• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2020-21

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Salary cap in L1&2. Given how some of our competitors have been spending, could be interesting.

Also I have it on good authority that James Norwood is on 9k a week at Ipswich and not their highest earner. That's already a fifth of the cap. I presume there's some allowance for contracts already in place as otherwise things are going to get very ugly.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Some of the "bigger" clubs did their recruiting in haste so as to avoid it, so there must be some leeway - but I can't be arsed to look up the details. I know we were against it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They'd phase in a salary cap surely? Especially if it's a hard cap
Effective immediately. We've deliberately done hardly any business (no contracts renewed and one signing) as we were waiting for this so I don't know the mechanisms. See how it plays out I guess.

Also @grecian you've got a decent player there in Caprice. Not a world beater and in a 442 against a decent left winger he will have a bad day, but the lad bombs forward brilliantly and you would never accuse him of shirking.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Effective immediately. We've deliberately done hardly any business (no contracts renewed and one signing) as we were waiting for this so I don't know the mechanisms. See how it plays out I guess.

Also @grecian you've got a decent player there in Caprice. Not a world beater and in a 442 against a decent left winger he will have a bad day, but the lad bombs forward brilliantly and you would never accuse him of shirking.
Yeah was going to ask, but still not really thinking about next season, still seems so bleak.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Hadn't considered stuff like that.

Surely to **** there's a reckoning coming for Barcelona?
Well they just took a 800m Euro loan from Goldman Sachs to pay for a stadium upgrade which seems ludicrous to me. That club has been run abysmally over the last ten years and they've got guys like Griezmann on 800k a week so I wouldn't be stunned to see them in a hole but someone will bail them out surely.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
United are 600m in debt and about to buy Sancho for 120m and its seen as a win for football by the general public so I think the good United boys at Salford are safe like you say.
They won at our gaff last season in the B Team Cup and their weirdo fans were singing about how they hated Tranmere, I was watching online with my brother (I don't attend the B Team Cup but it was in my enforced absence from games anyway) and we just looked at each other like wtf

But it gets spun by the likes of BBC as a fairytale success story, any footy fan, not just lower league nerds and the like, knows what they are. It's bizarre tbh.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well they just took a 800m Euro loan from Goldman Sachs to pay for a stadium upgrade which seems ludicrous to me. That club has been run abysmally over the last ten years and they've got guys like Griezmann on 800k a week so I wouldn't be stunned to see them in a hole but someone will bail them out surely.
Yeah, clubs like Barcelona have plenty of very serious creditors for whom it would be far less damaging to provide bailouts than watch them go under/to the wall.

It's the clubs in the next tier down, who have serious expenditure, but are not exactly commercial juggernauts, who will be looking nervously over their shoulder. Teams like Arsenal or Spurs for instance will be fine (ish) for another season or so I should imagine, but if at the start of next season there are still no live crowds then... well... Things will get very dicey, one suspects.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, clubs like Barcelona have plenty of very serious creditors for whom it would be far less damaging to provide bailouts than watch them go under/to the wall.

It's the clubs in the next tier down, who have serious expenditure, but are not exactly commercial juggernauts, who will be looking nervously over their shoulder. Teams like Arsenal or Spurs for instance will be fine (ish) for another season or so I should imagine, but if at the start of next season there are still no live crowds then... well... Things will get very dicey, one suspects.
Uncle Stan selling the club would be lovely.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Can't think of ever feeling so underwhelmed about new season fixtures coming out.
I agree with that. After this promotion, which was already a hollow feeling, I’d normally be checking on trips to Portsmouth, Sunderland and Ipswich. But you can’t even plan home games never mind away. I can’t see fans returning at the beginning of October the way things are going at the moment.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree with that. After this promotion, which was already a hollow feeling, I’d normally be checking on trips to Portsmouth, Sunderland and Ipswich. But you can’t even plan home games never mind away. I can’t see fans returning at the beginning of October the way things are going at the moment.
Such a tough division with so many big sides in Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich and Hull. Add in Wigan, Charlton and Peterborough and it is as strong a League 1 I can remember but it all feels a little bit meh.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Aberdeen match postponed. I knew the season would be interrupted but I thought they might squeeze in a couple of clear weeks.
If I had my way they'd be forfeiting the game with a 3-0 loss, given that the situation is entirely the fault of 8 of their squad going out on the piss on Saturday night.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If I had my way they'd be forfeiting the game with a 3-0 loss, given that the situation is entirely the fault of 8 of their squad going out on the piss on Saturday night.
Hardly fair on the rest of the division that St Johnstone get a freebie