• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I understand why Wigans punishment applied when it did. But why the discrepancy between Sheff Wed and Macc?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I’m not even bothering to read it. But Stevenage must be the luckiest team ever. Three wins all season and surviving through one team going out of business and another deducted 15 points.

tony p

First Class Debutant
I understand why Wigans punishment applied when it did. But why the discrepancy between Sheff Wed and Macc?
The discrepancy between Sheff Wed and Macc?, nobody knows, certainly the E.F.L don't.
If they are for the same reasons, (financial?), all divisions should be the same, Macc have lost their league status over this, ( maybe deservedly), but it's harsh.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IIRC they brought the points deduction in because Leicester went into administration, defaulted on a load of debt, then immediately started spending big and got promoted. 15 points seems quite lenient to me.

IMO the only fair outcome would be booting clubs in administration out of the league outright. Why should everyone else have to compete with clubs who saved money by only paying their staff a fraction of what they were owed? But it's kind of the point of administration that everyone accepts a bit of injustice to keep the show on the road.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
IIRC they brought the points deduction in because Leicester went into administration, defaulted on a load of debt, then immediately started spending big and got promoted. 15 points seems quite lenient to me.

IMO the only fair outcome would be booting clubs in administration out of the league outright. Why should everyone else have to compete with clubs who saved money by only paying their staff a fraction of what they were owed? But it's kind of the point of administration that everyone accepts a bit of injustice to keep the show on the road.
Macc weren't deducted points for going into admin though.

I mean, broadly I agree that they should be punished. And yet Bury were promoted from L2 last season despite not paying players wages and nothing was done until the summer.

It's just so inconsistent. The EFL are making it up as they go along.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The EFL would cease to exist in about 2 years if you did that.
How exactly, not that many teams go into admin, and being thrown out of the league, just means you can get promoted next year. Having said that it's a somewhat arbitrary and draconian idea, and would probably cause more rubbish team staying in divisions they don't belong in, so not really sure it's necessary.

That Leicester thing seemed to be an huge one-off, Not sure any other teams have been able to spend their way to brilliance, after admin, most need to do it to stave off bankruptcy. so the 15 point deficit seems to have been a reasonable deterrent.

flibbertyjibber

What's the beef with Leipzig? Genuine question as I don't keep up-to-date with these things.
The fact they were a nothing club bought out and taken up 4 leagues and into the Champions League by Red Bull in 10 years. As hated as Bayern Munich in Germany and that says a lot. Basically Salford on acid.

morgieb

The fact they were a nothing club bought out and taken up 4 leagues and into the Champions League by Red Bull in 10 years. As hated as Bayern Munich in Germany and that says a lot. Basically Salford on acid.
It's worse than that. They weren't even bought out by Red Bull. Instead Red Bull literally created the club from scratch!