• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

************Official IPL 2020******

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
IPL 2021 retained/released players list:

there will be a bidding war between punjab and chennai for steve smith i think

he's probably going to be csk captain after msd leaves if csk get him for a few years at least
I dont think we needed to retain Raina. We have to punt on some other players. Without Raina, our purse would also be around 35 Cr or more actually.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I dont think we needed to retain Raina. We have to punt on some other players. Without Raina, our purse would also be around 35 Cr or more actually.
Two possibilities :

1. CSK need Raina to be a leader of sorts while they convert their retirement home to a decent working mens hostel. Also given it is probably Dhoni s last season, Raina maybe even offered captaincy for a couple of years.

2. Srini is really pissed at Raina missing last IPL and wants to screw his career by not letting him get a better deal elsewhere and stifle him here in CSK. Probably even bench him for a lot of games.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Two possibilities :

1. CSK need Raina to be a leader of sorts while they convert their retirement home to a decent working mens hostel. Also given it is probably Dhoni s last season, Raina maybe even offered captaincy for a couple of years.

2. Srini is really pissed at Raina missing last IPL and wants to screw his career by not letting him get a better deal elsewhere and stifle him here in CSK. Probably even bench him for a lot of games.
2. wont make sense coz he is a retained player and as such is one of the top 3 earners in the side. If he is released, very possible he actually earns much lesser. I just think they kissed and made up and are now hoping he comes through for us. Wait for stats like "CSK has never not made play-offs when Raina is in the side" :p

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Not quite sure what we (RCB) are playing at - surprised we let go of Morris, stunned we let go of Dube. Yes we have the 2nd biggest budget remaining but not many good Indian players available and with a new franchise or 2 next year if anything fewer players may be allowed to be retained then in most big auctions so seems a big gamble if you are banking on having an unbalanced squad this year in order to bag another high quality player or 2 to retain for next year.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Not quite sure what we (RCB) are playing at - surprised we let go of Morris, stunned we let go of Dube. Yes we have the 2nd biggest budget remaining but not many good Indian players available and with a new franchise or 2 next year if anything fewer players may be allowed to be retained then in most big auctions so seems a big gamble if you are banking on having an unbalanced squad this year in order to bag another high quality player or 2 to retain for next year.
Dubey has been promising big and delivering far less for some time now. His bowling has become a meme and batting largely inconsistent. I think RCB probably expects Sundar to take up additional responsibilities.

I think by getting Sams, they are planning to fill the Morris hole.

Also, Josh Philippe will become a regular and a WK while Abdv will be freed of some burden. So most likely the following will make the four overseas players in the XI

Abdv
Philippe
Sams
Zappa

Philippe (WK)
Padikkal
Kohli
Abdv
Sundar (all rounder)
Sams (all rounder)
Zampa
Chahal
Siraj

They will need two good Indian middle order batsmen to fill in the blanks. Also, I expect Shahbaz to bowl more this IPL and offer variety which means Zampa might get benched - which will free up a overseas slot for a good middle order batsmen. So I won't be surprised if RCB goes all out for Steve Smith.

Not fully convinced retaining both Chahal and Zampa makes a lot of sense.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Dubey has been promising big and delivering far less for some time now. His bowling has become a meme and batting largely inconsistent. I think RCB probably expects Sundar to take up additional responsibilities.

I think by getting Sams, they are planning to fill the Morris hole.

Also, Josh Philippe will become a regular and a WK while Abdv will be freed of some burden. So most likely the following will make the four overseas players in the XI

Abdv
Philippe
Sams
Zappa

Philippe (WK)
Padikkal
Kohli
Abdv
Sundar (all rounder)
Sams (all rounder)
Zampa
Chahal
Siraj

They will need two good Indian middle order batsmen to fill in the blanks. Also, I expect Shahbaz to bowl more this IPL and offer variety which means Zampa might get benched - which will free up a overseas slot for a good middle order batsmen. So I won't be surprised if RCB goes all out for Steve Smith.

Not fully convinced retaining both Chahal and Zampa makes a lot of sense.
I thought Dube done enough to be persisted with but I guess 5 crore is a sizeable amount to free up and we hopefully can get him for cheaper in the auction although I'm not too sure with lack of established Indian players around.

I'm not sure about Phillipe at all - no problem retaining him given he was bought for only 20 lakh and you need depth in overseas players. Not sure about Sams either and such a lineup leaves the franchise scrambling for the very thing there is not a whole lot of - Indian quality middle-order batsman. You would imagine KXIP may go in aggressively for a Dinesh Karthik and with so few Indian players you imagine those Indian players available will be hard to get. It seems weird to basically let go of our 2 main Indian middle-order options, its unlikely we'll need the 50 lakh we gained by letting go of Gurkeerat Singh Mann. Agree about Zampa - 1.5 crore and its unlikely he plays if we bring good overseas players in - if Zampa justifies the 1.5 crore fee of retaining him I think that says that we had a bad auction.

At least with Morris he is an overseas player so will be easier to replace but I'd have gone with the following I think -

Paddikal
Sundar
Kohli
(overseas bat)
ABDV (overseas)
(Indian bat ideally DK although that would be unlikely)
Dube
Morris (overseas)
K Richardson (overseas)
Chahal
Siraj/Saini

Apart from those in the first team would have retained Gurkeerat Singh Mann, Josh Phillipe, and Shahbdaz Ahmed.

Would give us 21.9 crore for an overseas batsman - I'd go for Root and a second option when he isn't available and try for DK although that is unlikely. As a worst case scenario bring Gurkeerat Singh Mann into the XI and have him as a floater - if we are doing well bring Dube and Morris further up - if we are not doing well he can do a bit of a repair job.

Edit - just remembered DK was actually retained - saw so much before the retention that he would be released, I had forgotten lol. DK must be devastated as could have broken records for auction fee if he was released I think. Intrigued what RCB do next year with retentions by the start of IPL 2022 - the first after mega auction - ABD is 38, Kohli is 32, Chahal is 31, whilst I was saying keep Morris he would be 34, turning 35 halfway through IPL 2022 - whilst it would be a shock if Kohli and Chahal were not still fixtures of the franchise by the next mega-auction, could you bank on a 40 year old ABD - maybe but not a guarantee either. Whilst it's easier to replace him as an overseas player than if he was Indian - you are still losing out. Is there much room for long-term optimism for the franchise?

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
DK has been retained by KKR.

I am not sure letting go of Morris is the best idea but maybe they have Jamieson in their minds. Hesson is the director of RCB's cricket operations, after all. They also got Harshal Patel. I honestly dont think Zampa will get many games, they are just keeping him away from another team.