• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 5th Test at the Sydney Cricket Ground

Craig

World Traveller
Take Brisbane and Sydney aside, really England should be kicking themselves after Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne. Even to get a draw out of Adelaide they batted to play out time, which is something I will never understand at this point why you would do it; even if you wanted a draw, wouldn't you just bat normally and bat out the day? If Australia wanted the win then it is them who have the onus of doing so. The more negative you bat, the more likely you are going to get out, and that is against anybody in club cricket all the way to the Test arena.

And take Perth, after bowling them out under 250, and not to get a lead of some sort was criminal, really anything from a 100-200 lead, to owing to the performances of Clarke, Hussey and Gilchrist, they would have had a better chance of winning or again saving the Test at need be. Or even perhaps that wouldn't have happened as the English bowlers would have been motivated and Australia in all sorts of trouble trying to get out of a hole?

And Melbourne despite being rolled for 159, and to have a team 5-84, and not being able to roll them for around your total and or even to get a handy 10 or 20 run lead is poor IMO. They haven't been without their chances, just unfortunatly they haven't taken them. As for Stuart Clark, I think they could have played him a lot better and looked to have got runs off him, especially ones, twos and threes. As good as he is, I think if he is attacked then he does start to go for a few and you are on top, as is the case with any bowler. It will be interested to see how he will cope if he comes on two aggressive batsmen who are attacking him (I am talking about top drawer players like Mohammed Yousef, Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Lara etc.) and like wise he had to bowl to Ricky Ponting in Test cricket.

So there I have put some time, effort and thought into, does anybody agree with me or not as I would hope it doesn't get ignored.

Fiery

Banned
You make some valid points Craig. Before it all began, I looked forward to this series with great interest. I had spent the previous 15 months wondering how England could have managed to get their hands on the Ashes when half of the Australian team were legends of the game and a few were well on their way to becoming one (e.g, Hussey).
I had heard former greats like Botham and Lillee scoff at their age and write them off as has-beens (which I thought was a bit bizaare from two macho characters who played to fairly ripe ages). Then just before things kicked off I realised England did not have a hope once one of their star players proved himself to be weak in the head and could not handle the extreme rigours of travelling the world playing the great game he loved, staying in 5-star hotels and getting paid a 6 figure salary in Pound Stirling, and their well-respected captain Vaughan, probably their one proven world-class batsman was injured.
I hoped guys like Strauss, who I thought could stand up to the Aussies, would show some back-bone and Pietersen and Flintoff would rise to the top like cream and show their great talent. Pietersen held his head up and was inspirational at times, particularly with the disrespect he showed to Warne and McGrath. I was disappointed with Flintoff overall despite brief flourishes of belligerence, (clearly not ready for the captaincy, and it showed with his body-language). Bell was excruciatingly negative and the same could be said for Collingwood, who is cricket's answer to Jim Furyk in technique but at least showed some ticker to conteract his lack of talent. Cook showed some promise without making any of the Barmy Army write home to Old Blighty.
The tour proved once again that England haven't had a keeper worth his salt since Allan Knott (and I include Alec Stewart who was a batsman who kept cos everyone else in England at the time was ****).
As far as the bowling goes, the decision to even select Ashley Giles, not to mention play him in this series beggars belief considering the Aussies have spent the last 10 years seeing how decidely average he is, and considering they had a good, keen, talented young guy in Panesar who could turn it a bit, sitting on the bench with his thumb up his ass. It would have given them huge relief (mental and comical) to see Gile's name on the team-sheet and given them a distinct psychological advantage before a ball was bowled. Steve Harmison showed himself to have the heart the size of a pea and entered the series unfit. He was walking back to his mark huffing and puffing like a 45 year old chain-smoking prostitute after a session with Warnie on speed in that first test. Hoggard did alright for a plodder.
Onto the Aussies, the old stalwarts at the top of the order all proved just how good they were. Symonds showed that if he plays with discipline he's capable of anything. Hussey and Gilchrist are both freaks. Warne could probably play for another ten years, no matter how fat he gets, but would rather eat pizza and root women. Stuart Clark is a very good bowler, although the prospect of another 10 years of having to watch a metronomical, colourless bowler like McGrath frustrate batsmen out fills me with despair.
In summary, (just to make the article seem more professional), the Australians played the series pretty much perfectly and everyone played their part. My thoughts are well known on the extremely gay way they celebrate wickets and victories but they deserve to be applauded for the way they have clinically disposed of England. Having said all this, NZ is going to absolutely smash both these teams in every game in the Commonweath Bank Series

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Lol you aren't a fan of the English eh Fiery? :p

It's ironic about Harmison about his troubles away from home, yet it it has been on tour where he made a name for himself (West Indies 2004). The lack of preparation is another key point for me. Do the ECB have any say over the Tour games selected? Because if they do it beggers belief they wouldn't want a a Tour game against Queensland at the 'Gabba. The PM's XI game is meaningless, as was the two day game against NSW. They were better off coming here straight from India, and if you have to play your PM's game, ask for it to be played at a later date, have your game against South Australia (at the same length), but at the time they played the PM team and NSW, and head up and play Queensland in a three day game in the last full week before the Test began.

Not only does it save time in having to travel from Sydney to Adelaide and to Brisbane, but you get used to the pitch conditions at the 'Gabba (which is different from Adelaide, Sydney and Canberra) and so is the weather. To use the excuse you were outplayed is one of the the biggest cop-outs I have ever seen.

Craig

World Traveller
You make some valid points Craig. Before it all began, I looked forward to this series with great interest. I had spent the previous 15 months wondering how England could have managed to get their hands on the Ashes when half of the Australian team were legends of the game and a few were well on their way to becoming one (e.g, Hussey).
I had heard former greats like Botham and Lillee scoff at their age and write them off as has-beens (which I thought was a bit bizaare from two macho characters who played to fairly ripe ages). Then just before things kicked off I realised England did not have a hope once one of their star players proved himself to be weak in the head and could not handle the extreme rigours of travelling the world playing the great game he loved, staying in 5-star hotels and getting paid a 6 figure salary in Pound Stirling, and their well-respected captain Vaughan, probably their one proven world-class batsman was injured.
I hoped guys like Strauss, who I thought could stand up to the Aussies, would show some back-bone and Pietersen and Flintoff would rise to the top like cream and show their great talent. Pietersen held his head up and was inspirational at times, particularly with the disrespect he showed to Warne and McGrath. I was disappointed with Flintoff overall despite brief flourishes of belligerence, (clearly not ready for the captaincy, and it showed with his body-language). Bell was excruciatingly negative and the same could be said for Collingwood, who is cricket's answer to Jim Furyk in technique but at least showed some ticker to conteract his lack of talent. Cook showed some promise without making any of the Barmy Army write home to Old Blighty.
The tour proved once again that England haven't had a keeper worth his salt since Allan Knott (and I include Alec Stewart who was a batsman who kept cos everyone else in England at the time was ****).
As far as the bowling goes, the decision to even select Ashley Giles, not to mention play him in this series beggars belief considering the Aussies have spent the last 10 years seeing how decidely average he is, and considering they had a good, keen, talented young guy in Panesar who could turn it a bit, sitting on the bench with his thumb up his ass. It would have given them huge relief (mental and comical) to see Gile's name on the team-sheet and given them a distinct psychological advantage before a ball was bowled. Steve Harmison showed himself to have the heart the size of a pea and entered the series unfit. He was walking back to his mark huffing and puffing like a 45 year old chain-smoking prostitute after a session with Warnie on speed in that first test. Hoggard did alright for a plodder.
The Australians played the series pretty much perfectly and everyone played their part. My thoughts are well known on the extremely gay way they celebrate wickets and victories but they deserve to be applauded for the way they have clinical disposed of England. Bring on the one-dayers. NZ's going to smash both of them!
I don't know about anybody else, and you would agree with me, but this patting each other on the backsides is a too much village people for mine :ph34r:

God only knows what Dan Cullen might have gone through before his first Test :ph34r: :p

Slow Love™

International Captain
Surely there's nothing wrong with a bit of grabass between friends. Like Haydos said after the match, it's mateship, the Australian way.

Fiery

Banned
Lol you aren't a fan of the English eh Fiery? :p
I actually like English people in general. I lived in London for 3 years and loved it. I'm just frustrated that such a great country, who saved us from the Nazi's, are so woefully inept at sport on such a consistent basis, apart from the odd exception like '66 and the last Rugby World Cup (which is still mind-boggling). I know what it is though...It's the staple diet of mushy peas, fish and chips and Sainsbury's ready-made dinners and the lack of sunshine that have produced a nation of obese wasters. To all English fathers out there: Make your kids get outside and kick a ball, instead of sitting inside playing Playstation and watching MTV you pommy gits! That will give you more time on Cricketweb.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I actually like English people in general. I lived in London for 3 years and loved it. I'm just frustrated that such a great country, who saved us from the Nazi's, are so woefully inept at sport on such a consistent basis, apart from the odd exception like '66 and the last Rugby World Cup (which is still mind-boggling). I know what it is though...It's the staple diet of mushy peas, fish and chips and Sainsbury's ready-made dinners and the lack of sunshine that have produced a nation of obese wasters. To all English fathers out there: Make your kids get outside and kick a ball, instead of sitting inside playing Playstation and watching MTV you pommy gits! That will give you more time on Cricketweb.
Genuine :lol: there.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, no I just laughed at how random it was with the point you were making, but your 'throwing them a bone' comment was quite humorous as well. ;)

Fiery

Banned
Lol, no I just laughed at how random it was with the point you were making, but your 'throwing them a bone' comment was quite humorous as well. ;)
Ah OK. You might laugh Jono, but some of you youngsters may not have any understanding of the significance in world history of Churchill's pig-headed defiance of Hitler's juggernaut army of the time and thought it might be a timely reminder to restore some pride in grieving England fans :dry:

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Image completely in-appropriate and I would have thought someone like yourself would know better.

Warning.
I do not know how a man boob pic is inappropriate. Silly of you to warn on that really but it is your forum. In any case, I would have thought some one like yourself would have known that I wouldn't be doing some thing like breaking forum rules intentionally. No one can know every thing which will be deemed appropriate or inappropriate.

Bye bye.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I do not know how a man boob pic is inappropriate. Silly of you to warn on that really but it is your forum. In any case, I would have thought some one like yourself would have known that I wouldn't be doing some thing like breaking forum rules intentionally. No one can know every thing which will be deemed appropriate or inappropriate.

Bye bye.

Crack out the box of tissues

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: Mind you, I cried like a baby when I got told off for using the word "******" and when Lostman called me a "wanker" so...You watch your tongue young man Pratyush.

James, you run a tight ship sir :thumbup1:
You actually called someone a ******? Well there you go, 100 lashings.