• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at Edgbaston

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Oh come on you can say Trent Bridge should not have been close but it was, bloody close.
The result was definitely close but the match didn't ever really feel close. It was only once Finn misjudged that catch that it felt like Australia might win.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It didn't feel close when England were 2 down in the 3rd innings and still 55 behind? When they were five down and only 105 ahead? When Australia were 84 without loss in their chase? Come on man.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He already admitted that he just forgot it so there really is no need to pretend that he is right.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It didn't feel close when England were 2 down in the 3rd innings and still 55 behind? When they were five down and only 105 ahead? When Australia were 84 without loss in their chase? Come on man.
As Pothas says, I've already admitted I'd forgotten about that but Australia's batting never worried me that summer.

Midwinter

State Captain
what are thoughts why Oz didn't open with Johnson and Starc ?

The only hope of winning was early wickets.

Needed the spirit of the Demon

"This worked to particularly devastating effect in the match that gave birth to the legendary Ashes series, at The Oval on 28 August 1882. In their second innings, England required a mere 85 runs to clinch the match, but Spofforth refused to give up -- "Boys," he said famously, "this thing can be done"—and led his team to a remarkable victory, one of the closest ever in the history of Test cricket."

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
what are thoughts why Oz didn't open with Johnson and Starc ?

The only hope of winning was early wickets.

Needed the spirit of the Demon

"This worked to particularly devastating effect in the match that gave birth to the legendary Ashes series, at The Oval on 28 August 1882. In their second innings, England required a mere 85 runs to clinch the match, but Spofforth refused to give up -- "Boys," he said famously, "this thing can be done"—and led his team to a remarkable victory, one of the closest ever in the history of Test cricket."
Great quote.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Admittedly I somehow forgot about Trent Bridge but I'd also argue that never really felt close. 1st innings England were miles ahead until Agar's fluke innings (that he should have been given out when he was in single figures), 2nd innings again wasn't close until Jimmeh finished his spell and Finn started bowling like a drain.

Not having Adelaide. 4 days of a bore, "winning" draw for England after getting thrashed at Brisbane before a complete capitulation on the final day. Reckon you could have set Australia 150 in 15 overs and they'd have gotten it tbh.
All depends what you class as a close match. I mean, a match like TB 05 was never close until the last session when we got jitters. It's still a close match in the end of course. But I also think of matches like Adelaide, Lord's V NZ, even to a lesser extent the game against Sri Lanka at Cardiff four years ago as close because in each case for four days the result was in the balance until transforming on the fifth.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Was traveling and didn't see any play yesterday. Good to see some effort by the tail. Pity the batsmen couldn't be bothered to hang around for the older ball. Saw Clarke say the team was playing with 10 men as the captain hadn't shown up yet on Sky. We are all saying it but I'm not sure he should be. Possibly trying to take pressure of the team but he's just putting on his shoulders.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd just like to say a big F U to the Aussies (and to an extent the English bats)

First time in years I've got the house to myself as the wife and kids are away for a few days. Got a fridge full of beers, a nice bottle of red.................but no ****ing cricket!!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'd just like to say a big F U to the Aussies (and to an extent the English bats)

First time in years I've got the house to myself as the wife and kids are away for a few days. Got a fridge full of beers, a nice bottle of red.................but no ****ing cricket!!

Time to dig out the 2005 DVDs?

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Saw Clarke say the team was playing with 10 men as the captain hadn't shown up yet on Sky. We are all saying it but I'm not sure he should be. Possibly trying to take pressure of the team but he's just putting on his shoulders.
It is interesting indeed, given how much Clarke and Lehmann seem to be men who take action will we see Clarke @ 5 at TB? Australia dearly need Clarke not only for this Ashes but for the near future imo, with Rogers going and Smith just 25 atm and still adjusting to his place at 3 it would be a tough blow if Clarke went as well.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Was traveling and didn't see any play yesterday. Good to see some effort by the tail. Pity the batsmen couldn't be bothered to hang around for the older ball. Saw Clarke say the team was playing with 10 men as the captain hadn't shown up yet on Sky. We are all saying it but I'm not sure he should be. Possibly trying to take pressure of the team but he's just putting on his shoulders.
He is a champion. I wouldn't be surprised if he responds well to the pressure.

Gob

International Coach
good that i was so busy and missed all of this. Voges is going going and gone and Shane Marsh comes in and bat @4. I would also swap Nev and MMarsh around as well since Nev is atm a far superior batsman

Noted Hypocrite Jimmy A missing at his favorite venue is a big blow to the soap dodgers. Still back Aust to win the last two tests

Furball

Evil Scotsman
All depends what you class as a close match. I mean, a match like TB 05 was never close until the last session when we got jitters. It's still a close match in the end of course. But I also think of matches like Adelaide, Lord's V NZ, even to a lesser extent the game against Sri Lanka at Cardiff four years ago as close because in each case for four days the result was in the balance until transforming on the fifth.
Personnel makes a difference I suppose. I was never at ease in 2005 because of Warne, 2013 was different because you knew Australia could collapse in heap at any time.