• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Ireland in England 2020**

Bijed

International Regular
Willey's handy with the bat
His most valuable batting contribution he's made for us, this.

Well done him and Billings for having the sense to play the match situation. I do not want to hear anyone in the England camp excusing the bad dismissals as "the way we play, the way that's brought us success in the past" or "backing our positive approach".

Jack1

International Debutant
Good win for England. Bairstow with a brilliant knock. Nice partnership to bring it home.

Howe_zat

Audio File
His most valuable batting contribution he's made for us, this.

Well done him and Billings for having the sense to play the match situation. I do not want to hear anyone in the England camp excusing the bad dismissals as "the way we play, the way that's brought us success in the past" or "backing our positive approach".
It totally is though. They did this in the world cup semi final and it was amazing.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Big ticks to Willey and Billings for their efforts in the series so far.Hain

Not so much for Vince or Banton though.
Vince needs binning, Banton needs to concentrate on T20.

Would be nice to see Lawrence and hain get a go now, but neither are in the squad, but Livingstone has to play I presume (yeah sorry:unsure:

Bijed

International Regular
It totally is though. They did this in the world cup semi final and it was amazing.
Oh, I don't mean that is would be inaccurate to say those things, more that it just feels like on the occasions where our approach has come a bit unstuck the "official" attitude is a bit "well yeah, but it's worked before so we'll just keep on doing it."

That semi final was amazing though

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Dawson really should get a go over Moeen.

Moeen way more talented but his batting is just so careless, and bowling is just defensive. Numbers have been poor for a while. For a guy whose batted in the top 3 and middle order for England in test cricket some of his batting in ODI cricket is completely lacking in common sense and craftsmanship. Batting at 7 is tough but Moeen just doesn't use his head enough. There are times when England batting second are miles ahead of the game and they just need a risk free knock but Moeen doesn't seem to have that ability right now. It shouldn't be that hard to score a fairly risk free 40* off 55 balls in positions like today, and yet we rarely see it from Mo. Of course Dawson doesn't have the ability to score a 53 ball odi hundred like Mo does, but when you've got the rest of top 6 all capable of scoring hundreds in 75 balls or less, and the likes of Woakes/willey behind him you can afford to lose a bit of power for some composure/stability. Dawson maybe not upto it but Moeen doesn't deserve his place in the team imo.

Good for depth that Willey and BIllings doing well.

grecian

Moeens place in limited overs has always been on different type stats then we normally use as a good cricketer, yes he doesn't score quite enough runs, but when he does his strike-rate is awesome, and he doesn't take enough wickets but his run-rate is low.

I am not convinced myself, actually think we should try to get Bess ( hideous record at list a, but only 15 games played at 23)playing more limited overs, but nothing excites me about the definition of meh Dawson, but maybe he should get a run if only to justify all the England Stipends he's picked up.

Starfighter

Fancy opening up the highlights to find that Reece Topley is a thing again (though still not bowling as quickly as he did in u19 iirc) and James Vince picking up a wicket (though granted, he looks way better a bowler than Jonathan Trott).

DriveClub

International Regular
Moeens place in limited overs has always been on different type stats then we normally use as a good cricketer, yes he doesn't score quite enough runs, but when he does his strike-rate is awesome, and he doesn't take enough wickets but his run-rate is low.

I am not convinced myself, actually think we should try to get Bess ( hideous record at list a, but only 15 games played at 23)playing more limited overs, but nothing excites me about the definition of meh Dawson, but maybe he should get a run if only to justify all the England Stipends he's picked up.
Ollie pope will be a good addition to the odi squad i think

grecian

Ollie pope will be a good addition to the odi squad i think
I would normally agree, but I am so frustrated that Hain is not there, I could get angry at others leap-frogging him.

I genuinely feel England selectors are just being stubborn now, and worried he'll prove them wrong.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It's been said before, but Vince really doesn't want to build any sort of international carer, does he. Such an opportunity to do something worthwhile today.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's been said before, but Vince really doesn't want to build any sort of international carer, does he. Such an opportunity to do something worthwhile today.
Just a clear opportunity in this series in general really. Home ground, three games, mostly low scores to chase, familiar county-esque bowling attack. Still no good.