• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** County Cricket 2020

Chubb

International Regular
Somerset i believe are favourites for this trophy. Look impressive and have a fair amount of depth in their squad too
It would be sad if Somerset were to win and it's not officially the County Championship, given they've gone so close recently and have never won the CC in 100+ years.

Woodster

International Captain
Surrey batting themselves into a hole at Chelmsford and it’s tough for them to instil an alternative strategy. Harmer is turning it square and Porter nibbling it around with it going slightly up and down and very little lose stuff on offer. Cook has now replaced Porter and a similar spell is ensuing.

The visitors are 42/2 off 30 overs, logic would suggest they’re going to have to be more positive and try and unsettle this Essex attack, but it’s simply easier said than done.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Surrey batting themselves into a hole at Chelmsford and it’s tough for them to instil an alternative strategy. Harmer is turning it square and Porter nibbling it around with it going slightly up and down and very little lose stuff on offer. Cook has now replaced Porter and a similar spell is ensuing.

The visitors are 42/2 off 30 overs, logic would suggest they’re going to have to be more positive and try and unsettle this Essex attack, but it’s simply easier said than done.
Yeah, I'm not holding it against this depleted Surrey line-up being outplayed by Harmer and Porter.

Woodster

International Captain
Yeah, I'm not holding it against this depleted Surrey line-up being outplayed by Harmer and Porter.
No, very inexperienced side and to be fair they are digging in hard. Very difficult to go on the attack against this bowling unit, maybe this dogged resistance can see them through to the draw, it’s just the kind of pitch where your name’s on one of these wicked deliveries.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
No, very inexperienced side and to be fair they are digging in hard. Very difficult to go on the attack against this bowling unit, maybe this dogged resistance can see them through to the draw, it’s just the kind of pitch where your name’s on one of these wicked deliveries.
If memory serves, in their previous game the last five wickets fell for 4 runs, so this will probably end quickly once Essex work through the middle order. Elsewhere, good finishes in sight for Hampshire/Middlesex and Yorkshire/Notts.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Whatever happens today, I hope that Will Jacks' performances kick on this year. My impression is that he's a talented player who made a decent start to his career in 2018 but didn't move on from there in 2019. Because of how many players are missing, he's been given the opportunity to bat at 4, so lets see if he can make something of it over the next few weeks.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Some great matches so far this season.

Heroic performance from Weatherley. Barker could hardly run but made batting look way easier than everyone else as soon as he came in.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not looking so good now; six gone, all of them to Harmer. He qualifies for England before too long, doesn't he?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Quite possibly. But Surrey's tail-enders are so inexperienced that you'd think the bowler(s) at the other end will snag at least one of them. No sign of Bopara so far this season though. I don't know whether he's injured or retired.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I don't know when he qualifies for England. Or how his Kolpak standing is effected by us leaving the EU this year.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I don't know when he qualifies for England. Or how his Kolpak standing is effected by us leaving the EU this year.
It was tongue in cheek. I don't think anybody knows quite what will happen after kolpak ends. I think he will continue to play as an overseas player, but unsure if/when he would be eligible to play for England. Probably getting a bit long in the tooth for ECB to want to push that through. Unfortunately I can't see him ever playing for RSA again.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It was tongue in cheek. I don't think anybody knows quite what will happen after kolpak ends. I think he will continue to play as an overseas player, but unsure if/when he would be eligible to play for England. Probably getting a bit long in the tooth for ECB to want to push that through. Unfortunately I can't see him ever playing for RSA again.
I could see him touring one of the Asian countries when the side needs 2 or even 3 spinners. Who knows whether that's for England or SA.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I could see him touring one of the Asian countries when the side needs 2 or even 3 spinners. Who knows whether that's for England or SA.
He burnt his bridges in RSA to an extent, and with the current political climate I can't ever see him being selected even as a 3rd spinner fro RSA.

Chubb

International Regular
I love Harmer but he didn't set the world on fire when he played tests in India, on raging turners (that was the infamous series where SA just gave up trying to score runs on the last day). I'm not convinced he will trouble good players of spin in their own conditions.