up the wicket of dangerman David Dawson for Tassie, however all the hard work early on was shattered when a man called Michael Bevan strode to the crease, he scored an unbeaten 97 leading his team to a 3 wicket victory, with 3 and a bit overs remaining. Pretty dissapointing loss really.

In the much anticipated battle between Hoggy and Popat, Hogg was judged the winner with his 1/44, compared to Popat's 0/28. Popat was shattered, and told me after the game he wanted to have a big game for Ronchi, but he just didn't have it in him, and was too worried about how Ronchi was doing in Royal Perth Hospital.

I was extremely happy with my 3/45, my game is coming on nicely I feel.

Retravision Player Points (Game vs Tasmania - 1D)
5 Points - AC Voges
4 Points - MEK Hussey
3 Points - DJ Watt
2 Points - SM Ervine
1 Point - KM Harvey

Overall Standings
8 Points - Dave Watt, Michael Hussey
5 Points - Adam Gilchrist, Adam Voges
4 Points - Peter Worthington
2 Points - Murray Goodwin, Sudeep Popat, Sean Ervine
1 Point - Luke Ronchi, Darren Wates, Kade Harvey

Last edited:

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Wednesday 17th November 2004
6th Entry

Our second ING Cup match was one of the longest and hardest trips in Australian domestic cricket. Facing Queensland, at the Gabba. The trek over there was pretty much uneventful, apart from a few drunken louts at the front of the plane. Sudeep read another PG Wodehouse book, I had a bit of a snooze, as did many of our team mates. All in all it was a boring trip across the boring patch of sand between Perth and Brissie.

Onto the game. I lost the toss on a beautiful wicket, and naturally Queensland decided to have a bat. Jimmy Maher fell for 1, and was bowled by a fantastic ball from Sean Ervine. Love and fellow CW player Andy Cloete put on 50 odd before Love fell for 31 from a peach of a delivery by myself. Cloete hung around, putting on 43 with Clint Perren before Perren was caught behing from the bowling of Kade Harvey. Dangerman Andy Symonds was dismissed without troubling the scorers, run out from a lovely underarm flick from Scotty Meuleman. Cloete fell just short of his 50, Caught and bowled by Popat for 49. This was Popat's first ING Cup wicket, and he celebrated accordingly. Hopes and Bichel didnt stay for very long, both being dismissed for 2 and 15. A last ditch stand between new bulls recruit Shane Watson and the keeper Wade Seccombe saw them to 8/218. The tail had a bit of a slog moving them to 9/242 from their 50 overs. A pretty dissapointing effort given the pitch conditions. Noteable bowling figures: Myself 3/48, Ervine 2/57, Popat 1/50.

I had been talking to Scotty Meuleman on the flight across and he was expressing his feelings about playing poorly in his recent few games, he put it down to Popat and co calling him Fuelman, with his history of Arson he really was getting down. I let Popat know the way Scott was feeling, and the Fuelman nickname was dumped. Consequently Scotty had his head up and a bit of confidence behind him as he went on to score 95 from 83 balls. Him and the vice captain Hussey, had an amazing partnership of 134 from 126 balls, which, by the time Meuleman fell, took us to 2/189. Late entry Shaun Marsh joined Hussey at the crease and scored a solid 15. While Hussey ended up edging one behind for 91. That brought Popat to the crease, who hit a lovely 2* from 3 balls, and combined with Goodwin, finished off the match for us with 11 overs to spare. Great performance from our lads going at a RR of 6.23.

After the match we recieved some mixed news. Luke Ronchi and Adam Voges have both recovered from their injuries, and should be back in the side for the next match against Victoria. Peter Worthington has showed no signs of improvement from his Ankle injury and will most likely miss the match at this stage. Also on other news Chris Rogers and Ben Edmondson are slowly making progress and should be back in the starting XI within a couple of weeks.

The news about Ronchi delighted Sudeep and the team, Things are looking up for us. (But not for Sudeep's game!)

Retravision Player Points (Game vs Queensland - 1D)
5 Points - SW Meuleman
4 Points - MEK Hussey
3 Points - DJ Watt
2 Points - SM Ervine
1 Point - MJ North

Overall Standings
12 Points - Michael Hussey
11 Points - Dave Watt
5 Points - Adam Gilchrist, Adam Voges, Scott Meuleman
4 Points - Peter Worthington, Sean Ervine
2 Points - Murray Goodwin, Sudeep Popat
1 Point - Luke Ronchi, Darren Wates, Kade Harvey, Marcus North

With Popat yet to haul a vote in that game, things arn't looking good for him at this stage, However he was aided by his rival, Brad Hogg, not scoring a vote in that match aswell. Interesting next couple of games ahead for Popat and his future at the WACA.

Last edited:

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Sunday 21st November 2004
7th Entry

Well long time no see. I have been extremely focussed on my cricket recently and had to do some behind the scenes work with the cricket authorities in T&T. With the sacking of DJellett, the whole saga about me leaving was fired up again. They just can't let go it seems.

Couple of recent games, mixed performances from the boys. Recent loss against QLD in the 1 dayer was a bit hard to take for us. Our bowling really let us down, letting them score 337 from 50 overs. Pick of the bowlers was myself, with 2/56 and Popat with 1/34 - The CW stars begin to find some form! With the bat Scotty Meuleman started to hit some form, hitting a run-a-ball 95 including 10 fours and 2 sixes. Hussey was another one to shine, he got another century, hitting 102 from 104. However other then these 2, there was little support to be offered. North, Voges and Goodwin only got starts. Leaving Popat and Worthington at the end with 14* and 1*. Still despite the 2 big knocks we fell 47 runs short @ 5/290. Still a respectable total on any other day.

Next up we head to Melbourne for a FC game against Victoria. I hear Popat will be eager to take on his fellow CW mate, Sangers, who has been contracted out to Victoria. Here's to hope Popat finds some form with the ball!

Retravision Player Points (Game vs Queensland - 1D)
5 Points - MEK Hussey
4 Points - SW Meuleman
3 Points - DJ Watt
2 Points - SC Popat
1 Point - MW Goodwin

Retravision Player Points (Game vs QLD - 4D)
5 Points - MJ North
4 Points - DJ Watt
3 Points - MEK Hussey
2 Points - SE Marsh
1 Point - DJ Wates

Retravision Player Points (Game vs Vic - 1D)
5 Points - KM Harvey
4 Points - DJ Watt
3 Points - MW Goodwin
2 Points - SC Popat
1 Point - GB Hogg

Overall Standings
22 Points - Dave Watt
20 Points - Michael Hussey
9 Points - Scott Meuleman
6 Points - Marcus North, Kade Harvey, Murray Goodwin, Sudeep Popat
5 Points - Adam Gilchrist, Adam Voges, Shaun Marsh
4 Points - Peter Worthington, Sean Ervine, Brad Hogg
2 Points - Darren Wates
1 Point - Luke Ronchi

After a little catching up to do on the Points Tally, it is now up to date. Popat has now moved above his spin rival in Brad Hogg and has pretty much secured a place in the starting XI for all games at the WACA as the sole spinner. The race at the top is getting close, time shall tell who cracks first, the captain, or the vice captain.